• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

On the north side of West Seventh, about halfway between Henderson and Summit, is the old Packard automobile dealership. As I understand, it was built in 1929 to be the Packard dealer. I have actually seen in the City Directory from 1931 that the dealership subsequently moved to another location on West Seventh by '31.

In past several years, a guy who is evidently an Alfa Romeo enthusiast has housed his early-'70's Alfas there. He even had a neon "Alfa Romeo" sign in the front. There was a lot of what looked like debris scattered throughout the interior.

A few months ago the cars disappeared and in the past few weeks his Alfa sign disappeared. And now, in the past week, the signs of a construction company hang in several of the windows. I fear this is an ominous sign.

Is this building slated for demolition? I am quite a car enthusiast--and big fan of historic preservation--and would be very disappointed to see such a building leveled. Does anyone know about it? Perhaps the construction company is only going to remodel the inside. But if not, perhaps we need to stop this in its tracks.

-Jim Raymond

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Interests:Writing, photography, sci-fi, games, music.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

On the north side of West Seventh, about halfway between Henderson and Summit, is the old Packard automobile dealership. As I understand, it was built in 1929 to be the Packard dealer. I have actually seen in the City Directory from 1931 that the dealership subsequently moved to another location on West Seventh by '31.

In past several years, a guy who is evidently an Alfa Romeo enthusiast has housed his early-'70's Alfas there. He even had a neon "Alfa Romeo" sign in the front. There was a lot of what looked like debris scattered throughout the interior.

A few months ago the cars disappeared and in the past few weeks his Alfa sign disappeared. And now, in the past week, the signs of a construction company hang in several of the windows. I fear this is an ominous sign.

Is this building slated for demolition? I am quite a car enthusiast--and big fan of historic preservation--and would be very disappointed to see such a building leveled. Does anyone know about it? Perhaps the construction company is only going to remodel the inside. But if not, perhaps we need to stop this in its tracks.

-Jim Raymond

Jim,

I think - but I do not have confirmation - that the building has recently leased a new tenant, so it's likely just a remodeling. The owner of the building (that's who had the Alfas) also owns several buildings in the Near Southside. I haven't heard anything about it being demolished. Will try to clarify with him.

- Writer, musician, photographer, general nerd.

#3 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Work today at the building. The long, skinny garage building in back has been demolished and windows removed except for the ground floor in front. Anyone know what is going on?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

The owner of the building who had the Alphas sold it earlier this year. A new owner is remodeling it for a new tenant. The previous owner had the Demolition Delay Designation removed, so it currently has no protection against demolition. Demolition Delay was not much, but it was something. From what I have been told, they are not going to tear down the building.

#5 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

the hyder family owns that building , mr hyder passed away last year. i dont think that they would sale.

#6 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

The owner of the building who had the Alphas sold it earlier this year. A new owner is remodeling it for a new tenant. The previous owner had the Demolition Delay Designation removed, so it currently has no protection against demolition. Demolition Delay was not much, but it was something. From what I have been told, they are not going to tear down the building.

Those were some fine Alfas! I remember them driving around camp bowie and such. 70's Berlina 4 dr., and GTV...

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Here is the S-T article detailing plans for the Packard dealership building and the Fort Worth Bolt and Tool buildings on Bledsoe:

http://www.star-tele...orths-near.html

Isn't TLC Urban (Tony Landrum) the firm that owned and renovated the north tower of the City Center / former Tandy Center before selling it prior to the current reconstruction work there?

#8 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Here's the article fro the FW Biz Press http://www.fwbusines...SubSectionID=49

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

From the article:

Conk said he is working with a Chicago dealer to find a Packard sign.

Now THAT is cool!
My blog: Doohickie

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Walking to Target the other day I saw them working on it. I stepped back there so I could ask what is going on. There was a guy sweeping the floor. I asked, "Is this building being remodeled?" He said, "Yah, I think so." As I was walking away, happy at that news, I had to laugh at my stupid question. "Why would they sweep the floor of a building they were tearing down?"

Just terrific news as I love this building. (And my nephew and his new bride live directly across the street in an apartment)
And I love Tony Landrum. Sure enough, he re-developed The Tower. I think he did an outstanding job and I will always be grateful to him.
www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users