4 replies to this topic

#1 bsaggie

bsaggie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

There is a building(#127) located on the point just west of the point that the north end of the Carswell runway is on. It predates AFP #4 and I've always been curious about it's history, but haven't been able to find out anything. I've heard various theories...bar, dance hall, brothel, but nothing definitive. Anybody know it's history?

It's been used for storage by Lockheed for many years, but is going to be demolished and is in the process of being cleaned out. I went inside recently and it is basically one very large room with exposed trusses and a very large fireplace at the north end. The building is constructed of what appear to be 1/2 size cinder block and attached to the middle of east side of the main structure is a gabled wing with a porch and 4 square columns. There is one center door flanked by 2 larger side doors opening to what looked like it might have been a lobby/foyer as it has a bathroom on either side. Above all 3 doors is a circular opening that may have at one time been a window but is now filled in. All the window opennings which are all boarded up have a keystone in the header.

#2 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Don't know anything about the building but would sure be nice to have some photos before its gone.

#3 bsaggie

bsaggie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Would like to post photos, but we're not allowed to take photos on the property. If you use the birdseye view on Bing maps, you can get an idea of what it looks like.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I always heard it was the officer's club for the base back in the day.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

i collect old ft worth paper books , ads year books , etc. ive got a 7 page booklet , called the stripe, datedaugust 1967.it has several ads from local business ,, has the calender for aug.i dont know if this is the bar that was in the building or not. you can go to my blog i will post pics of this book. larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users