• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#351 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I received a yet-unanswered invitation to 'like' a Facebook group called Say NO to Hooters in Downtown Fort Worth.

It has 648 likes so far, FYI.

#352 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

I don't seem to recall the same kind of uproar when Ojos Locos moved in.  Maybe it's because no one knew what it was at the time.

As far as "those" types of restaurants are concerned, Hooters is probably the most tame of them all.  As some of the comments in the article point out, a lot of women wear more revealing clothing than a Hooters waitress.

#353 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

There's a lot of gold in the comments on that Facebook group.

My two favorites are the one saying that parking downtown is a "nightmare" (hasn't been in the last 25 years I assume) and the one pointing out that the waitresses at Ojos Locos and Flying Saucer dress just as skimpy (add Jake's and Del Frisco's Grille (slightly more subtle than the others) to that list).

#354 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

There are reasons other than than squeamishness at the waitresses attire (or lack thereof) for people to push back on "this kind of establishment".  There's been a recent tendency for shootouts at breastaurants (Waco last May, Ojos Locos in DTFW last August)... So there might be a public safety case to be made. 

#355 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

I think that's just a bar/club thing in general. There was a biker gang shooting last year on Race, and someone was shoot not long ago outside the club in The Tower's basement. 

#356 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Well they get my VOTE!

The only conflicted part I have is that it would take longer to get the Hog out of parking garage than walk over ;)

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#357 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

I think all the fuss is simply free advertising, nothing more.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#358 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

There's a "Say Yes to Hooters downtown", which has already garnered more likes the the "no" page.

#359 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:46 AM

lol.

This is all just dumb. But I guess I saw I coming...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#360 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

My last comment on this (thank heavens!)...a rebuttal to the notion that this will be another "breastaurant" attracting some potentially violent biker gang.  I guess anything is conceivable, but a bunch of grungy looking motorcyclists hanging out at City Place?

#361 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:57 AM

My last comment on this (thank heavens!)...a rebuttal to the notion that this will be another "breastaurant" attracting some potentially violent biker gang.  I guess anything is conceivable, but a bunch of grungy looking motorcyclists hanging out at City Place?

Meh, I could frankly care less, and I know two data points don't make a trend; just pointing out that there's possibly more to think about than the strawman of morality police "clutching their pearls". 

#362 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

I haven't looked at the facebook pages but this is one of my favorite comments from the article.

My father-in-law took my mother-in-law there once. My mother-in-law told me "That place is obscene!"

#363 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

How is that a straw man?  Having perused the comments on the "no to Hooters" Facebook group, one gets the impression that that is precisely the motivation of a large array of the supporters of blocking the place.  People calling it a sexually explicit business and all that.

(Didn't you know, any argument other than the one I'm currently espousing is a straw man? /s)  Okay I didn't go to the Facebook page to check it out, I'll take your word for it.  I would call that a very weak argument as presented, so I that respect I'd agree with you.  It's a "straw man" precisely because it is such a weak point.

#364 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

This situation could be good news for Hooters, as it has definitely given this new location a fortune's worth of free advertising.

It could also be to City Place/downtown's benefit, as it may have brought the location and the FW public's apparent passion for the area to the attention of other restaurants or retailers that might not have otherwise considered or known about it.

#365 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

http://www.star-tele...le57156233.html

Hooter's gets the go-ahead with less and smaller signage and logo-less patio.

#366 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hooter's gets the go-ahead with less and smaller signage and logo-less patio.

Considering the potential for litigation, it was smart of the City to give the go-head to Hooter's. 

Hooter's, like other similar establishments, will have to make certain that the concerns raised by those who were in opposition do not become a reality.

#367 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

The review board had no power to stop it. They could just force the changes to the design.

#368 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

And they SHOULDN'T stop it. 

If this was a strip club, I would understand, but some of these people need to get a life. Or get out more. Or get... well, I'll just stop there since this is a "PG" site.

7fwPZnE.png

#369 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

One City Place should be a hotel 

Well, sounds like the South Tower is going to be an Aloft. Guessing the oil decline probably has had a big impact on office space. 

#370 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:02 PM

One City Place should be a hotel 

Well, sounds like the South Tower is going to be an Aloft. Guessing the oil decline probably has had a big impact on office space.

Which is becoming a blessing in disguise - the current misfortunes of the O&G industry. 

Our neighbor to the east seems to be weathering the misfortunes better than any of the other big Texas cities (exceptions being Austin and San Antonio) by positioning itself as a regional/national hospitality center.  Fort Worth is wise to follow suit.  Hospitality and its support industry can be a stable source of economic activity; and is environmentally friendly.

As for the re-purpose of the City Place South Tower to either residential or hospitality, it was an original consideration of the current CP developers that was smothered.

Awesome news to learn of a CP hotel rebirth.

#371 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

Wild Salsa has made some progress, I think I heard May opening?

Avanti opened last week. 

No movement on Hooters yet. 

#372 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Aloft has applied to install signange

DG16-17 300 W. 3rd Street/ Aloft Hotel Owner/Applicant: Throckmorton FW3, LLC. Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness for exterior alterations and to install signage.

#373 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Aloft will be 180 rooms. 

#374 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Bud Kennedy on the delay of Hooters- 

Hooters had to re-file paperwork and may have been headed off

https://twitter.com/...835236372484096

#375 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

Some bad losers are holding up the TABC license approval process for the downtown Hooters location:

http://www.star-tele...le92114687.html

I am not an attorney but it looks as though this is going to result in a delay "at best". The city has verified that the "brestaurant" complies with zoning requirements and the owners have already modified their signage plans to comply with neighbor's wishes. Apparently when a protest is filed the commission is required to hold a local hearing prior to deciding whether to approve the license request. The protest group's spokesman says "he couldn't discuss the grounds for the protest". Why? I seriously doubt if discussing the nature of the protest, why the group doesn't want this lawful food establishment in this particular location, is improper or restricted by the commission.

What a crock.

#376 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Construction on Aloft is getting going. An exterior elevator will be placed at the Southwest corner along Taylor to allow construction access.

#377 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Austin, it is funny.  I have been downtown working for one of our clients, and I wondered what all of the activity was on Taylor Street.  I was thinking it had something to do with Wild Salsa.  I guess I was wrong.

#378 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

Wild Salsa is finally opening

http://www.fwtx.com/...quare-wednesday

The Aloft is also officially UC with the construction elevator having been installed.

#379 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

I knew Wild Salsa was close because I have been downtown on an almost daily basis due to work.  I also had noted the installation of the construction elevator.

#380 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

A judge has ruled that Hooter's can get a liquor license.  Below is a link to Sandra Baker's article in the Star-Telegram.

http://www.star-tele...e114643438.html

Some friends of mine have already eaten at Wild Salsa, and they liked it.

#381 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

I have eaten there twice and I really like it as well. I love the outside space. Although, it is difficult seeing Avanti really struggle. The food is good, but I think Italian is a dying cuisine for restaurants.

#382 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:16 PM

I still think the location kinda hurts.

7fwPZnE.png

#383 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

Jeriat, you are saying the location hurts for Avanti, Wild Salsa, or both? 

#384 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have eaten there twice and I really like it as well. I love the outside space. Although, it is difficult seeing Avanti really struggle. The food is good, but I think Italian is a dying cuisine for restaurants.

The thing about Italian food is that for a lot of people it's thought of as "common" or not especially top shelf.  So you see a lot of "Joe's Pizza and Pasta" places in local neighborhoods, but it's hard to market it as premium in the downtown area.

My blog: Doohickie

#385 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

I feel like both. Although Wild Salsa JUST opened and I haven't seen the number of patrons who go there, I just think it's tucked away on that section of Throckmorton.

Idk... maybe give it some more time or maybe wait until Hooters opens to see what's up.

7fwPZnE.png

#386 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

maybe give it some more time or maybe wait until Hooters opens to see what's up.

After all the objections to Hooters, wouldn't it be ironic if the other restaurants there benefited from foot traffic generated by Hooters?

#387 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

maybe give it some more time or maybe wait until Hooters opens to see what's up.

After all the objections to Hooters, wouldn't it be ironic if the other restaurants there benefited from foot traffic generated by Hooters?

It may also be detrimental to the foot traffic of other nearby restaurants for reasons that we probably understand.  I suppose it will be a wait a see situation.

#388 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

It may also be detrimental to the foot traffic of other nearby restaurants for reasons that we probably understand.  I suppose it will be a wait a see situation.

I don't see that at all.  I simply can't imagine that anyone would avoid from that area just because of Hooters.  Ojos Locos is essentially the same concept with less brand recognition and you don't hear any outcry against them.

On the other hand, because Hooters *does* have the name recognition, I can see visitors to the downtown area seeking them out, and once they're in that general area, deciding on an alternative restaurant.

I also think its proximity to Panther Island Pavilion will produce a lot of foot traffic.  If you're staying downtown for a Panther Island event, Hooters (and neighboring restaurants) will be on the way to and from the venue.  I could see it spurring economic activity as a Panther Island Gateway.  I don't think it needs to be a Hooters per se, but since they're coming in, they'll do.  I think Buffalo Wild Wings, Dave and Buster's, Bar Louie, BJ's Brewhouse, etc., would have been other restaurants that would have the same effect.  Hooters just happens to be the first one that jumped in.

#389 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

I feel like both. Although Wild Salsa JUST opened and I haven't seen the number of patrons who go there, I just think it's tucked away on that section of Throckmorton.
Idk... maybe give it some more time or maybe wait until Hooters opens to see what's up.

I feel like the plaza between the buildings is a good addition to the area. Also, with Studio 80 doing really well it feels like the area west of Throckmorton is showing signs spot activity and will help stretch the downtown entertainment district over a couple of streets west. It may be a slow process, but there it is progress.

#390 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

....On the other hand, because Hooters *does* have the name recognition, I can see visitors to the downtown area seeking them out, and once they're in that general area, deciding on an alternative restaurant.....

If this scenario plays out as you are outlining: Good; We can all hope for the best situation. :)

#391 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Austin55 joined me to take a few pictures last night and we went to Wild Salsa afterwards.  Unfortunately, Austin already had eaten, but I did order the "Wild Tacos".  Wild Tacos are that you can mix and match any of the tacos they serve.  I had one beef, one fish, and one shrimp.  A side of black beans, rice, and Mexican slaw came with the meal.  Thought the food was very good and flavorful.

#392 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

What happened to the November / December forum meet?

- Dylan

#393 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

It didn't happen.  I got busy, as usual with every holiday season.  By the time it was all said and done, I had one day free and that was Monday.  Austin and I hooked up more or less on the spur of the moment.  Even with that happening, I had some family issues come up and I was about one hour late from the time that we agreed to meet.

#394 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Austin55 joined me to take a few pictures last night and we went to Wild Salsa afterwards.  Unfortunately, Austin already had eaten, but I did order the "Wild Tacos".  Wild Tacos are that you can mix and match any of the tacos they serve.  I had one beef, one fish, and one shrimp.  A side of black beans, rice, and Mexican slaw came with the meal.  Thought the food was very good and flavorful.

I can say the decorations are very interesting, I liked the atmosphere a lot. The chips & salsa were solid to. 

#395 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

Wild Salsa has the BEST chips & salsa (verde) I've ever had... by far. 

7fwPZnE.png

#396 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

I will admit the chips and salsa were good.  However, I thought my tacos were extremely tasty.  The beef one had a lot of flavor and it was tender.  These were not ground beef tacos.  I love shrimp, so all they had to serve me was that taco and I was in heaven.  The fish tacos were some of the best that I had recently.  I'm definitely looking forward to my next visit.  The waitress also recommended the chicken enchiladas, so I will have to try those.

#397 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

So, remember the Chop House Burger that was proposed to go in this space like 3 years ago or so, but never happened?

Well . . .

http://imgur.com/a/dr3R2

7fwPZnE.png

#398 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

I knew they were actually going into that space because I had seen they had been working on it the last time I was eating at Wild Salsa.

#399 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

I knew they were actually going into that space because I had seen they had been working on it the last time I was eating at Wild Salsa.

Is the Chop House Burger place going in where Hooters was going?

#400 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

They cancelled Hooter's?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Construction Photographs, Old Tandy Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users