15 replies to this topic

#1 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

This is one of several photos that my folks took of their new home on Cordone St. in 1954, while it was still under construction. Located in South Hills, the house is on the south side of the street, just a few houses up from Westcreek Dr. What I can't figure out is what that large building (or complex of buildings) is that can be seen way off on the horizon. Given that the house faced north, I'm guessing that the buildings in question are to the southwest. Anyone?

#2 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

We moved the same area about that time and remember a number of old barns to the South and Southwest as there was still several working farms just South of where 820 and Westcreek are now. We used to walk from Bilglade to go rabbit hunting and there wasn't much development South of Cordone except these farms and buildings.
My brother found a wounded hawk in that area, built a large caged area for it and about every other day he would go hunting for rabbits, rats and snakes to feed him. Seemed like he had it for a year or so and then it was able to fend for itself and was released. We lived on the South side of Bilglade several houses West of Stadium and I remember having a great unrestricted view of the baron fields to the South.

#3 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

I assume that's the original ranch house on present-day Wooten, along with barns since torn down.

#4 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Nov 28 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume that's the original ranch house on present-day Wooten, along with barns since torn down.

I think that's correct and after seeing the picture, that is the same structure I remember seeing from our house.

#5 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Nov 28 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? The buildings look so large! That's interesting, as six years later we moved yet again to the house that I own today...one block down from that farm house!

#6 stgo2019

stgo2019

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

That's a really interesting photo. I lived at the corner of Cordone and West Creek for a while.

#7 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (stgo2019 @ Dec 1 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a really interesting photo. I lived at the corner of Cordone and West Creek for a while.

My dad took a lot of photos of the house during construction, and I'll post more once I sort through them. It's also interesting to see the view looking north, but the land rises and limits how far you can see. Funny thing about that stretch of Westcreek...I remember them changing the traffic pattern on either side of the creek three or more times. It would be two-way on both sides, then later they made them one-way, and later switched back!

#8 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

Mark,

This is a really interesting picture and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. I vaugely remember seeing the land out toward Wedgewood in the late 50's, and probably saw the farm house and barn shown in your picture, but I don't recall for sure. In the early '60's I lived on Covert Ave. not far from your location there on Cordone. The area around there and south of the Loop was pretty well developed by then.

#9 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Bill Sievers @ Dec 14 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark,
This is a really interesting picture and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. I vaugely remember seeing the land out toward Wedgewood in the late 50's, and probably saw the farm house and barn shown in your picture, but I don't recall for sure. In the early '60's I lived on Covert Ave. not far from your location there on Cordone. The area around there and south of the Loop was pretty well developed by then.

Sorry for the delay Bill, here's another one that I didn't even know I had. Taken around the same time, this one was taken at a distance, probably from Stadium Dr. Again, the shot was taken looking to the southwest, and our house is the one on the right. It's hard to get ones bearings with so few points of reference, and I'm curious where the homes on the right are. They could be close to Westcreek and where the loop would later cut through, but they might even be the homes that face the west at the corner of the loop and Trail Lake! The mystery complex is seen way off to the left, of course.

#10 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Wow! Is that ever interesting Mark! Your guess is as good as mine as to where those houses are situated with respect to today's landscape. It might be possible though to correlate that picture with the terrain today, given that in addition to the approximate X-Y axis, you would also have the Z-axis (elevation). that might allow you to determine fairly close to the point where this picture was taken 50+ years ago.

This raises a good point and example. We're faced with the same situation today with new homes being built in areas, where 50 years from now no one will be able to easily compare today's scene with one in the future...that is without GPS. In San Antonio several years ago, I visited the vacant lot where my grandmother's house used to be, and took some GPS readings just about where I knew her living room was. That way (if I live long enough!) I'll be able to say, "That's where my grandmother's living room was, and where we opened Christmas presents", despite there possibly being a multistory parking garage on the location someday! :-)

Keep those pictures coming!

Bill

#11 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

I'm still pretty sure the complex on the horizon on the left belongs to the ranch house still on Wooten Dr. The houses in the background right are probably on Southridge Terrace, I think, as Trail Lake is at the crest of the hill where it intersects I-20. It also looks me to me like perhaps the frontage roads for Loop 217 (then 820 and now I-20) are already in place, though I could be seeing something else.

#12 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Dec 18 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still pretty sure the complex on the horizon on the left belongs to the ranch house still on Wooten Dr. The houses in the background right are probably on Southridge Terrace, I think, as Trail Lake is at the crest of the hill where it intersects I-20. It also looks me to me like perhaps the frontage roads for Loop 217 (then 820 and now I-20) are already in place, though I could be seeing something else.

You're probably right about the ranch house. What doesn't seem right to me is how it's smack-dab on the horizon, as if the land slopes off beyond it. I live just down the street from that place, and I don't think of us as being at any sort of a high point. (although there's clearly a rise in elevation from the freeway to Wooten) While it doesn't really add anything, here's a shot taken before the last one, the dirt road in the foreground possibly being Martin Lydon.

#13 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

Great point about the elevation. I went to usgs.gov to look it up. Here's what I get:

Cordone at Westcreek: 715'
Westcreek at I-20: 746'
Wooten ranch house: 801'
Walton Ave., SSW of Wooten ranch house: 777'

I chose south-southwest because that would be in the direct background of these photos from the ranch house. Turns out it *is* at a high point in the area!

#14 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Dec 19 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great point about the elevation. I went to usgs.gov to look it up. Here's what I get:

Cordone at Westcreek: 715'
Westcreek at I-20: 746'
Wooten ranch house: 801'
Walton Ave., SSW of Wooten ranch house: 777'

I chose south-southwest because that would be in the direct background of these photos from the ranch house. Turns out it *is* at a high point in the area!

Wow Chris, I believe you've figured it out! I really appreciate the effort y'all have put into this. Merry Christmas everyone!

#15 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Were there no trees in that section of town in the 1950s or had that land been clear cut in anticipation of development? Are there any good photos from the 1950s and 1960s of various parts of Southwest Fort Worth including the parts of the Edwards and Foster Ranches that were developed around that time?

thank you.

#16 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Urbndwlr @ Dec 29 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were there no trees in that section of town in the 1950s or had that land been clear cut in anticipation of development? Are there any good photos from the 1950s and 1960s of various parts of Southwest Fort Worth including the parts of the Edwards and Foster Ranches that were developed around that time?

thank you.

That is the way all of the area looked. There were few if any trees at all in the area. It was all open farm land. If you go farther out to the end of Hulen you will see the same thing in the land that has not yet been developed. We moved to Wedgwood in 1958 and you never saw a tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users