#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

John,

I was following the thread on the Helium plant in North Fort Worth the other day and had some images that I thought might be interesting to some. They were stored on my hard drive ready to go.

Except..

That to get them on the Forum, one has to either load them to storage on one of their own websites or upload them to some image site like Photobucket, Flicker, etc. Then it's a matter of linking in. There's a certain amount foofing around involved in all this, most of which is managing these remote storage sites.

Well I didn't want to go the the trouble, so I just didn't post.. Not that it was any great loss to to other members Posted Image

That did not used to be a big deal until the last year or so. When I hooked up with Face Book, and a blog provider and the Jack White group, I realized that I was just grabbing whatever image(s) I already had stored and uploading or emailing to the site. Super easy! No management or links required.

I have thousands of images on my hard disks some of which periodically might be appropriate on the forum. But for me to do this, involves having duplicate storage somewhere else on-line. So I am essentially duplicating my storage just so I can link to the Forum and the few other sites that require this (I can't think of any right now). I have multiple local backups for safety and use 1T or larger storage hard disks. .

The end result is that I find myself not putting things up to link to the Forum, because after that they just sit there and are not good for anything else in that on-line storage location.

So I was just wondering if there was some way to get the Forum out of the 20th Century as far as image handling is concerned? I suspect that there might be others that feel this way and that participation might jump up some if direct uploads to the Forum were possible.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Bob..

I'm well aware of the problems involved and in fact have a Photobucket account which I don't find much use for. Everything you say is true, except that with the cost of storage. now so minimal, I don't really think the overhead would be huge.

Anyway, I personally the direct upload mode will come sometime, even perhaps at the cost of a few text ads which I really don't mind.

Just my personal feeling.

Pete Charlton
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Everyone, I'm sorry for the slow reply. I've been putting a lot of hours in at the office again. When that happens, I just don't have much time to respond quickly here. I will have to look into doing this. The cost is not the issue, space is cheap. The one thing that I don't want is to clog up my host's servers with a bunch of photographs. I will say that it may be a while before I can do anything, since I will be working on this project until August, or possible later if major changes are made.

#4 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thanks John...

Pete Charlton

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Pete, I don't think your idea is a dumb one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users