#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

Bill Sievers, there's no need to scan the image.  There is a high resolution version available from the UTA Library.  Here's the link:

http://library.uta.e...67e81f8ae8f.jpg

If it comes in fitting the screen, click on the photo to enlarge it.

#53 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for this link John!  This high resolution picture makes all the difference in the world for clarity.  I can now zero in on my old house on Biddison and see much more detail.  Brings back a lot of memories.  I didn't realize that's what the land looked like prior to the development of the old Fair Dept Store and Wyatt's Food Store.  When I arrived in FTW in 1955, those structures were already well underway.  The theatre at that time was almost all torn down except for the attached retail store space on the east side of the theatre building itself.  Bob Bolen's dad, the jeweler, had his store in that part of the building before he moved a short time later into Bob's toy store (the Toy Palace).  It seems like there was also another office or store of some sort in that part of the building. 

From what I see in the picture, the theatre's entrance was apparently from the south side of the building which I didn't realize.  At least that's what I'm assuming from the planform of the building and the feature on the southwest corner of the roof.  It looks like there may have been a spire of some sort on top for decoration.

Back in its day, the Westcliff Shopping Center was a major hub of activity in that area, even beating out Bluebonnet Circle in my opinion.

Do you know of any other historical pictures of the Westcliff Center?

Thanks,

Bill Sievers

Natick, Mass.

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Bill, I saw another one this week.  Even before I saw the aerials of the center, I knew the theater faced south.  That may have been from my exploring of Those are looking straight down.  The photograph that I saw this week was taken from the north side of the gas station, looking toward the Worth Food Market.  The theater was on the far left side of the photo, in the distance.  It did have a tower on the southwest corner of the building.  I would explore the UTA Library Website more thoroughly, you might find some aerials looking north.  I wish I could help you more, but I was born in 1957, so the only memories that I have are the old Wyatt's Grocery Store and vaguely, The Fair on the west side.  I have better memories of shopping at Monnig's when we didn't go downtown.

#55 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:46 AM

Ok John.  Thanks for the tip on the UTA Library website.  I will have to check that out.  It sounds interesting.

I suspected the entrance to the theatre was from the south as you confirmed.  After looking at the picture in more detail, I'm guessing it was taken earlier than 1954, but that's just a hunch.

Yeah, I too have memories of going downtown with my mom back in the mid-'50's and seeing all the dept. stores.  That was really exciting back then for an 8-year old!  The highlight of any downtown trip was waiting at the bus stop inside Leonard's Dept. Store and getting a bagful of jelly donuts.  I've never had jelly donuts as good as those since.  That's probably more wishful thinking than reality though!

One thing I remember when walking around downtown was there was always a guy with a camera who would take your picture as you walked along the sidewalk.  He'd then hand you a small card where apparently you could send off and get a copy of the picture he just took, for a fee of course.  It was a novel idea back then, but unfortunately I never availed myself of one of those pictures.  I certainly wish now I had done that!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all those on the forum.

Bill Sievers

Natick, Mass.

#56 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

I have photos of the Westcliff Shopping Center when it was new. Worth Food Market and Mott's were there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users