• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

I saw a group photo in an antique shop this weekend, dated 1936, and taken at Wortham Field in Fort Worth. A very small football field, it appeared. I have done a search and came across nothing. Anyone have any info on that? Thanks.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Sure doesn't sound familiar to me. I wonder if it was a typo. I have seen those.

(Somebody in sheboygan typing Fort Worth Meacham too fast?)
www.fortworthview.com

#3 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I saw a group photo in an antique shop this weekend, dated 1936, and taken at Wortham Field in Fort Worth. A very small football field, it appeared. I have done a search and came across nothing. Anyone have any info on that? Thanks.

I just did a google search on it. Apparently it was a football stadium for the North Side located next to LaGrave Field. Here is the source for the information:

http://books.google.... worth"&f=false
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#4 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

That makes sense but looking at the web site, I couldn't find a reference to Wortham Field. Did you find out what teams played there?

I just did a google search on it. Apparently it was a football stadium for the North Side located next to LaGrave Field. Here is the source for the information:

http://books.google.... worth"&f=false

#5 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

The reference to Wortham Field should be highlighted in yellow when you open up the Google Books link. It does not mention any specific teams - only that it was a football stadium for the North Side. My guess (and that is all it is) is that there were probably various private, very local community type teams/leagues just as there are today. And my guess is it is very possible that there might have been teams comprised of workers from the nearby stockyards which, at the time, employed many thousands of people.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users