Photo
- - - - -

Tower Restaurant (And Speakeasy downstairs)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

June 5 is the Grand Opening of a new Restaurant at The Tower on the corner of Taylor and 3rd. It is supposed to have a nice mix of family foods. (Meatloaf to Steak) Sounds pretty fun. Looking forward to checking it out soon. It is a great corner. I hope it does well.

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#2 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Taylor and Third is Quizno's and Piranha Sushi ... do you mean Taylor and Fourth, where The Vault used to be?

#3 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Taylor and Third is Quizno's and Piranha Sushi ... do you mean Taylor and Fourth, where The Vault used to be?

It's in the Vault location.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#4 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Please tell me that this restaurant is still in operation..

#5 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Not sure, haven't been in there in a while, but when I walked by Saturday before last the front door was open, nice out and could smell good food but that could have been from somewhere else, possibly. Can't speak for this week.

Kind of curious if there's ever going to be anything on the opposite corner, 5th and Taylor, it's been vacant since they vacated it as a leasing office in 06 or so.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#6 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

My wife and I went to the Speakeasy with some friends on Fri. night after eating at a different restaurant downtown. In a nutshell we were very disappointed. For starters, the restauarant was completely empty, and when we went downstairs to the bar there was only 4 or 5 people there in addition to the bartender and a dj. Everybody was friendly, but you could tell they were the few regulars that they had.

We were not impressed with the bar selection. They did not have a drink menu (we were hoping for something like the Usual) and they only had 6 bottled beers and they were nothing special (Bud Light, Miller Light, Stella, Corona, etc).

While we never ate at the Vault, we did enjoy the bar while it was open, and we were hoping the Speakeasy would be similar.

#7 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I saw a For Lease sign in the window this morning. Guess it didn't make it.

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Tuff spot, time to try something different, I think.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,670 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

What kind of restaurant, specific restaurant, or business do you think would succeed there? 

#10 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm thinking any (typical) restaurant is going to have it tough there; pub / restaurants have been beat to death as have sports bars, then you have the added disadvantage of being on the Sundance demarcation. A LARGE sushi place, maybe a larger Piranhas’ Sundance is short on Asian cuisine and I see a LOT of groups grabbing dinner before heading out to drink, lighter fare is great for that. Every evening you have herds moving from the restaurant areas to the clubs, the last 3 years the nightly migration is becoming more distinct. Maybe a chef school or cooking classes (think UTA satellite campus) or lease it out for receptions, they have a ton of bachelorette parties’ downtown, and it’s fixed up rather nice already.

In the short term, why not a showcase place for catering types to do a 3 day weekend this weekend only Bubba’s Bistro or something, jk, but by trying various fares they might hit on the missing piece of the equation that works in that spot.

The three best options: 1) Late night iHop style fare 24 hrs on weekends (so heavy on police officers) ..but think about it, people going back and forth from cars to restaurants to clubs then back to ??? ...it would be the ONLY place downtown so being where it is is actually not too bad.  2) Asian cuisine, higher end. 3) Serious New York / Phillie style pizza / sub place with delivery (think soup nazi), so heavy on delivery and take out. 

...then again, maybe no restaurant at all, perhaps a UPS Store / Kinkos.

#11 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

When I was walking around yesterday, I noticed there's a new restaurant going into this spot, Vivo53. Remodeling has started and they are hiring www.vivo53.com.

#12 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

"ViVo 53 is about artisan pizza – handcrafted– made with integrity and precision–wood fired. Our commitment is to combine high quality ingredients, prepared with precision, in a friendly, hip atmosphere."

Does this mean they cater to hipsters or are...?

#13 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Just saw that @DTFortWorth retweeted @FortWorthWeekly's tweet that @Vivo53Italian is open for business.

If you go, let us know what you think. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

Bud Kennedy is reporting on Twitter that Vivo53 has closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users