12 replies to this topic

#1 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:21 AM

This is a long-shot, but does anyone recall the shopping center that used to be at the corner of Odessa and Bilglade in SW Fort Worth? We lived just down the street from the center on Cordone St., but moved when I was three to a new home in nearby Wedgwood. Anyone remember what stores were in that shopping strip? It seems so odd that it was hidden in the middle of a residential neighborhood, with nothing that could be called a major street nearby. I know there was a grocery (Piggly Wiggly?) and on the north end (closest to Bilglade and South Hills Elementary) was Jake's Barber Shop, where I got my first haircut! Where the shopping center once stood is now The Hill School.

#2 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Mark S @ Nov 21 2008, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a long-shot, but does anyone recall the shopping center that used to be at the corner of Odessa and Bilglade in SW Fort Worth? We lived just down the street from the center on Cordone St., but moved when I was three to a new home in nearby Wedgwood. Anyone remember what stores were in that shopping strip? It seems so odd that it was hidden in the middle of a residential neighborhood, with nothing that could be called a major street nearby. I know there was a grocery (Piggly Wiggly?) and on the north end (closest to Bilglade and South Hills Elementary) was Jake's Barber Shop, where I got my first haircut! Where the shopping center once stood is now The Hill School.

Yes, I remember the center well. Jake also gave me my first hair cut in 1953 and he was the only barber that cut my hair until I was 18. My dad and I went there every week and I still remember Jake and all the barbers that worked for him. I wouldn't let anyone else cut my hair and often waited an hour to get my hair cut. It was one busy place back in those days. Next door to Jake's Barber shop was a beauty parlor. As you moved on around the center toward the grocery store there was a Moreland's drug store and a Mott's dime store. The grocery store was initially a Worth Food Mart and later became Piggly Wiggly. The Hill school bought the property and the current school was built on the shell of the shopping center so much of it still is there, just in a different form. We also moved to Wedgwood in 1958 but always went to South Hills Shopping Center.

#3 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 21 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I remember the center well. Jake also gave me my first hair cut in 1953 and he was the only barber that cut my hair until I was 18. My dad and I went there every week and I still remember Jake and all the barbers that worked for him. I wouldn't let anyone else cut my hair and often waited an hour to get my hair cut. It was one busy place back in those days. Next door to Jake's Barber shop was a beauty parlor. As you moved on around the center toward the grocery store there was a Moreland's drug store and a Mott's dime store. The grocery store was initially a Worth Food Mart and later became Piggly Wiggly. The Hill school bought the property and the current school was built on the shell of the shopping center so much of it still is there, just in a different form. We also moved to Wedgwood in 1958 but always went to South Hills Shopping Center.

Thanks bailey, thank you very much! I know that we returned to shop in South Hills as well, but at some point they opened the Buddie's on Trail Lake, and that's where we ended up going most of the time. I remember the Moreland's (later Skillern's) in Westcliff, but didn't know about one in South Hills. I don't know when the barber shop closed, or when Jake died, but I remember seeing him in the late '70s. I had a paper route, and sometimes would go to breakfast with the District Manager, Jimmy. A couple of times we stopped by the barbershop on our way and picked up his friend, Jake.

#4 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Thanks bailey, thank you very much! I know that we returned to shop in South Hills as well, but at some point they opened the Buddie's on Trail Lake, and that's where we ended up going most of the time. I remember the Moreland's (later Skillern's) in Westcliff, but didn't know about one in South Hills. I don't know when the barber shop closed, or when Jake died, but I remember seeing him in the late '70s. I had a paper route, and sometimes would go to breakfast with the District Manager, Jimmy. A couple of times we stopped by the barbershop on our way and picked up his friend, Jake.
[/quote]

Jake was a great guy and his shop was there for a long time. I think he passed away around 1980. I don't know if you remember all his barbers and the guy that shined the shoes. They called him Skeeter and he worked at Jake's for a long time. It was always a lot of fun going there. My Mother worked at South Hills Elementary for many years which was just next to Jake's shop.

#5 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 21 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jake was a great guy and his shop was there for a long time. I think he passed away around 1980. I don't know if you remember all his barbers and the guy that shined the shoes. They called him Skeeter and he worked at Jake's for a long time. It was always a lot of fun going there. My Mother worked at South Hills Elementary for many years which was just next to Jake's shop.

Skeeter...boy that sounds familiar. I don't really remember anyone there other than Jake, but I do remember the family atmosphere in that shop. Oddly enough, what I remember most is the time that I was waiting my turn and reading Life (or possibly Look) magazine's article about the whole "Paul is dead" rumor. I was about 11 or 12 and a big Beatles fan, and I remember reading in amazement all the clues that could be found in the songs and on the album art!

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

I remember the South Hills Shopping Center, also. I can also recall the stores. Bailey is also correct in that the old shopping center is still there, it has just been remodeled and expanded for the Hill School. Actually, in the 1940's and 1950's, it was fairly typical to put the shopping center in the center of the neighborhood.

#7 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Nov 23 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, in the 1940's and 1950's, it was fairly typical to put the shopping center in the center of the neighborhood.

I suppose that's right, as the Westcliff Shopping Center was similarly located. Once upon a time small neighborhood groceries where everywhere, and I guess the early supermarkets followed that idea to some extent. There was once a Buddie's less than a quarter-mile from my home, and another store just a sort ways down Trail Lake. (in the center with the Wedgwood Theater and Ambrister's Hardware) Now I have to take the highway to get to a grocery! It's OK though...I'm not starving. cheeburga.gif

#8 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

I think that area (just a little South of South Hills Elementary) was the highest elevation in Fort Worth - I could be wrong. I know I live about a block West of there and the cell has hardly any service there with the cell tower at McCart and 820 (about a mile). I am thinking the hill is blocking it.

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Nov 24 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that area (just a little South of South Hills Elementary) was the highest elevation in Fort Worth - I could be wrong. I know I live about a block West of there and the cell has hardly any service there with the cell tower at McCart and 820 (about a mile). I am thinking the hill is blocking it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the highest point in Fort Worth was at the intersection of Alta Mesa and S. Hulen. There's a big church there and sometimes we used to watch the downtown 4th of July fireworks from the parking lot through binoculars.

#10 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the highest point in Fort Worth was at the intersection of Alta Mesa and S. Hulen. There's a big church there and sometimes we used to watch the downtown 4th of July fireworks from the parking lot through binoculars.
[/quote]

That is what I always thought also, Alta Mesa and S. Hulen. You can see everything in Fort Worth from there.

#11 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

You guys are probably correct then. Next time I have the GPS in the car I'll check them out.

#12 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

According to usgs.gov:

The elevation at:

- Hulen & Altamesa: 820 ft
- I-30 & Linkcrest: 840 ft
- Cattle Baron Rd., just north of White Settlement Rd.: 931 ft

#13 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Yep cbellomy, thats close to what I got today on the GPS:

Hulen & Altamesa: 824 ft.
Old South Hills Shopping Center: 790 ft.
The Wedgwood Nursing Home just East of Old Grandbury Road and Altamesa; 846 ft.

I had forgotten how high it is on Cattle Baron Rd. We used to eat at the Cattle Baron and would often park on the side of the road just North of White Settlement Rd. to spend some time looking at downtown Ft. Worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users