Frankie's Sports Bar

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mulligan69

mulligan69

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Golf, cooking, most other sports, friends, family, history, most outside activities, reading - experiencing new things.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

Coming to Sundance Square soon, hoping to open in about 3 months. Location will be 421 West 3rd Street and occupy about 8,000 square feet of space. From what I'm told from sources at Sundance, this is going to be a really nice and great sports bar.

http://frankiesbar.com/

#2 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

They opened one last year in Lewisville. We stop in to get someting to eat and it was happy hour and the place was so full of cigg smoke we left.
Maybe it will not be like that in Fort Worth.

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Have never been to this new Sports Bar. (Frankie's) It is in the Carnegie across from the Central Library.
Don't do Booze or Sports. But a guy at work told me the food was really good. So we went there this afternoon. Food was really good. I like the place. I sat in a really high booth. I like high booths and chairs... makes me feel like a little kid. (Felt like my Mommy was going to scold me for eating too fast...)

Wife and I had a couple of Salads and some Chicken strips. (Forget what they were called but we asked for really spicy and they were really spicy.)
Delicious food at a fair price. We will be back. We went when we did because we wanted to avoid the later crowd. Also, a friend of mine told me it is un-cool to photograph people in a bar. It was just right for us. Nice staff. Sneaked (Snuck?) a few pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We will enjoy this great outdoor eating area when the temps drop below 103°. If they ever do.
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

That salad looks delicious. I love avacados.

#5 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

How smoky was it? Looks like standard bar food, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

#6 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

What the heck is wrong with those people... They have no faces! :unsure:

#7 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Brian, your photo above reminded me of this one I did earlier this year:

Posted Image

I'll have to try eating there sometimes. I do like certain sports and certain beers. And most food. :)

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

I like the place, food is good but I'm speaking from very limited exposure, I'm hoping they can maintain their current level of quality, looks very promising. Now we just have to find something to replace Fat Daddy's.

...as for taking pictures in places that sell alcohol, if companies barred picture taking they'd lose 60% of their advertising / if not all of their social advertising, look at dfw.com for Pete's sake. If someone is opposed to having their picture taken, either learn to deal with it or stay home, within 5 years some cities will resemble the UK for video coverage, which I do not think is a bad thing. I do believe flashes should be barred, if you can't figure out how to snap photos in a well lit pub sans flash you should lose your photographer's license for a week or something.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:The city of FORT WORTH

LOWRIDERS

TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

I have been there once. Not to bad of a spot. one thing I will say is it is a bit off to the side. None the less I had a good time. Lord knows I could use the walk from time to time.
TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB
Fort Worth Texas

United Lowrider Council

#10 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

Who owns Frankies?

I'd like to find out who's behind all the establishments downtown, guessing it's public data somewhere.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#11 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

Frankie's has closed. The owners explain in this Star-Telegram report.

#12 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

Frankie's has closed. The owners explain in this Star-Telegram report.

This explanation of their business failure is so lame.  Blame Obama for everything get a life!  Maybe the one in Lewisville will close soon too and open up a space for a better restaurant.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Way to go, Obama. 

#14 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Location, slow service, warm beer, and not very good food probably didn't help either. :wink:

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

Beverly, unfortunately, I have to agree with you.  I was only in there twice and both times, the service was slow and I was not impressed with the food.  Of course, I realize the place was a sports bar, and I shouldn't expect great food, but there were better places where you could watch a game, have fun with your friends, and get better food and service.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

Shame on Frankie's and shame on the Star-Telegram!

Both, you would assume, are aware of the new Dept. of Labor rule  that took effect 12/01/16 and that mandates higher pay for employees, by way of overtime,  who are forced to work longer hours in order to make a living wage.

So Frankie's is a sports bar.  Could it be that it is not Obamacare, which has been in place now for several years, but instead A. TCU, Baylor and Texas are all having down seasons; B. Interest in the NFL is down; C. Texas Ranger's epic flop in the playoffs; D. People have more ways to watch sports; E. Other interests are ascending while sport is descending; and F. The food & service, for which I haven't any first hand experience is of poor quality and the location,  which by the way looked to be challenging, is a cause?

This is pathetic reporting by the Star-Telegram; a newspaper who itself is struggling to hang on to readership. For the Star-Telegram to simply repeat the rantings of a poor business scheme without looking deeper into the cause(s) for Frankie's closing is lazy reporting.  You can include the Business Press also.

President Obama should be commended for trying to get working class people better wages.

http://nrn.com/spons...-overtime-rules

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

The new overtime rules did not go into on December 1 because of an injunction by a federal judge.  Even still, I'm not sure what that would have do with Frankie's since it only applied to salaried employees making below $47,000 per year.  Most, if not all, of the bar's employees were hourly and already eligible for overtime.

Pretty poor excuse making by the owner.  He only had to offer insurance to his employees averaging over 32 hours per week. It's highly unlikely that many would take the insurance coverage and his portion of the cost would have been far less than the $200,000 penalty he's claiming he would have paid. 

I don't blame the Star Telegram for this.  The owner should be held accountable for saying something so ridiculous.

#18 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

The Star-Telegram's Bud Kennedy also found the managers' explanation lacking: https://twitter.com/...8238630912?s=09

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

Health care issue aside, I always liked Frankie's.  Last time I was there on a late Saturday night with a pool-playing buddy we had a beer and ordered a large supreme pizza.  The service was quick (of course they were about to start stacking the chairs on the tables).  And the pizza was excellent!  Yesterday I posted the S-T article on my Facebook page and the comments about this sports bar were horrendous.  You'd think it was a dive!

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

the comments about this sports bar were horrendous.  You'd think it was a dive!

No, dives have a certain campy charm.  And cheap prices.

My blog: Doohickie

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

the comments about this sports bar were horrendous.  You'd think it was a dive!

No, dives have a certain campy charm.  And cheap prices.

Definition of "dive bar" (from google):

Dive bar. ... Dive bar is a colloquial or informal American term for a disreputable bar or pub. Such bars may also be referred to as neighborhood bars, where local residents gather to drink and socialize. Individual bars may be considered to be disreputable, sinister, of poor upkeep, or even a detriment to the community.

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like interesting people!

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users