• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lonn Taylor

Lonn Taylor

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:History of the Southwest, Historic Preservation, Architecture and Decorative Arts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Last week I asked Forum members for memories and reminiscences of the Black Beret coffeehouse on Camp Bowie, open in 1959 and 1960, and so far have had no responses, so I will broaden the topic: does anyone have any memories of any Fort Worth coffeehouses of that era - the Black Beret, the Cellar, the Coffin, or others - that they would like to share?

Lonn Taylor

#2 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

I remember going to the Celler with some buddies and if I remember correctly it was upstairs and not really in a celler. I remember sitting on large throw pillows on the floor. We thought we were some big shot guys, having a drink. We went there in the late sixites.
Mike

#3 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ Apr 1 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember going to the Celler with some buddies and if I remember correctly it was upstairs and not really in a celler. I remember sitting on large throw pillows on the floor. We thought we were some big shot guys, having a drink. We went there in the late sixites.

"THE ORIGINAL CELLAR, a basement joint at the corner of Tenth and Main streets in downtown Fort Worth, was a beatnik coffeehouse, a trendy concept when it opened in 1959. By the time I was old enough to sneak out of the house, it had moved to a second-story walk-up three blocks from the Tarrant County courthouse, and no matter what the menu said, it was no longer serving just coffee, if you know what I mean. There were Cellars too in downtown Dallas (on Commerce Street, across from the KLIF building), in downtown Houston (in Market Square), and, briefly, near the River Walk in San Antonio, until officials of the area's five Air Force bases pressured it into closing."

More on The Cellar at the link below"
http://www.thecellar.../History001.htm

Pat Kirkwood moved into a house in our neighborhood in Western Hills, just north of whats now Camp Bowie West. The neighbors were very upset at first, but Pat was a good neighbor and all was well.

If you read the history of President Kennedy's visit to Fort Worth, there is mention of all the off-duty Secret Service Agents gathering at The Cellar the night of his arrival.

#4 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

When I was at Ft. Wolters in Mineral Wells in the late 60s, the Cellar was a well-known place to come to for, um, fun and partying until all hours. It was pretty wild and raucous.

#5 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Apr 2 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was at Ft. Wolters in Mineral Wells in the late 60s, the Cellar was a well-known place to come to for, um, fun and partying until all hours. It was pretty wild and raucous.

We played there in the 60s - "Cellar Dwellers" It was more interesting than you think!!!

#6 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Lonn Taylor @ Apr 1 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last week I asked Forum members for memories and reminiscences of the Black Beret coffeehouse on Camp Bowie, open in 1959 and 1960, and so far have had no responses, so I will broaden the topic: does anyone have any memories of any Fort Worth coffeehouses of that era - the Black Beret, the Cellar, the Coffin, or others - that they would like to share?

Lonn Taylor

I spent a lot of time in the Black Beret. I knew the owners. There were several so called Coffeehouses in Fort Worth. Most turned out to be beer joints with pillows. The Black Beret was the only coffeehouse that had an espresso machine. I think to be a coffeehouse you should have one.

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Why not just call Dink?

#8 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Buck @ May 2 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not just call Dink?

You are correct. Dink know everything.

#9 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

I used to go in the Cellar (the downstairs one) after the other clubs and bars shut down. Mayor Tom McCann was a regular there and I can still see him smoking that big cigar while on stage judging the young ladies "costumes" at times.
If you knew the right people you could always get something besides coffee - as EwingFTW mentioned. Those were the good old days when you could legally drive while drinking (as long as you weren't drunk), no seat belts, airbags, and you knew most of the officers on the beats and they were your friends and you looked forward to seeing them instead of having to worry about them watching and waiting for you to get a little over the edge.
Back then there were much fewer major accidents, drugs, law suits, domestic violence - well, there was Cullen Davis - and I can assure you schools would not be shutting down because a handful of kids caught the flu and we would have had Mayfest this weekend!

Just like our Granddads used to say, "Things just ain't the same anymore".

#10 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

I used to frequent the Fort Worth Cellar from 1966 to 1967. I got to know the people (bouncers and waitresses) who worked there and some of the band members as well. My best friend from elementary school was the head bouncer in which I got a job there as a unpaid regular (door watcher and general flunkie). For an impressionable naive 17 year old kid, this was the highlight of my life.

#11 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:technology, computer, old homes

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

I also went to the celler - just once- and boy did I think I was something for having gone. Of course the whole time I was there I scared to death. lol
East Side Girl

#12 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

Some friends and I went to the Celler a few times. I guess we thought it was cool sitting on the floor on some pillows and having a smoke and an drink.
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users