According to The Observer...

Click to Read Texas - OU Article

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

I heard on KRLD this morning that the OU-Texas football game will continue to be played at the Cotton Bowl through 2025!  The news announcer commented, "...because it's where the Red River rivalry belongs!"  Okay, I know I may get a lot of grief from some by saying this:  Since when (other than tradition) does the football rivalry between OU and Texas "belong" in Dallas?  I say rotate the game every other year between Norman and Austin!  I say this because I used to be a Sooner fan living in Norman.  I was incensed that OU was always disadvantaged by always having to play UT in Texas.  Yes, people from Oklahoma come to Dallas to fill the bleachers just as people from Austin come up.  BUT having absorbed the fanatic Boomer Sooner atmosphere of an OU home game at Norman, I know it makes a difference in the spirit of the fans to the football team when they play there as opposed to away games.  I'm betting it's the same with UT at Austin home games.  This is not a statement against Dallas.  It's more a criticism of Austin and Norman for letting this rivalry game get stuck in Dallas so many years ago!  Yeah, I know your response:  Because it's always been in Dallas it should stay in Dallas.

#3 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

I think it's more because it's considered more or less the halfway point between the two universities. And yes it is in the state of Texas, but I think that it is a fair statement to say that for the longest time, the North Texas area has been fairly split between UT and OU fans. People are typically one or the other, then Tech and Baylor (though TCU has definitely staked its claim to the hearts and minds of the region as the home town team).

Having said all of that, I have always rolled my eyes when UT fans have talked in the past about their tough schedules when what has usually been their toughest game is always played on a neutral site. It has been generations since UT has had to try to beat OU in Norman which is a very tough thing to do, and vice versa for OU.

#4 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

I say this as a fan of neither the Longhorns nor the Sooners.

If you've been to the game- or even just the Fair on game day- you understand that this is something pretty special that needs to be preserved.  Some traditions are silly, but this one is a precious rite of fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users