Jack In The Box restaurants of the past

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

In my daily "web gophering", I came across some really cool pics of vintage Jack In The Box restaurants and the classic Jack drive-thru menu. The pics are not of local venues, but are of restaurants that would've been seen in and around Fort Worth in the past.

These first two are identical designs, but different color schemes. The first one is dated 1964, while the other one would undoubtedly have been from the same era:

Jack In The Box restaurant, circa 1964

Jack In The Box restaurant, circa 1960s

Here's a design that is mistakenly dated from the 1950s, when in fact it was seen more prevalently from the late-'60s to early-'70s. The pic is b&w, but the structure was painted a bright orange and white with black trim:

Jack In The Box restaurant, circa late-'60s to 1970s

And here's the classic Jack In The Box drive-thru menu, featuring the unmistakable clown head:

Classic Jack In The Box drive-thru menu

The one closest to me back then was the one at 515 S. Henderson St., just across the street from Harris Methodist Hospital and Green B. Trimble Technical High School. I do have a question for y'all, though. Would anyone remember when the architectural graphics changed from the very colorful version from the mid-1960s to the bright orange/white/black of the late-'60s to early-'70s? My first memory of Jack In The Box (about the late-'60s) was of the latter color scheme. Thanks, and enjoy the pics!

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#2 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

Saginaw,

I do remember seeing the bright older colors pre 70's. I purchased several Jack In The Boxes in 1989 in Ft. Worth, Weatherford and Mineral Wells and they had already changed to the red and white colors and some still had the JACK head on building signage. I remember one on Grapevine Hwy in Haltom City when I was in High School in the 60's that had the old colors.

#3 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

Do you remember in the late 70's Jack in the Box went thru a total make over and the commercials on TV showed them blowing up the clowns on the drive-thru menus? They didn't know what a great set-up they were giving themselves for "Jack" taking back his company in the 90's. Seems like they've always been pretty creative marketing-wise.

gotta love youtube...

#4 Eric_T

Eric_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Apr 5 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one closest to me back then was the one at 515 S. Henderson St., just across the street from Harris Methodist Hospital and Green B. Trimble Technical High School.

--Saginaw

I ate at that Henderson St. Jack In The Box back in the day. Just north of that location was a Toddle House at Henderson & Broadway and next door to Toddle House was an old home that housed the Lutheran book store.

Mostly though I went to the Jack In The Box on River Oaks Blvd which burned down and was never rebulit. And as a matter of interest there was a murder at the Jack on Camp Bowie & Bryant Irvin/Guilford Rd.

#5 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

You are correct about the murders. I owned that Jack In The Box at the time and one of the employees came back and murdered two others. It was a very sad day and one that I will not forget. I had to inform some of the families of their loss. That was Feb 1994. You just don't know what people are going to do.

#6 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for your replies, fellas.

Cowtown Mike, sorry to hear about the sad duty you had to perform. On a much lighter note, I worked at the same Jack In The Box on Grapevine Highway from February to June, 1985, but I thought that was in North Richland Hills, just a "stone's throw" away from old Richland Plaza. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the physical size of that particular restaurant seems to have not changed since it's construction, whenever that was. From my research, that would make it an original Mark II design, albeit modified several times over. If you don't mind me "picking your brain", would you happen to guess what year that particular restaurant "showed it's colors", so to speak?

801hme, I certainly remember those old JIB commercials. Man, I TOTALLY forgot about the old Hot Ham n' Cheese Supreme sandwiches! Those were one of my favorites back then, next to the all-time classic (and sorely missed) Chicken Supreme. By the way, the old lady was actress Nedra Volz, who was one of those actresses whom you recognized her face, but not her name. She was about 72 when she shot that commercial, and she lived to be 94.

Eric_T, what was the Toddle House? Thanks!

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#7 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

Saginaw-

Man, do I remember the Henderson location...When I was a kid my Doctor's office was on 8th Ave. In those days, you got a shot when you went to the Doctor no matter what was wrong with you. The Jack-in-the-Box on Henderson was my consolation prize every time I went to the Doctor. I don't remember the Toddle house, but there was a "Steak & Egg Kitchen" north of there, and across the street from there was "Choo-Choo Chicken" with the miniature trains that brought you your food. Right across from the Jack-in-the Box was the "Tastee Bread" factory (I think that was the name) that had the big mechanical sign with big slices of bread faling out of a loaf...I have a picture of that sign somewhere...I'll try to find it...

#8 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, History, Antiques

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

In the '70s the Southwest High and Pascal crowd often cruised the Jack in the Box on W. Seminary, just east of McCart. There was also a JITB on 7th Street that hosted a "Cruise Night" on Fridays. It was a popular "re-living the '50s" sort of event that consisted of classic car/hotrod enthusiasts gathering in the large parking lot next door.

#9 unknowntbone

unknowntbone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

If I recall correctly, the Toddle Houses were slowly turned into Steak and Egg's. I remember one directly across the street from the TCU theater on University--next to the Stables Pub and a MrQuik burger joint. All of them long ago demolished.
Toddle Houses were primarily known for after-hours food. Just a counter, and a griddle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users