27 replies to this topic

#1 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

It is hard to believe that the Main Street Arts Festival is celebrating its 25th year!

http://www.youtube.c...u/1/IhXPkSHjuEE

#2 SWRebel

SWRebel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Showbiz

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

I went the first year............ never been back except to work
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, ‘the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'"

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Main Street Arts Festival is the thing Fort Worth should be the most proud of. It is not about boxing people into a comma or abusing animals or gangs of too loud motorcycles. It is about art and family and food and music. It puts Fort Worth in its best light. It is something Fort Worth can be hugely proud of. I love every minute of it. If you do too, you might consider volunteering to help. Can be full time or part time or even just a day or period. It is really the right thing to do if you can do it. Downtown Fort Worth Inc. really appreciates the hand. As do people from all over the world that come to our great event. I hope to see you there! And if you can't help with it I do hope you come and enjoy it.

http://www.mainstree...eer-Signup.aspx
www.fortworthview.com

#4 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

^^^
Agreed. I've never been to a stock show in my life...but try to make it to Main St. every year. It's one of the best festivals in the country, IMO.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,673 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

I usually volunteer every year, also. I haven't signed up yet, but I'm thinking about working Friday night.

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

They always seem to be short on help.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

I was lucky enough to be chosen as an "Emerging Artist" this year. I hope all of you will stop by and say hello.

Booth 352

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Mar 19 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was lucky enough to be chosen as an "Emerging Artist" this year. I hope all of you will stop by and say hello.

Booth 352

You can count me in...

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:The city of FORT WORTH

LOWRIDERS

TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

is it this weekend?
TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB
Fort Worth Texas

United Lowrider Council

#10 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

It's April 8-11.

Just downloaded their app to my iPod and am looking at the entry for Booth 352. Congratulations, Longhornz32!

#11 mulligan69

mulligan69

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Golf, cooking, most other sports, friends, family, history, most outside activities, reading - experiencing new things.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Yes, the Arts Festival is this weekend. They have Main St. closed off and the crews are full at work setting it up right now - watcing them from my office tower. It is so great to stroll thru the scene at lunch, pick up a turkey leg or corn dog - good times. Also, for the first time in forever (far as I can remember), the weather will absolutely perfect for all 4 days. We normally get blasted with a storm at least one day during it. Come out and enjoy - should be a huge turn out this year.

#12 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Ah.. rain storm blast might be 6Apr2010 tonight and tomorrow in the morning. Its 2 days early this year.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#13 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Wouldn't be an Arts Fest without watching people scramble to hold down the tents. This year's weather forecast looks phenomenal for being outside: http://www.weather.c...r/weekend/76102 ...could be a record breaker!

#14 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

From City of Fort Worth website:

Military aircraft arriving downtown this weekend during arts festival
Posted April 6, 2010

Don’t be alarmed if you see Chinook helicopters landing on Commerce Street this weekend. The arrival of military equipment in downtown Fort Worth is not in conjunction with Main St. Fort Worth Arts Festival, which runs April 8-11. Delivery of military vehicles is in preparation for the Army Aviation Association of America’s annual convention planned April 14-17 at the Fort Worth Convention Center.

Helicopters will be landing on Commerce Street, directly east of the convention center on April 10. In addition, other military equipment will be staged at LaGrave Field north of downtown. That equipment will be transported through the central business district to the convention center. The route will be Main Street to Belknap Street, then to Henderson Street and on to Lancaster Avenue and Commerce Street.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#15 mulligan69

mulligan69

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Golf, cooking, most other sports, friends, family, history, most outside activities, reading - experiencing new things.

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Think I will head downstairs and have me a turkey leg for lunch. cheeburga.gif

#16 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Mar 19 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Booth 352

I can verify that longhornz32 is at the Main St Arts Festival. After spending the afternoon at the festival today, my wife and I plan on going back tomorrow.

burningphotography

#17 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

Main Street Arts Festival is really looking great this year. Great concert music tonight. New colored search lights on all the Main Street Buildings.

I have two pictures and a video for you from tonight. With all the new stuff and great weather, I am going on record predicting the biggest success ever for the Festival.

And a minute long video clip I took of the new colored lights. Way fun...

www.fortworthview.com

#18 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

It was fun finally meeting longhornz32 (see photo above) and seeing his impressive photographs. We enjoyed walking around the artists' exhibits, and had interesting chats with several. We also enjoyed the street performers, and the weather is perfectly gorgeous.

One complaint, though: It seems the festival organizers purposely used a pricing/coupon system that makes it very difficult to figure out how much things cost. I know food and drink are expensive at these types of events, and that's fine, but there's no reason to make it so obscure. Strips of 12 coupons (not 10, not 20) are $8, making each coupon worth 66.7¢. Most meal items (Kincaid's burger, Reata tamales, Mi Cantina tacos) are 14 coupons. Do the math in your head, quick! blink.gif Why not 50¢ coupons in strips of 10 or 20? Or dollar coupons, with meals costing 10 coupons? And who can use coupons in multiples of 12? Everyone will walk away with a few odd coupons, too few to buy anything else.

I was also a bit embarrassed for Fort Worth at the Lucky Bob 6 pm show, on the 5th St. stage. When it was time for his show to start, there were only four of us in the audience. As all good street performers do, he tried to drum up a bigger crowd. He called out to people passing nearby to come enjoy the show, and several flipped him the bird. He sang "Bad boys, bad boys" (COPS theme song) when three sheriff's deputies walked by and they acted somewhat surly and unamused in response. Bob handled it all gracefully and asked the crowd, "What is it with Texas?" (He's from Boston.) Eventually, quite a few people joined the audience and enjoyed his show. I highly recommend it myself, he's a funny guy.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,673 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

The Fort Worth Bicycling Association along with Bicycles, Inc. will have a "Bike Corral" for those patrons interested in riding their bicycles to Main Street. We will provide a safe place for cyclists to store their bikes during the festival while they are walking and enjoying the events. Look for us at the corner of 4th and Houston Streets. I will be working the event tonight from about 6 PM until 8 PM. I hope some of you can come down to visit.

#20 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

It's so busy down there you can barely wiggle and the lines of cars coming in are backed up for... could be miles.

#21 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Sundays are my favorite, all the frenzy has died down, very calm, cool and relaxed atmosphere.

It's also the best day for bargains!

#22 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

The weather was unusualy perfect! But. . . no curly fries!?!

#23 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Apr 16 2010, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The weather was unusualy perfect! But. . . no curly fries!?!

Was it just me (and several other people) or was the food lacking this year? Everything else was great though.

#24 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Holy moses, $8 for a small cup of Dippin Dots for my nephew. I don't think I could have afforded to purchase anything else.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#25 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

StartleGram had something about some of the downtown restaurants being caught off guard.

I think they need to rethink the whole tickets as currency, this was my 6th Arts Fest, I went the ticket route the first two years, waited in the long lines only to have to go back later and you always wind up with unused tickets. Almost stopped and picked up some this year but remembered the not so recent past and thought better.

WHEN will they start using credit / debit cards?

I can take them with my cell phone, cab drivers as well. Will 2011 be the magic year?

#26 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Not the experienced/ well-run restaurants...

Haven't heard any numbers yet but here is one of the stats we can see directly.......trash up 8 tons or 25% versus last year.

#27 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Now that it is a full month ago, here are my 2010 Main Street Arts Photo's. Too many to post and I can't decide so here is a link to my set if you care to view the slide show. (100 shots)

http://www.flickr.co...949553781/show/
www.fortworthview.com

#28 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Brian Luenser @ May 16 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that it is a full month ago, here are my 2010 Main Street Arts Photo's. Too many to post and I can't decide so here is a link to my set if you care to view the slide show. (100 shots)

http://www.flickr.co...949553781/show/

Great slide show; some of those overhead daylight shots appear positively claustrophobic -- curb to curb bodies. tongue.gif

Bruce Burton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users