• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Some historins think that eunice gray , who was a resident here for many years , and ran a hotel ,was the famous etta place . The same ette place connected to butch cassidy and the sundance kid. does anyone have anything to add ?

#2 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

That story has been around for years, kind of like the Jesse James burial under an alias name in a local cemetery story. (since disproven) If anyone would know or have something to add it would likely be Dr. Richard Selcer who researched and wrote the book Hell's Half Acre about Fort Worth's infamous red light district in the 1800's. Selcer was able to connect with documentation a number of old West outlaws and figures to Fort Worth back in the early days. It's been some time since I last read the book but I seem to recall Selcer looked at the whole Butch Cassidy-Sundance Kid saga and the results were inconclusive. Outlaws back then, as now, don't exactly like to keep a high public profile. It was nothing short of amazing that the Sundance gang stopped by Swartz Studios where John Swartz took the only known photo of the wild bunch all decked out in their Sunday best. Given all of the various warrants and bounties against the gang members not surprisingly the trail of evidence now is quite faint especially after the passage of so much time.

#3 bonesniffer

bonesniffer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

http://www.genealogu...s-no-place.html

I did extensive research on Eunice Gray..the answer to who she is, was always in local records, but failed to be researched.  She was not Etta Place. Please see the answer in the link. I have to admit, Eunice's own story was very interesting.     

Donna Donnell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users