• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

The Mr. Quick Hamburgers chain no longer exists in north Texas, but some of the buildings they used still do. Some are now restaurants that serve different kinds of food.

This Fort Worth Forum web site introduced me to a really good memories website about Mr. Quick, located at http://www.captainer...oat.com/mrquick

Some months ago I contributed some information I'd gleaned about Mr. Quick locations around FW back in the '70s, but very recently someone else contributed photographs of what some of those locations have since become. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, but they're there. You'll notice that many of the buildings had similar architecture, even though they've since been remodeled and repainted. There are locations in Euless and Mansfield, plus more.

#2 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

I remember Mr. Quicks. There was one out on Hwy 80 West and one alos in the Wedgewood Village Shopping Center.
Mike

#3 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ May 17 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mr. Quick Hamburgers chain no longer exists in north Texas, but some of the buildings they used still do. Some are now restaurants that serve different kinds of food.

This Fort Worth Forum web site introduced me to a really good memories website about Mr. Quick, located at http://www.captainer...oat.com/mrquick

Some months ago I contributed some information I'd gleaned about Mr. Quick locations around FW back in the '70s, but very recently someone else contributed photographs of what some of those locations have since become. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, but they're there. You'll notice that many of the buildings had similar architecture, even though they've since been remodeled and repainted. There are locations in Euless and Mansfield, plus more.

Seems like they were the first chain I remember using styrofoam cups. Not sure why that comes to mind, but it does. I remember the location just east of Riverside Drive on East Lancaster, and one on Berry between 35 and Riverside (?). The Lancaster building was a car-lot or a auto-mechanics shop last time I looked. I think a few became "Beefer's"-I think there was one on Pipeline in Hurst thats a "Beefers" or "Burger Hut" now. I'm hungry now. Thanks...

#4 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

Giraffe, thank you very much for knocking down some more "mental cobwebs" of mine! laugh.gif

I remember my family (particularly my older brother) talking about "getting a burger at Mr. Quick's" back in the late-'60s to the early-'70s. And I seem to remember seeing those unique signs that were planted in front of the restaurants, as they bore a superficial resemblence to the competing Griff's Hamburgers, at least to me. I'm guessing that we frequented the Berry Street restaurant, relative to where we lived at that time, with the East Lancaster location a close second. Also, along with Griff's, what other similar "burger joints" were in business with Mr. Quick's? All I can think of at the moment is McDonald's, Jack In The Box, Dairy Queen, Rockyfeller's, and the Good Luck on Rosedale.

What about the taste of a Mr. Quick burger? What "modern" burger chain would have a similar taste or experience? And what about Mr. Quick's menu? Did they just offer hamburgers exclusively, or were there other items available (like hot dogs, etc.)? Thanks for the "yummy memories", Giraffe! cheeburga.gif

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#5 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

In another lifetime I spent 30 years with McDonald's Corp. The first store I worked at as a teenager was at the 5305 East Lancaster Ave. of which opened in 1961 and was the second McDonald's in the state. I started in 1966. It later became a Long Jonn Silvers and I think it burnt down.

During that time the other locals I remember were Mr. Quick, Griffs,
Mike

#6 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

There was a Mr. Quick on West Seminary. I believe it is now a laundramat. Another old hamburger chain was Burger Chef. There was one right across the street from the TCU theater which some of my friends worked at. The shell of the building is still there in the form of a strip center.

#7 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

There was a Sandy's Hamburgers on Seminary.
Mike

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

The restaurant on Seminary was a Sandy's and Hardee's.

We already talked about that Lancaster McDonald's --

http://www.fortworth...m...f=30&t=2397

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

There's also a thread on the Sandy's on West Seminary Drive.

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=2090

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ May 19 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It later became a Long Jonn Silvers and I think it burnt down.

I can think of another Long John Silver's location that burned down. It was in the same shopping center as the Wedgwood movie theater, right up against Grandbury Road. I can't remember when this occurred but I do know that the damage was severe enough that the entire restaurant building was simply demolished and was never rebuilt. No trace left of it now.

LJS locations that are still open are getting harder to find these days.

#11 ALotech

ALotech

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Used to be a Mr. Quick at 2800 W. 7th St. It's now an Enterprise rent a car. Building is pretty much the same.

#12 baldtaxguy

baldtaxguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ May 18 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Giraffe, thank you very much for knocking down some more "mental cobwebs" of mine! laugh.gif

I remember my family (particularly my older brother) talking about "getting a burger at Mr. Quick's" back in the late-'60s to the early-'70s. And I seem to remember seeing those unique signs that were planted in front of the restaurants, as they bore a superficial resemblence to the competing Griff's Hamburgers, at least to me. I'm guessing that we frequented the Berry Street restaurant, relative to where we lived at that time, with the East Lancaster location a close second. Also, along with Griff's, what other similar "burger joints" were in business with Mr. Quick's? All I can think of at the moment is McDonald's, Jack In The Box, Dairy Queen, Rockyfeller's, and the Good Luck on Rosedale.

What about the taste of a Mr. Quick burger? What "modern" burger chain would have a similar taste or experience? And what about Mr. Quick's menu? Did they just offer hamburgers exclusively, or were there other items available (like hot dogs, etc.)? Thanks for the "yummy memories", Giraffe! cheeburga.gif

--Saginaw

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to share some info re: Mr. Quick. The chain was founded with a team that included my grandfather who was president through the 60's and into the 70's. My father was also a principle executive and took over the President role in the 70's through the very early 80's. As a kid, a number of my vacations were grand openings of Mr. Quick restaurants. The business stragtegy then was to introduce a new Mr. Quick restaurant within a small but growing town - usually an area where McDonald's or any other growing national competitor had not yet reached. The competition was primarily McD's, BK, and local existing restaurants. As a kid, the amount of hamburgers I ate by age 18 probably equaled what an average human consumes in a lifetime. We lived in Hurst for almost three years (1968-1971), but I'm not sure how many of the FW stores were established at that time. Quality was a key consideration of the food product - the closest taste I've come across of any burger offered to me today is not from any of the national fast food chains, but similar to those you might find at a specialty restaurant or tavern. Another thing of note was that I believe no competing fast food restaurant back then (mid 60's) offered an onion ring product. Burger King added one subsequently, and McDonald's and Wendy's never has. The food offering originally was primarily burgers and shakes, fries, o-rings (menu call signal "one golden-o!"). Other menu items were added as they succeeded, most notably the pork tenderloin sandwich ("one loin!"). This thread, and the site noted earlier in this thread, has brought back some great memories. I found some great color photos from the 60's that I hope to share once I get them scanned.

#13 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

baldtaxguy, welcome to the forum! And thanks for the very informative post!

#14 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ May 19 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In another lifetime I spent 30 years with McDonald's Corp. The first store I worked at as a teenager was at the 5305 East Lancaster Ave. of which opened in 1961 and was the second McDonald's in the state. I started in 1966. It later became a Long Jonn Silvers and I think it burnt down.

During that time the other locals I remember were Mr. Quick, Griffs,

That location still stands, although its most recent incarnation was a donut joint.

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

The Lancaster McDonald's was torn down.

It was replaced in 1974 by a new Long John Silver's that has given way to other eggroll/donut shops.

(This was covered earlier in the thread)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users