Photo
- - - - -

Architectural Styles

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite style of Architecture? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite style of Architecture?

1. Neo-Classical (9 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Victorian (5 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

3. Mediterranean/Missionesque (11 votes [17.46%])

Percentage of vote: 17.46%

4. Art Deco (32 votes [50.79%])

Percentage of vote: 50.79%

5. International Style (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Modern (5 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

7. Post-Modern (1 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:23 PM

I'm curious as to everyone's favorite architectural style. I only picked styles that are present here in Fort Worth. For those of you who don't know the different design styles, I will give examples of them below.

Neo-Classical - uses classical elements on a more modern structural frame: U.S. Post Office, W.T. Waggoner Building, Burk Burnett Building

Victorian - styles present when Queen Victoria reigned over England: Knights of Pythias, City National Bank, Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House, many Sundance Square buildings

Mediterranean/Missionesque - Alamo styled buildings with red clay tile roofs and stucco exterior: Ridglea Village, Montgomery Ward

Art Deco - uses strong geometric shapes and buildings often have many set backs: T&P Railway Terminal and Warehouse, Central Fire Station, Will Rogers, Sinclair Building

International Style - sleek curtain walls, usually of metal and glass: Landmark Tower

Modern - many of the buildings were even sleeker than the International Style, the buildings were often pieces of sculpture themselves: City Center, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Carter+Burgess Plaza

Post-Modern - after the modern era, using a grab bag of architectural styles from previous periods: Bank One Building, Sundance West, Palace Theater

#2 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:28 AM

Man, that's tough. I have a lot of trouble choosing between Neo-classical, Victorian, and Art Deco. Does Second Empire/Beaux Arts fall in roughly with Victorian? It seems like they were contemporary styles.

I'll vote for Neo-classical today because the three examples you gave are almost always in my top five favorite buildings in downtown Fort Worth.

ps: would you say the FWCC Arena is Googie?

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

Donnie, Second Empire design falls within the Victorian era. Beaux Arts did, but also extended out from the Victorian period. This poll is just like the restaurant cuisines, once you start getting out of generalities, then everything has to be split up. By the way, there were different styles within the Art Deco period, as well.

I don't know what I would call the Convention Center Arena.

#4 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

Let's see...out of styles present in Fort Worth I was inclined to vote for Art Deco, as FW has an exquisite collection of Art Deco buildings spread throughout the city, but I have this thing with Art Deco (buildingwise) that I don't want to get into. So I voted for Neo-Classical, although another one of Fort Worth's strong points is the Mediterranean/Mission style (wouldn't Alice Carlson fall under this category?). If we can continue building things like Pier1 and the Modern, then Fort Worth could also become strong in the Modern category.

Actually my favorite style from this list is Victorian, but I just couldn't vote for it since Fort Worth doesn't really have that many great examples of Victorian architecture. My absolute favorite style and building anywhere would be the Victorian townhomes/rowhouses/flats (whatever you want to call them) prevalant in the NE, specifically Boston. If FW was made up entirely of those, I would be in paradise :smwink:

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:58 AM

Having lived in different places around the world, I would have to say that Architecture should be a reflection of the people living in the region. Building materials are also a regional reflection.

What I find interesting and somewhat disturbing, is to visit a world location and find an architectural design transplant. For example, English Tutor in downtown Bangkok Thailand.

Conversely, visit Santa Fe New Mexico where the city design is consistent with the regional building materials and reflect the people and South Western heritage.

This does not mean Fort Worth should look like the stockyards with overtones of the Railroad. When looking at Fort Worth I see a mix of history and architectural influence. No one design style is dominate. Which means to me that different clients with their own design interests and enough money to hire Architects to build building for them.

As a result, when you see a building - it does not speak "Fort Worth, Texas" or a particular Texas region. Which I suspect is a Fort Worth identification issue. Tourists visiting downtown Fort Worth go home with no special lasting Architectural memories, except they sure remember the Stock Yards.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:51 AM

John, I just attended a wedding and reception this past week at the Downtown YWCA. I like the exterior and interior both -- just beautiful. What style was I enjoying? Brad Reid

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

Brad, the YWCA is one of those hybrid buildings that is a mix of styles. It is really hard to put into a category because it fits in many. However, the many categories that it fits into would actually fall under sub categories of the styles in the poll.

When I constructed the poll, I only put in broadscoping styles of architecture. Otherwise, I would have five or six styles within each general heading.

#8 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:53 PM

John, yes, I can see that the YWCA is sort of eclectic architecturally speaking. One very interesting aspect of the building is its treatment of ceilings. In the room used for wedding ceremonies on the south side of the building, and the upstairs area where we attended the reception, nice details adorned the ceilings and some concrete beams had been faux painted on the lower floor ceiling to look like wood.

Too often, commercial buildings and other structures seem to ignore ceilings, but done right, they leave a stronger impression, I think as much as the floors. A large group for this particular event were from New York City and all were really impressed by the building commenting on it favorably.

Cheers! Brad Reid

#9 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:33 PM

It's got to be 21st Century Suburbian Bigbox. Maybe someday people will ask each other, "What was your favorite of all the Bigboxes?"

#10 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

I had to go with the Art Deco... decorative, yet allowing function to shine through.

#11 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

It's got to be 21st Century Suburbian Bigbox. Maybe someday people will ask each other, "What was your favorite of all the Bigboxes?"

View Post

Yeah, I was looking for Brutalism, but had to put my second choice of art deco. When will people start appreciating the beauty and style of the Southwestern Bell Building and certian parking garage structures?!?

And, oh, the disappointment when I learned that New Brutalism was the name of some rock band instead of the return of the mother of all architectural styles.

I'll tell lyou what rocks, mister.... raw concrete with a hint of form board wood grain!!

Whoa... Got carried away with the sarcasm there.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

Your funny Andy.

I lover FW's take on Art-Deco. I see it in the TNP at Lancaster and the Sinclair on Main and 5th. Both beautiful and when lit up pleasantly, will offer interesting angles and depth to the DTFW skyline at night. Plus Art-Deco is widely used in major market cities like NYC and Chicago. Gives FW that "big city" feeling sometimes.
GO AD!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

Art Deco for me. I love most of the Victorian and Neo-Classical buildings as well, but I'll always go for Art Deco. The Sinclair building, the Kress building, the T&P buildings, Pioneer Tower and the rest of Will Rogers, etc. Good grief, that's just gorgeous.

#14 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Feb 3 2006, 12:10 PM) View Post

Art Deco for me. I love most of the Victorian and Neo-Classical buildings as well, but I'll always go for Art Deco. The Sinclair building, the Kress building, the T&P buildings, Pioneer Tower and the rest of Will Rogers, etc. Good grief, that's just gorgeous.

I agree completely.

Gee - it sure is a very small world, Atomic Glee. I noticed your postings here earlier today - and, this evening, I logged on to The Fedora Lounge, another of my online hangouts, and noticed your name in the user list there.

For those not familiar with it, The Fedora Lounge is a great discussion board for those who are into all things vintage from the decades of the first half of the 20th century. See: http://www.thefedoralounge.com
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#15 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

Art Deco all the way.....takes you back to a time that I doubt we will ever see again..

#16 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Dismuke @ Feb 3 2006, 10:07 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Feb 3 2006, 12:10 PM) View Post

I agree completely.

Gee - it sure is a very small world, Atomic Glee. I noticed your postings here earlier today - and, this evening, I logged on to The Fedora Lounge, another of my online hangouts, and noticed your name in the user list there.

For those not familiar with it, The Fedora Lounge is a great discussion board for those who are into all things vintage from the decades of the first half of the 20th century. See: http://www.thefedoralounge.com

Coolness - it really is a small world. I also throw my recommendation in for the Fedora Lounge for vintage fans.

I think one of the reasons I love Art Deco is because it shows how much higher the standards for design were back in the day. It's hard to believe that at one point, everything (well, OK, not *everything,* but a *lot* of things) looked like the Sinclair Building, or the T&P building, or the Kress building. That sort of incredible design and art was commonplace. What I wouldn't give for that to be the case today!

#17 gotutex

gotutex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

On the poll, I voted for Art Deco because my favorite downtown building is the T&P. I sort of think of that response from the viewpoint of a pedestrian . . . rather than from the viewpoint of a tenant.

Considering the tenant veiwpoint, guess I have mixed feelings. Having been a tenant in downtown Fort Worth, I certainly enjoyed officing in the international-styled building just north of Burnet Park (Now Bank of America?). However, one of the elements in my enjoyment was that we had views of Burnet Park across the street before it was redesigned. Nonetheless, the simplicity and elegance in international style was something that "wore well" over the months. I'll never forget that aspect.

Despite all of this, if I were to move my office to a Fort Worth tower today, I would choose Horton. That's because I like the Horton ceiling heights best and the views of the Trinity . . . not because of the style of the exterior (post modern?).

#18 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(G. O. Todd @ Mar 3 2006, 11:12 AM) View Post

...if I were to move my office to a Fort Worth tower today, I would choose Horton. . . not because of the style of the exterior (post modern?).

John, what about Brutalist??? That's what I want to vote for. wink.gif

Actually, that's not a proper use of the term...but on that note:

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Oct 22 2004, 03:08 PM) View Post

I don't know what I would call the Convention Center Arena.

I always thought the abstract bas releif in the concrete panels around the flying saucer were trying to imitate Corb's cubist impressions in "beton brut," making it late modern.

modulor

#19 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Nice website FWI. I especially enjoyed the treatment on the Flatiron Bldg. Got to do what you kind to keep the view off the AT&T nee SWB Building.

I too was looking for a vote tab for beton brut. I don't know if I could have forced myself to pull the lever for that, though. smile.gif

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Mar 29 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post

Nice website FWI. I especially enjoyed the treatment on the Flatiron Bldg. Got to do what you kind to keep the view off the AT&T nee SWB Building.

I too was looking for a vote tab for beton brut. I don't know if I could have forced myself to pull the lever for that, though. smile.gif

Could you give a few examples of that style for the masses?

#21 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:44 AM

Modern Building Styles

#22 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Mar 28 2006, 10:10 PM) View Post

Nice website FWI.

Thanks Andy.

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Mar 28 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

QUOTE(AndyN @ Mar 29 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post

Could you give a few examples of that style for the masses?

City Hall is brutalist, and I suspect Andy is being as sarcastic as me.

#23 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

A nuanced response since I didn't see the catagory in the poll...

Residential mid-century modern.

Close runner up would be art deco.

21st century suburban big box isn't on my radar screen.

#24 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Seems like a remember a thread of just, "favorite or least favorite building" in Fort Worth. I can't find it in any case so off to the races I go.

Favorite building... The Family Law Center on Weatherford Street. A spectacular building inside and out. What a shame the inside is so remarkable, as most of us will never be in the building. Such a disregard for public funds. I had to bail out an employee of mine that was thrown in jail for missing years of child support. (Fine with me... he is apparently a better employee than father/provider) Anyway, I was on an upper floor waiting for him to be released and I was mesmerized by the classic beauty of it all. The granite and skylights etc... were really something. Ugliest building. Handsdown... the Fort Worth Convention Center. (the south end exhibit hall addition area.) Busy brick design OR busy color scheme. NOT BOTH. It is the same reason I do not like the Chase building on Throckmorton and Fourth. Vomit.

Here is my favorite... (Award winning building, not picture.)

www.fortworthview.com

#25 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

If we must give a favorite genre; Deco. But I don't want to choose, I want to quibble. There's the bright, beautiful, optimistic Deco of the Sinclair and the forbidding mass of Deco of the Masons' building. At Birdland, we joke that Albert Speer built that one.
And given all the outstanding Ft. Worth deco, all beloved, my favorite building in the world is the Haltom. Louis Sullivanesque rules!

#26 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:30 PM

Glad to see that votes wise I'm not the only one that loves the Mediterranean/Missionesque style. IF Fort Worth were to have a prevailing style, I should hope we could all agree that this would be an acceptable choice. There are so many uses for this style in both public and residential applications. Public wise it shows the western / latin heritage we have without being too sterotyped (Stockyards), but at the same time it doesn't scream at you. Residentially it allows for a more communal arrangement; especially if done in the arrangement of many classic Mediterranean homes. The thought that you can have your family and friend be together, surrounded by your home, enjoying each other's company...this is why they say a man's home is his castle.
Art Deco is absolutely my second favorite. The sleek lines, the attention to detail, the optimisim that you can feel the architects and designers had to have when they were building these. It is a shame that we are only left with a few examples of this, but WOW, what magnificent examples they are!

#27 mr pipeline

mr pipeline

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

I'm a big sap for the Gothic churches and Gothic inspired
but I really like the style of Louis Kahn, I'm not sure what thats's called exactly, modern+classical?

Since no Gothic option, I hafta pick Art Deco, those T&P Buildings are amazing.
I slant more towards the Speer side of the spectrum though, I think; its reality feels more real.

here's a First United Methodist Church pic I found online taken 2006
darn, can't get it any bigger

#28 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

I had an opportunity to photograph the First United Methodist Church few years ago. While it is great to appreciate the structures exterior.. its facinating to see how the facilities interior is being used. This would be where the buildings function dictates the form. Specially the 3rd floor TV station.

Click the red dots when visiting

http://360texas.com/.../fumc/index.htm

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#29 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

Beautiful, but lonely.... Thanks for the pics!

#30 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ Nov 20 2008, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beautiful, but lonely.... Thanks for the pics!

I made this obscure and nonsensical post some time ago but it keeps popping up as almost current. Administrators: any idea what's going on? I'd be OK with deleting it... blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users