In 1939, it was apparent that the United States would get involved in the war in Europe. The X-B-24 bomber made its first flight at the Consolidated Aircraft plant in San Diego, California. Since new plants were needed to build this aircraft, the area west of Fort Worth was chosen as a site for one of the plants. Amon G. Carter, Sr., one of the city’s most generous benefactors, had already convinced Consolidated to use Lake Worth as a seaplane base. By November 1940, Fort Worth had procured fuel, crew lodging and moorings for the seaplanes. The fueling area was at the Holden Boat Works. Shortly after, the first of 200 PB-Y flying boats on their way from the San Diego plant to England began landing at Lake Worth on 30 Nov. 1940. The sea plane base only lasted about a year. This site was used to moor seaplanes all during the war. During bad weather in the Gulf of Mexico, the planes sought refuge inland at the lake into the 1950s.
PB-Y Sea Plane base on Lake Worth, WW II
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users