hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Tragic:
http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

I ran in the competitive 10k heat at 2 PM, which I think was the one that this guy would have been in. Not sure if he drowned in the 1st or 2nd river crossing, but my team had multiple conversations before and after the race about how dangerous the first crossing was, due to the large numbers of swimmers in the water and the fact that many people tired themselves out with the initial mile run and were really struggling in the water weighed down by their pants, boots, etc. One of our team had to help a guy that started to go under, so I can easily see how someone would have gone down and not gotten noticed.

On one hand the supervision was really lacking, but on the other hand the guy was 30 years old so he should have had a better idea what he was capable of. Regardless it is a tragedy.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I brought the Mud Run up on the "if I was only a reporter" thread.

http://www.fortworth...pic=3337&st=240

Surely a tragic event for both the race and the city.

I was really disappointed in the Fort Worth firefighter that said on a Channel 8 newscast, "there is all kinds of junk in the Trinity. I wouldn't swim in it." A really irresponsible thing to be said by a Fort Worth employee. Mostly because he was uninformed and should not be making such statements. I agree that at 11am when they were looking for the drowning victim, the Trinity was full of litter. We just had a big storm. That happens. During the race on Saturday the Trinity did not look like that. And Dixie cups and water bottles does not really make the river un-safe. I have been sick less since I have been swimming in the Trinity than before I swam in the Trinity. I don't credit the Trinity for keeping me from having colds and flues and whatnot, but I sure know it hasn't made me sick because I have never been sick less.(let's just pretend that swimming in the Trinity did not necessitate stents in my heart.)

I took this picture from my condo on Saturday. I was going to post a picture on the Forum saying something like, "Don't you figure this amount of safety equipment and personnel is overkill?" Anyway, Channel 8 gave out bad dope stating there was a lack of safety personnel and equipment.

And I surely agree. There is danger to most any sporting event. Particularly this one. It is not for wimps in any fashion. (That's why I was in my pajamas taking photos from my condo.) Everybody going in to that race is aware of its dangers. Both because it is grueling and involves hazards, like swimming. Nobody was at fault here. Not the event organizers, not the City, not the Trinity River officials, not the maker of this guys swimming trunks.

I took this shot as the race was starting.
Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#3 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

... the fact that many people tired themselves out with the initial mile run and were really struggling in the water weighed down by their pants, boots, etc...

I would think that would be one of the main things to train for in advance, swimming with full clothes... i can only imagine how difficult that would be in a dirty river nonetheless

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

... the fact that many people tired themselves out with the initial mile run and were really struggling in the water weighed down by their pants, boots, etc...

I would think that would be one of the main things to train for in advance, swimming with full clothes... i can only imagine how difficult that would be in a dirty river nonetheless

...wouldn't it be just as difficult as a clean river?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 dustinbabich

dustinbabich

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

I love to participate in mud run. Specially when it is planned for some social cause. Its really a great fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users