• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

In reading the reddy kilowatt subject I see references to other jingles... Anyone remember Tex and Chuck
Appliances, Cecil Gill the yodeling cowboy who sang for Popular Clothiers?. Bud Sherman? Lots of happy memories from the 40's and 50's. The baseball commentator with his " gone gozzeling" description of a home run?

#2 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

The most memorable one I remember from the '50's was B&B Blind and Drapery.

"Better call B&B Blind and Drapery...etc., etc."

As I recall their phone number was JEfferson 4-1773.

I wonder what happened to them?

Bill Sievers
Natick, Mass.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Jul 28 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In reading the reddy kilowatt subject I see references to other jingles... Anyone remember Tex and Chuck
Appliances, Cecil Gill the yodeling cowboy who sang for Popular Clothiers?. Bud Sherman? Lots of happy memories from the 40's and 50's. The baseball commentator with his " gone gozzeling" description of a home run?

Cecil Gill was the "Egg Man". When I was a kid he drove a route from Bluff Dale where he had an egg farm to Fort Worth and delivered fresh eggs twice a week. At some point when I was in Middle School my dad bought a record from him, and told me I should ask him questions as Gill, the "Yodeling Country Boy" of radio fame, was the most famous star I was likely to ever meet. I thought he was cracked at the time, but years later I wish I had taken time to ask Gill about his life and career. Gill toured the "Hillbilly" circuit with Ernest Tubb, and some old timers remember him playing the Belknap Theater Saturday Matinees in the 1940's or 50's. I need to go dig in my late father's old vinyl and see if I can find that old Cecil Gill disk.

#4 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone remember the Trophy Nissan rap commercial?80's maybe early 90's.It seems that it was the sales people doing the rapping with sunglasses on.I used to roll on the floor laughing.It sounded kinda how the current jingle goes,Trophy,Trophy,Trophy Nissan!
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#5 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Jul 28 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone remember the Trophy Nissan rap commercial?80's maybe early 90's.It seems that it was the sales people doing the rapping with sunglasses on.I used to roll on the floor laughing.It sounded kinda how the current jingle goes,Trophy,Trophy,Trophy Nissan!

Yep, I definitely remember it, and it indeed played sometime in the timeframe you mention. One line from it that still stands out in my mind is "...you can buy it from a woman, or you can buy it from a man." Crazy. rotflmao.gif

I seem to remember that actress Peri Gilpin, who played "Roz Doyle" on the long-running sitcom 'Frasier', mentioned in an interview years ago that she and her family were models at one time or another in ads and commercials. According to her bio, she was born in Waco and raised in Dallas, so that's pretty local. No idea what ads she and her family were in, but it would be nice to know what they were, and even nicer to see them again.

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#6 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

Art Grindle: I WANT TO SELL YOU A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Ghost Writer in Disguise @ Aug 5 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Art Grindle: I WANT TO SELL YOU A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect emphasis and punctuation, Ghost Writer, I can hear him now!
I remember very well being fascinated by his low-priced heaps'n'beaters--some were only $50.00-75.00 and they really looked like junk. But they were probably good handyman specials that would be classics today. I'd like them now!

Time machine. . . Oh Universe, over here please, (snap, snap) I ordered one Time Machine. . . wacko.gif

#8 cincyvid

cincyvid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Mortimer Moolah for Texas Consumer Finance (Texas CONsumer FInance). One of the great Bill Camfield's many brilliant characters

#9 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Of course, the long running bank advertisement jingle:

"Fort Worth National, that's my bank!"

Marsha Hadfield, a senior at Paschal in 1965, did the spot.

Here's a photo of Marsha and the story behind how it all happened:

http://www.fortworth...nettemarsha.jpg

Brad

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

I remember the "Jingle Bells" commercial run by Bill McDavid/David McDavid, the car dealers. Remember "Widetrack," their Great Dane, that appeared in all their TV ads? They took the original tune "Jingle Bells" by The Singing Dogs (originally recorded in the late '50s, I think) and ran a series of still pictures showing Widetrack barking to make it appear he was the one singing it. Sheer poetry. smile.gif That was back in the late '70s, wasn't it?

Didn't one of the McDavid brothers get out of the business to go into country music?

Car ads I just could not stand were done by Westway Ford in the '80s. They featured "Joe Greed," a slimy guy in a white suit, 100-gallon hat, and sunglasses three feet wide. The one ad of theirs that I actually liked was "the attack of the giant snails." Joe Greed claimed, "Westway Ford has been attacked by giant snails! All 'S' cars must go! And anyone who makes an 'S' car go gets a free box of snail pellets!"

#11 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Aug 8 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the "Jingle Bells" commercial run by Bill McDavid/David McDavid, the car dealers. Remember "Widetrack," their Great Dane, that appeared in all their TV ads? They took the original tune "Jingle Bells" by The Singing Dogs (originally recorded in the late '50s, I think) and ran a series of still pictures showing Widetrack barking to make it appear he was the one singing it. Sheer poetry. smile.gif That was back in the late '70s, wasn't it?

Didn't one of the McDavid brothers get out of the business to go into country music?

Car ads I just could not stand were done by Westway Ford in the '80s. They featured "Joe Greed," a slimy guy in a white suit, 100-gallon hat, and sunglasses three feet wide. The one ad of theirs that I actually liked was "the attack of the giant snails." Joe Greed claimed, "Westway Ford has been attacked by giant snails! All 'S' cars must go! And anyone who makes an 'S' car go gets a free box of snail pellets!"

The guy that played Joe Greed was actually the owner of Westway Ford.

#12 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Aug 8 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All 'S' cars must go! And anyone who makes an 'S' car go gets a free box of snail pellets!"

Bill McDavid closed his Pontiac dealership on W. 7th Street about the time
David McDavid came to Irving in the early 70s to open up a Pontiac dealership.
I think "Widetrack" was all David.

Bill and David's parents were big automobile dealers in Houston.

My friend has a MiniS with the Texas license plate: S CAR GO.

#13 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Ack. I just remembered a really annoyng jingle:

[male voice singing]
Bill McKay!
Oh what a great great guy!
He sells Chevys
At a real low price!
Twelve Oh One West Seventh Street
Check his Chevy deals
They can't be beat!

Followed by spoken ad copy and closing with:
Bill McKay oh what a great great guy!

And I just remembered another one:

[elderly female voice over clip-clop sound]
Bill McDavid Texas Ponti-ac today
With the best deals in Texas in ev-ery way
So for the best deals in Texas land
Shop Bill McDavid's Texas brand
Bill McDavid on West Seventh
In Fort Worth

#14 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

There was a jingle, all of which I remember was the last line:

"Pioneer Motors, say it again!"

which was repeated to a fadeout.

#15 jcg75

jcg75

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Jul 28 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha ha, I remember it! I think it was from the late 80's. It's now on YouTube:

John

#16 jcg75

jcg75

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

Does anybody remember the commercial for "The T", the local bus? It was from the late 80's or early 90's and went something like:

"Your car's in the shop,
and you're in a hurry,
it's okay, there's no need to worry
ride the T, ride the T"

-John

#17 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:46 AM

<!--quoteo(post=56839:date=Jul 28 2009, 11:21 PM:name=texastrill)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (texastrill @ Jul 28 2009, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=56839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone remember the Trophy Nissan rap commercial?80's maybe early 90's.It seems that it was the sales people doing the rapping with sunglasses on.I used to roll on the floor laughing.It sounded kinda how the current jingle goes,Trophy,Trophy,Trophy Nissan!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ha ha, I remember it! I think it was from the late 80's. It's now on YouTube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.c...?v=E-ILi9CGVhs" target="_blank">

John

We're thinking the ad was mid 80's, right about the time Saturday Night Live had a "Middle aged White Persons' Rap sketch that was very close to the Trophy ad. Both tickled us.

#18 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

I was surfing around, seeing what was available in the way of yearbooks, when I came across this. As soon as I saw the name "Yale Lary", something rose from the graveyard of useless memories in the farthest reach of my mind. It shook off the mud and crud of a thousand years' torpor and began to stalk toward me. It went something like this:

I'm Helm
I'm Lary
We're priveleged
To carry
The finest stock of Fords something -something

Spoken copy, then:

I'm Bobby
I'm Yale
We're having
A sale
A sale that lasts from now throughout the year
You'll get the best deal in a Ford right here
Helm-Lary!

#19 WCS59

WCS59

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

Back in the 50's there was an animated TV ad for 7-11 featuring a rooster and an owl singing the praises of the store chain:

Seven days a week we open up at seven
And seven days a week we're open till eleven
From a-seven To eleven
From a-seven To eleven
We got ice
Drinks
Milk
Cheese
Meat
Fish
Bread
Peas
We got soup to nuts, that's why we sing
7-11's got
Everything!

#20 stevee

stevee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'll always remember her and that jingle, she was so pretty, sad to hear of her passing. Thanks for posting.

Of course, the long running bank advertisement jingle:

"Fort Worth National, that's my bank!"

Marsha Hadfield, a senior at Paschal in 1965, did the spot.

Here's a photo of Marsha and the story behind how it all happened:

http://www.fortworth...nettemarsha.jpg

Brad

#21 cincyvid

cincyvid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Just thought of another one: KFJZ TV promo late 50s: Two numeral 1s standing next to each other. One of them kicks the other --
Hey Bud, whatcha lookin at? Hey, Bud, whatcha lookin at
Lively Eleven
MMMM, Good Looking!

#22 jp54

jp54

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

In the 70's Whataburgers jingle "What a burger is what a burger should be.  What a burger for your family".  I am still singing that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users