#1 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

John and the Moderators:
What would you guys think about putting up a Facebook page for the forum? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just something with a link and description.

#2 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Sam Stone @ Apr 30 2010, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John and the Moderators:
What would you guys think about putting up a Facebook page for the forum? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just something with a link and description.

Sounds pretty straight forward, I could also see a future with foursquare too.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

I don't have a Facebook account, and never heard of foursquare; what's that?
My blog: Doohickie

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Doohickie @ May 1 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have a Facebook account, and never heard of foursquare; what's that?

Where FaceBook is self explanatory FourSquare is still a developing format, their pitch is "Foursquare on your phone gives you & your friends new ways of exploring your city. Earn points & unlock badges for discovering new things."

I do see it as a very handy resource for downtown establishments. Imagine walking around downtown trying to get into your favorite club, not an issue of late but still, assuming your plans have changed and now you're looking for other options. Imagine being able to pull up ALL the clubs and restaurants within a 4 block radius, ranking them by cover charges, drink specials, live music or music genre for that day or night, by price or distance.

With all GPS tools, privacy and stalking, mobbing related issues abound.

Geo Caching and a FourSquare app for downtown architecture would be pretty cool, I'm working on it.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Sam, I had thought about it at one time, but I decided that I didn't want to put the time in it. Over the last few years, I have been time challenged. That has been due in part to a lot of overtime and regaining my interest in bicycling. In March, I finished up a big school renovation project on the boards, so my work schedule is finally going back to "normal". Construction starts on the schools in the summer, so I will be busy with those by working out in the field some. I've been trying to catch up on some personal things, and soon, I hope to start putting more time back into the web site and forum.

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

That's the problem with utilizing formats external to the forum, with FaceBook, there would be some maintenance involved. I do think there are some technologies that would enhance the forum, say for instance being able to stand in front of a building downtown and be able to read the description of it from the forum, maybe one or two extra blurbs.

Static info would be the key for initial integration, enhancements to the forum.

#7 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

One thing I really like about the idea is helping to create a sort-of network of Fort Worth-related Facebook pages. That might be a way to help members discover other groups with which they share some interest. In the same way it would also help Fort Worth groups expand their membership and audience and make their Facebook presence that much more effective.

In the spirit of that, I think I'll start a thread that we can all use to share Facebook pages that may be of interest to our members, whether because they are Fort Worth-related or because they are related to other frequent topics of discussion.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Well, I bit the bullet today and put up a Facebook page for the entire web site. Hopefully it will generate more interest in the site and the forum. There's not much to it yet, but here's the link: http://www.facebook....323145954381212

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Cool. And in the meantime, I now have a FB account.

#10 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

John.. I think you're doing the right thing by setting up the FB page. The combination of the Forum and the FB page is strong and one enhances another.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1- Add one or more administrator to your FB page. Preferably people you trust and that already have some experience with FB. This will ease your load and add multiple viewpoints to the way the the page is handled.

2- Actively cross-post between the FB page and the Forum. Be topic specific at times and at others just be general. For example: Make a FB post that mentions one of the threads now running with a link to that Forum thread. Here on the Forum..post news about the FB page and ask Forum members to "like" that page. Also Forum posters should link their posts to the FB page if possible. All this is very powerful.

There's a lot more that can be done that will rev the Forum up and create another venue for Fort Worth Architecture.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Pete, I was already going to do your suggestions. Thanks for offering them. My choices for other administrators will probably be the same people that help me administer this forum. I've known these people a long time, and I do trust them. I was also going to post links to updates on the Architecture site. My last upload was The Stayton on Museum Way. It will probably go a little slow until after New Year's because I've been going into work early, staying late and working on the weekends. I have not been riding my bicycle, except in the Fort Worth and Cleburne Christmas Parades (all of maybe 4 miles between the two). Also, we have relocated our offices, and where I used to get up and walk downstairs to take care of any personal business, go to the car, or anything else, now everything is on one floor and contained in our office. So, I'm leading a much more sedentary work life, which is not healthy.

#12 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

This will also enable people to post an image on FB and reference it on the forum without having to upload to a 3rd party host.

This might work out, not sure how cluttered it will be, we may be able to have public albums, some form of categorization or organization... maybe.

Example:
Posted Image

#13 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I just posted the message below on my FB Status, on the Remember Fort Worth group, the Lake Worth Museum group and my Fort Worth Gazette page to encourage FB people to travel to the new FWA.com FB page. I encourage Forum members that are on FB to so something similar to introduce the new page to their "friends" and to build up membership.

FortWorthArchtecture.com, that great resource for Fort Worth Topics and pictures, has just set up a FB page. Everyone please drop by the link, give them a "like" and participate.https://www.facebook...323145954381212

Pete Charlton
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Thank you, Pete. It looks like that has generated more interest, already.

#15 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

John.. Suggest you put an image in place of the Ipboad banner so that when a FB share button is used, your logo or image is shown instead of theirs.

Pete Charlton

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Pete, I put my own banner in the forum and that has been a complaint since I last upgraded the forum. However, it must not be in the right location for FB to get it. I will have to do more digging to figure out where it needs to go.

#17 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Once people realize FWA has a FB page I suspect it will snowball.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

David, you are probably correct. I also need to work on the main site because I have a lot of photographs that I haven't uploaded. I will admit that this prompted me to replace the IPBoard banner on this forum.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Well, I "Liked" the FB page last night. Looks good, so far. I would recommend highlighting the Z Boaz Golf Course thread; that is probably of interest to a lot of west siders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users