• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

A statue of Ripley Arnold is to be erected on a TRV site, as this ST article by Bill Hanna explains. As an afficionado of Fort Worth history, I find this gratifying.

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#2 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I like this idea very much; I'm a big fan of outdoor sculpture. Does anybody know exactly the location where Ripley will stand? :)

Bruce Burton

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

I too am in favor of public art (statues) and other historical markers; and think that this is a good idea that is long overdue. Each time that I drive pass the north side of the Courthouse, I find myself considering what would be an appropriate memorial at such a prominent and important spot in the City and the County. Maybe, Native Americans and Settlers in peaceful coexistence, though that would be revisionist history; or maybe a scene of a cattle drive.

Keep Fort Worth Folksy

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I missed a Native American event hosted by the TRV this morning but this article in the North Texas eNews shows the rather prominent statute of Major Ripley Arnold that will erected on site.

http://www.ntxe-news...cle_83479.shtml

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Is this perhaps a rendering of the plaza? When you google "John V. McMillan Plaza" it comes up but it's somewhere in that article you posted.

8954793_vk.jpg

#6 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I didn't realize TRV was getting ready to build a plaza along the river. Good to hear!

- Dylan

#7 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ripley Arnold is honored with a city park (Arnold Park) at the junction of Samuels Avenue & Cold Springs road near his burial place in Pioneers Rest. His two young children, Sophie and Willis, died in the summer of 1850 of a contracted illness and were laid to rest as the first burials in what became The City Cemetery and later renamed Pioneers Rest. The original land for the burials was donated by French immigrant Dr. Aldolphus Gouhenant, his name later shortened by local's as Gounah. A street by that name still runs east off Samuels Avenue. Dr. Gouhenant was a good friend of Arnold. Arnold, who was a native of Mississippi, graduated from West Point military academy in July 1838. Although considered by some of his fellow cadets as somewhat of a rogue, he proved his worth in Florida in the Indian wars in that state. By the time he was sent to Fort Worth, he was a seasoned officer and had performed his duties well. It was a frontier custom to settle near military outposts for safety and protection from Native American tribes and Fort Worth was no exception. By the time the Fort Was vacated in September 1853 the frontier had moved west and the former fort had the makings of a town clustered around a square. Ripley Arnold had done his duty well. I have a feeling had Arnold not died an untimely death, he might have resettled in Fort Worth upon his retirement. It's very fitting he should be honored with a statue so Fort Worth citizens can remember their city's founder.   

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I personally think this is great.  There is so much land that was part of the old Tandy Center Parking Lot that has been planted with grass, yet it doesn't serve any purpose.  Putting more of this land into public use is good.  John S., thanks for giving us a little history. 

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Update on the dedication of the Ripley Arnold statue to be placed in the McMillan Plaza at the north end of Taylor Street:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/04/26/5767835/a-long-awaited-monument-will-be.html 

#10 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Funny how this twist in history created Fort Worth.  The city's namesake, General Worth, never visited the camp site (according to Sanders article in S-T) and his place of honor is New York City (! ..."get a rope!"...just kidding).  Major Arnold must have been a humble, self-effacing person.  Otherwise, we might be living in "Arnoldsville" or "Fort Arnold."

#11 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I put this little piece on Facebook the other day:

IS RIPLEY ARNOLD CRINGING? The article (irritatingly paywalled below) about Ripley Arnold in the FWST was pretty good and certainly if a Fort Worth historical figure deserves more recognition, it should be Arnold.

However, placing his memorial in the little park at the far north end of Taylor Street on banks of the Trinity seems strange and rather inappropriate. For one thing it isn't very close to the original Fort on the bluff. And, it's at least 100' lower than the elevation of today's Courthouse which was just to the east of the Fort itself. 

Also, Arnold specifically sited the Fort high on the bluff to avoid what was called the unhealthy miasma of the bogs along the river in order to keep his troops healthy. The dampness, the mud and the mosquitoes were definitely something to be avoided. He and M.T. Johnson who owned the bluff land agreed that the higher location was much better than the original camp along the Trinity a little to the southeast of downtown.

Ironically in the 5th paragraph there is a description of a soldier seeing Ripley Arnold "standing on the bluff and gazing toward the northern horizon". It's for sure that Major Arnold certainly isn't going to see much horizon from this new location, no matter how high the pedestal may be. 

Wouldn't it have been much more appropriate to clean the moldering concrete sludge & debris from the shamefully neglected Upper Heritage Park area replacing it with a simple overlook and walking trails? With a prominent place for Ripley Arnold to stand majestically looking at the northern horizon and " listening to the footsteps of the oncoming thousands" as they enjoy Fort Worth? 
http://www.star-tele...ll-be.html?rh=1

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#12 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think that is a strange place for the statue too. I wondered why they didn't use the little park area behind the courthouse at Belnap and Main. The area containing the commemorative plaque explaining who Arnold is and his relationship to the history of Fort Worth.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

Would have been perfect on the restored West Lawn of the Courthouse.

#14 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

I wouldn't move this statue if it meant tearing down Heritage Park - *extremely* against that idea.  Sorry.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#15 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

It appears that the concrete base is about to get some stone added to it.

13932462537_2491e36821_o.jpgComing together by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#16 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Here, the stone has been added.  Looks like it will be a nice memorial, with about 12 huge chunks of granite to sit on, surrounding the statue, which was nowhere in sight when I was there yesterday:

14211319596_684b345dda_z.jpgJust a stone's throw away by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

I think that is a strange place for the statue too. I wondered why they didn't use the little park area behind the courthouse at Belnap and Main. The area containing the commemorative plaque explaining who Arnold is and his relationship to the history of Fort Worth.

I agree.  One wonders who the little park is reserved for?

#18 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

They used to have the Tandy statue smack-dab in the middle of Paddock Park at Belknap and Main.  The statue was moved to the TCU campus, I believe. 

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

I believe dangr.dave is correct.

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

So thats what happened to Tandy. That would have been a perfect place for Arnold's statue. I wonder if a Paddock Park makeover is planned soon. 

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Man this thing is going to be BIG. The pdoium in Dave's picture looks to be what, about 8 feet? And he statue itself is already massive...

Archie_StClair_bronze_statu.jpg

Going to an eye-catching piece for sure!

EDit-previous ST article states a total height of 21 feet! 

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

As of right now, the statue is in place and uncovered. If you want a sneak peak, you can see the whole thing.

#23 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Oooohhhh....I have a lunch date, but I may try to run by after work.  The unveiling is tomorrow, right?

#24 BlueMound

BlueMound

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

2DjFkgX.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users