#1 Debbie Liles

Debbie Liles

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hello everyone,
my name is Debbie Liles and I am new to this Fort Worth list. I am a PhD student at the University of North Texas. I also posted this message on the Architecture Forum, apologies if you are reading this for a second time.

I am currently in the process of producing a book about Will Rogers Coliseum and Memorial Center with Arcadia Publishing. The main focus of all Arcadia books is vintage photographs. I am looking of any and all that anyone is willing to share. This can include anything including early construction, fat stock show, entertainment of any kind, art, anything. The more I have to chose from the better the end product will be.

My purpose is to preserve some of the history of this amazing center. A couple of years ago I wrote my master's thesis about Wyatt C. Hedrick, one of the architects of the building, it was then that I discovered that there was no book available. How could that be? If we don't preserve it, we will lose it, I just don't want to see that happen.

Hopefully waiting for any answers. Thank you for your time,

Debbie.

deborahliles@my.unt.edu

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Debbie, welcome to the Forum. I'm very familiar with Arcadia Books and I congratulate you in your efforts. I'm sure you have contacted the UTA Library Special Collections for the photos in the Jack White Collection, which are hosted on this site. I'm sure you are also familiar in the fact that the Will Rogers Memorial Center is not designated as a local Historic and Cultural Landmark. I agree with you in that if we don't preserve it, we will lose it.

By the way, you posted this in two forums, so I have left this one under Local History/Historic Photographs and I have deleted the post in Fort Worth Architecture.

#3 Debbie Liles

Debbie Liles

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thank you John, I appreciate the warm welcome and the congratulations!

I have an appointment with Cathy and Brenda at UT Arlington on Monday. There are so many wonderful items in UT Arlington's archives, I am looking forward to seeing what is there and what else I need to hunt down.

As you stated, WRC is not designated as a local Historic and Cultural Landmark; this was another of the reasons I wanted to do this book, and used it in my proposal. For the life of me I do not understand why as it is a fabulous facility, filled with historical architecture, art, and memories - to name just a few things.

Debbie

deborahliles@my.unt.edu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users