• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A FORT WORTH REGISTRATION HARD BOUND BOOK, IT HAS NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE REGISTERED VOTERS IN FORT WORTH. THERE ARE ALL THE FAMOUS AND WELL KNOWN PEOPLE OF THE TIME.IF ANYONE HAS A NAME TO LOOK UP I WOULD BE HAPPY TO LOOK IT UP FOR YOU.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

I am curious what percentage of the Fort Worth population were registered voters. And then what percentage of the population today are registered.

Larry, how many people were registered in 1892?

Also curious why you bought the book. And like why 1892? Do you have family roots here that far back?
www.fortworthview.com

#3 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

well iam very much into fort worth history, and this book is very rare , there was only one that i know of. i have lots of fort worth history , old school year books ,photos , papers , etc. as to your other question , how many registered voters ,i will count them up and get back with you. but theres many , and i would think its many more than there is today. thanks for your reading my post.

#4 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A FORT WORTH REGISTRATION HARD BOUND BOOK, IT HAS NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE REGISTERED VOTERS IN FORT WORTH. THERE ARE ALL THE FAMOUS AND WELL KNOWN PEOPLE OF THE TIME.IF ANYONE HAS A NAME TO LOOK UP I WOULD BE HAPPY TO LOOK IT UP FOR YOU.

hey in 1892 luke short , signed in as a registered voter , he lived at 402 hemphill. luke short was involved with tim couright, the sherriff at the white elephant saloon.

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

"in 1892 luke short , signed in as a registered voter , he lived at 402 hemphill. luke short was involved with tim couright, the sherriff at the white elephant saloon"

This kind of a book is a real find. 402 Hemphill is now just an empty lot, but it was probably on the early streetcar line. FWIW Courtright at the time of his death was not the sheriff, he was a "private detective" and it was generally conceded that he was making part of his living in shaking down businesses for "protection".

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#6 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

Just an FYI. Jim Courtwright was FW's City Marshal and held a few other LAE appointments but at the time he and Short had their famous shootout he was working in the private sector as a detective with his own logo. Jim (picture of a eye) Courtwright Detective agency..........

#7 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

"in 1892 luke short , signed in as a registered voter , he lived at 402 hemphill. luke short was involved with tim couright, the sherriff at the white elephant saloon"

This kind of a book is a real find. 402 Hemphill is now just an empty lot, but it was probably on the early streetcar line. FWIW Courtright at the time of his death was not the sheriff, he was a "private detective" and it was generally conceded that he was making part of his living in shaking down businesses for "protection".

yes thats correct , he was a shakedown guy. but from what ive read , most all of the famous and not so famous law officers , were on both sides of the law , werent they

#8 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

iam sure you are right , i think nive read where the streetr car went down hemphill......

#9 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

Congrats on this find! I saw this book at the Fort Worth Paper show at the Lockheed Martin rec center years ago. I think I made 3 trips back there to look at it but couldnt pull the trigger on buying it.

Let me know when you are looking to sell :)

#10 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

iam sure you are right , i think ive read where the street car went down hemphill......

I searched at length on the UNT's Portal to Texas History site for a city photo booklet that was published in 1907 or 1908 but could not find it. (I've found it there before so just didn't enter the right search words) Anyhow, the said booklet had one generic photo of Hemphill street (named after Judge John Hemphill) showing the streetcar tracks going down the center of it. Had I found it, I would have provided a link to it. The north end of Hemphill (which was the oldest and nearest to downtown) began to deteriorate and disappear probably around the time of the Great Depression. (1930's) Hemphill's peak of popularity was around 1910 and most of its fine homes were built during the decades on either side (before or after) of that date. 1892 would have been early in Hemphill's development although banker E.E. Chase's grand residence (a replica of the lavish c. 1887 Leonard L. Bradbury mansion in Los Angeles) was where Chase Court now stands and it was built around 1890.(burned down around 1901 and the Bradbury mansion in LA was demo'ed in the 1930's) Almost every old house north of Magnolia has been lost on Hemphill but it was quite the fashionable neighborhood in its glory days. It's really sad that the once grand boulevard has so gone to seed in recent decades-however, a few sporadic survivors still provide a hint of what it once was.

#11 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

wow. yea the guy i bought it from started the paper show he told me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users