• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#351 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

I miss spoke.  Made edit change in my above comment.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#352 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

I am heading to Tokyo in February and will be taking a trip on the Tokkaido Skinkansen route of the Japan Central Railway. A little preview of the technology and equipment proposed for the Texas Central Railway.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#353 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

The train proposal will die a slow death in the next Texas legislature session from vocal rural GOP members.  Sadly, they have the numbers and the votes to make it happen.

#354 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

So, I proposed feeding pictures and video of my trip in February back to the transportation writer for the Star Telegram. They must have thought that was a great idea because they ended up sending a reporter to do the same thing. An article was published on the 8th featuring a wonderful picture of a bento box and several stock images of the system. I have not yet found a web link to the article.

The author also seems to have confused the Fort Worth sushi restaurant and Tokyo west side transportation hub, Shinjuku Station, with Tokyo Station which is the Shinkansen hub and is on the east side of town. If you find yourself in Tokyo looking for the high speed train, don't go to Shinjuku.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#355 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Legislature is about to kill this project if the rural politicians have anything to do with it--this is according to the latest from the startle-gram

#356 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

....the startle-gram

Have to say that I am not a fan of ridiculing this newspaper; it smacks of "talk radio" gibberish. Hardly ever hear or read the same in regard to the other metropolitan newspapers.

But your remark about TCR and its fate is being fulfilled unfolding as predicted.

#357 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Family business was in radio and TV, so it is habit to make fun of newspapers

#358 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Project moving into next phase.  My non-support for this project is consistent with my lukewarm support for the FWTA DASH connector. Like the DASH, it falls short of serving a key point - Fort Worth.  While it is evident that Fort Worth is not a priority for TCR, it continues to market this project as a link between Houston and North Texas.  Explain how a significant and distinctive part of "North Texas", Fort Worth can be left out and then expect support from it?

Houston to Dallas correctly describes this project; why not demonstrate the integrity to say so?

http://www.fortworth...7cb9cfdfb5.html

#359 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

The train won't even make it into downtown Houston. The Houston station will be near a suburban shopping mall well northwest of downtown.

- Dylan

#360 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Well we could use the line by taking the TRE to Dallas so in essence it does connect the North Texas "Area" to the Houston "Area".
Maybe this is just the start to get the ball rolling and if it is successful than they start looking to branch out in latter phases. Possibly to DT Fort Worth on the Northern terminus and DT Houston on the Southern.

#361 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

The train won't even make it into downtown Houston. The Houston station will be near a suburban shopping mall well northwest of downtown.

By far the most frustrating thing about this. Both stations are nonsensical. 

#362 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

Well we could use the line by taking the TRE to Dallas so in essence it does connect the North Texas "Area" to the Houston "Area".
Maybe this is just the start to get the ball rolling and if it is successful than they start looking to branch out in latter phases. Possibly to DT Fort Worth on the Northern terminus and DT Houston on the Southern.

That may be correct, and I thought there was also a plan to build high-speed rail between Fort Worth and Dallas.

I think you have to be realistic from a cost perspective.  It would be nice if suddenly miraculously two parallel HSR systems materialize--one Houston to Dallas and the other Houston to Fort Worth.  Cost-wise, you have to do one or the other first.

Then again, I can't help harking back to earlier decisions that created the I-35W and I-35E interstate highway scheme for the very reason why we today believe Fort Worth should not be overlooked in an HSR scheme.  Does anyone know which "I" was constructed first?

#363 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

By far the most frustrating thing about this. Both stations are nonsensical. 

Where's the Dallas station going to be?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#364 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

The last I read it was envisioned in the northwest end of the Cedars area just to the south of the Convention Center and along the DART tracks. Several large tracts currently vacant there.

#365 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

The last I read it was envisioned in the northwest end of the Cedars area just to the south of the Convention Center and along the DART tracks. Several large tracts currently vacant there.

Oh... well, that's not bad at all.

You have a direct link to DART Rail and it'll be in a re-developing neighborhood in the center of the city.

7fwPZnE.png

#366 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Oh... well, that's not bad at all.

You have a direct link to DART Rail and it'll be in a re-developing neighborhood in the center of the city.

Well kinda. It's still not quite adjacent to the convention center, which is across the huge pedestrian barriers of I30,  and not at Union Station, which would provide direct TRE connections for us.

texas_central_railway_option_1.jpg

It's like if an HSR station in Fort Worth was built in Butler. 

#367 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

I'm taking both consistent and unpopular POV, but like the DASH Connector that falls short of its goal, TCR falls short in linking a significant segment of North Texas to Houston in way similar to how DASH falls short in serving the entire Cultural District.

TCR and its supporters should stop adding the gross numbers of North Texans to inflate its service area and, instead say Dallas inside of Loop 12.  This TCR will have a negligible impact for Fort Worth and its local economy and continues to not have my support or should not have the support of the City of Fort Worth.

#368 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

The proposed high speed rail station will not be immediately adjacent to DART's light rail line, it will be immediately adjacent to UP's rail line. Which means the cheapest and easiest solution, just like what is happening in Miami, is to extend the TRE to the HSR station area. All that will be needed to inter-connect the HSR line to North Texas in general, with Union Station's two platforms and two tracks for TRE nearby, is a single platform for TRE trains (with two tracks or even just a single track. 

TRE, BNSF, UP, DGNO, and Amtrak has trackage rights over these tracks already, but I expect the freight rail lines will want additional capacity installed (triple tracking?) and the HSR station platforms for the TRE will be paid by the TRE. 

And the same idea holds true in Houston as well. For years they have been planning and proposing commuter rail from Galveston through downtown Houston and extended northwest along the same freight rail corridor the HSR line will be built adjacent to. If the commuter rail line was ever built, adding commuter rail platform on its own tracks would be the cheapest and easiest way to inter-connect the HSR train to both downtown Houston and Galveston. 

Amtrak's Acela trains do not travel north adjacent to the Hudson River, or east to the eastern cities on Long Island. MTA North and MTA LIRR commuter trains do. The MTA subway lines don't extend that far out to the far suburbs. 

As the HSR line and train business improves into more profitability, maybe extending the HSR line further to Fort Worth and Galveston will become possible. But it's asking too much in my opinion to spend all that money up front before proving their business model works. After all, it's just a start-up private railroad company with limited start-up funds. They'll be lucky to raise the cash and financing to construct the Dallas to Houston HSR line, with both public and private sources of funds. Spending an additional $Billion or so in North Texas and another additional $Billion or so in Houston maybe $2-3 Billion more than they can get. 

#369 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:12 PM

Didn't realize the Dallas station was going to be entirely south of 30. Earlier, they were planning a station over 30 itself.

Downtown Dallas is where the TRE and all four light rail lines converge, and has many hotels you could walk to. Downtown Houston is a transit and hotel hub as well.

HSR stations should only be located in large downtowns.

- Dylan

#370 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Didn't realize the Dallas station was going to be entirely south of 30. Earlier, they were planning a station over 30 itself.

Downtown Dallas is where the TRE and all four light rail lines converge, and has many hotels you could walk to. Downtown Houston is a transit and hotel hub as well.

HSR stations should only be located in large downtowns.

TCR is operating on a shoe-string budget which in the long term will be one, if not the major,  of many factors contributing to its downfall.  Getting into either the downtown areas of Dallas or Houston is a cost prohibited bill.  As the saying goes "close only counts in horseshoes and grenades".

#371 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

When I look at the route and the stations the word Boondoggle come to mind. Such a missed opportunity. Hopefully this is just the first phase and other future phases will make improvements to it. If not, then I think it may not be a successful venture.

#372 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

When I look at the route and the stations the word Boondoggle come to mind. Such a missed opportunity. Hopefully this is just the first phase and other future phases will make improvements to it. If not, then I think it may not be a successful venture.

Are Love Field, Hobby, Bush International, or DFW Airport boondoggles? All of these transportation terminals are further from downtown Dallas and Houston than the combined distance of Texas Central's proposed stations are. I'll admit they aren't located exactly in the center of each city, but as compared to all the airports locations, they're much closer. Travelers can and will find a means to get to them.

If you look worldwide, few train station locations are located within the downtowns or central business districts. Just about all of them are located a short distance away.

#373 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

I hear what you are saying Electricon and my choice of the word boondoggle was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was trying to pay homage to a blogger named Durango Texas who calls every big project in the area a boondoggle.

However airports and train stations are not apples to apples. Unlike airports, train stations don't need a large runway for take offs and landings and I don't know of any airports that are located downtown but I do know of train stations that are.

#374 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

The key to making a high speed rail line like this even remotely successful is going to be making it more appealing and convenient than flying to business travelers. I'm not sure that either of the stops gets close enough to downtown to make that happen, especially in Houston.

I'll qualify this by saying that I'm not real optimistic that high speed rail happens in Texas any time soon and this discussion borders on the hypothetical.

#375 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

....However airports and train stations are not apples to apples. Unlike airports, train stations don't need a large runway for take offs and landings and I don't know of any airports that are located downtown but I do know of train stations that are.

Very true.

The terminals, being set outside of downtown as they are, negates the major advantage that HSR has over air service - downtown to downtown connection.  HSR is an enormously expensive investment.  It is understandable to be skeptical about the future of this HSR and its ambition to do this through private funding.

#376 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

I hear what you are saying Electricon and my choice of the word boondoggle was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was trying to pay homage to a blogger named Durango Texas who calls every big project in the area a boondoggle.

He's still around?

7fwPZnE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users