14 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I've received word that the little historic building at 8th Avenue & Magnolia that's been decaying for years has a date with the wrecking ball in its future. The building will apparently be demolished and a Comerica bank branch built on the site. I have a site plan of the new Comerica:

More to come, I'm sure. Thoughts?

#2 76107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thank heavens! That site really needed to be a branch bank! In the future, maybe someone, someone with vision beyond mine, will find a place to put in a Walgreens. Dare I dream someday of a Sonic too? The possibilities are limitless. Eventually maybe we can tear down broad swaths of West Magnolia and put in a Jiffy-Lube, PetSmart, Pier One, and maybe even a Vietnamese day spa. That'll be sweet. I'll see who's working on an assemblage and ask them if they want to partner up!

#3 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

To be fair, the Comerica appears at least to be an urban structure that would come right up to the street. I'm not sure if the crosshatching is paving of some sort or greenery - I hope it's decorative paving. Also, the parking and drive-thru would be screened. A concern I see from the site plan is the sidewalks presented look narrow - they should be full-width.

EDIT: Additionally, I hope the building is more than a single story. It doesn't say in the site plan but I assume it's not. Anything new on Magnolia would, I hope, be multistory with the ability for a mix of uses.

#4 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Oct 10 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Additionally, I hope the building is more than a single story. It doesn't say in the site plan but I assume it's not. Anything new on Magnolia would, I hope, be multistory with the ability for a mix of uses.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, though if the plan is to scale, the bank is going to be a little bigger than 60'x50' (not including that little bit that sticks out toward the corner of the block). Since the plan indicates the bank will be 3600-square feet, I'm afraid we're looking at a single story bank here.

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Recyclican @ Oct 10 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mean to burst your bubble, though if the plan is to scale, the bank is going to be a little bigger than 60'x50' (not including that little bit that sticks out toward the corner of the block). Since the plan indicates the bank will be 3600-square feet, I'm afraid we're looking at a single story bank here.

Fear not - there was no bubble to burst. I figured the building was single story.

#6 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Unfortunately banks seem to resemble fast food joints now.

This thread was a first for me today. I received an email from the forum announcing that the AG had posted this as a new topic in Commercial, complete with a link to come to this thread. smile.gif

#7 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Oct 10 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've received word that the little historic building at 8th Avenue & Magnolia that's been decaying for years has a date with the wrecking ball in its future. The building will apparently be demolished and a Comerica bank branch built on the site. I have a site plan of the new Comerica:

More to come, I'm sure. Thoughts?

There was a drugstore on the first floor and my dentist was upstairs. Don't remember the name of either........anyone?

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,663 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

Donnie has finally got the e-mail function operating again on this forum. It's taken a long time to put this feature back up.

#9 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Oct 10 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Donnie has finally got the e-mail function operating again on this forum. It's taken a long time to put this feature back up.

THANK YOU DONNIE ! This is great.

#10 muppetkiller

muppetkiller

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

It's been two years, maybe I'm wrong, won't that tear down one bungalow and take a vacant lot? There was so much street construction, last time I saw 8th and Magnolia, huge rain storm and I was driving.

What happened with all the street construction? I hear the Magnolia bldg. is being turned into lofts?

Would Kevin be so kind to take a photo of the intersection?

I know Near South is changing, greatly. I lived in Fairmount, worked in downtown and rode the bus, when it wasn't "cool". I even walked home, at times.

I was lured to North Dallas by a well-paying job, which suited my abilities. I've moved several times and I miss Fort Worth, even though it's trashy. As a native, I wonder why Fort Worth businesses and developers don't landscape. Xeriscaping wouldn't need water and it would be welcoming. North Dallas landscapes parking lots. It's also cleaner.

Thanks to all who talk about the changes. Fort Worth barely changed the last time I lived away. My friends and I walked down the middle of the streets, in 1980-something, to see the Caravan of Dreams. Downtown was our personal playground. The roof at the Caravan was always open.

I'm territorial and homesick. I miss the subway, Tandy, watching Sundance from a window, and the good stuff. I hate coming home to trash. North Dallas and Bricktown, in OKC are pretty clean. Fort worth is always nasty. Even my kids commented that Bricktown is clean, friendly and personable.

I spent years fighting for landscaping and cleaning up, as an urban pioneer. I got tired. North Dallas was no work, paid more and I didn't have to spend week-ends cleaning up the place.

Some things about Fort Worth drove me out.

#11 muppetkiller

muppetkiller

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (muppetkiller @ Oct 11 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been two years, maybe I'm wrong, won't that tear down one bungalow and take a vacant lot? There was so much street construction, last time I saw 8th and Magnolia, huge rain storm and I was driving.

What happened with all the street construction? I hear the Magnolia bldg. is being turned into lofts?

Would Kevin be so kind to take a photo of the intersection?

I know Near South is changing, greatly. I lived in Fairmount, worked in downtown and rode the bus, when it wasn't "cool". I even walked home, at times.

I was lured to North Dallas by a well-paying job, which suited my abilities. I've moved several times and I miss Fort Worth, even though it's trashy. As a native, I wonder why Fort Worth businesses and developers don't landscape. Xeriscaping wouldn't need water and it would be welcoming. North Dallas landscapes parking lots. It's also cleaner.

Thanks to all who talk about the changes. Fort Worth barely changed the last time I lived away. My friends and I walked down the middle of the streets, in 1980-something, to see the Caravan of Dreams. Downtown was our personal playground. The roof at the Caravan was always open.

I'm territorial and homesick. I miss the subway, Tandy, watching Sundance from a window, and the good stuff. I hate coming home to trash. North Dallas and Bricktown, in OKC are pretty clean. Fort worth is always nasty. Even my kids commented that Bricktown is clean, friendly and personable.

I spent years fighting for landscaping and cleaning up, as an urban pioneer. I got tired. North Dallas was no work, paid more and I didn't have to spend week-ends cleaning up the place.

Some things about Fort Worth drove me out. Nirvana talks about being what it means...I don't pretend to know.
After a while, it doesn't matter.

#12 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Any updates, as of yet? If no bank, how about xeriscaping?

That Medical Arts building needs to go away - Professional Pavilion is across the street (Baylor All Saints), though.

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I am hearing that the bank is starting construction soon.

Though I should add, since it got stuck in another thread, that the efforts of Fort Worth South were successful, and Comerica ditched their previous design. They went with a Near Southside local architecture firm (Quorum) and produced this, which is the design that will actually be built:

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,663 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

This new Comerica Bank Branch is scheduled to open on October 12th. Below is a link to the Fort Worth Business Press article on the new building.

http://www.fwbusines...h-old-look.html

#15 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

This will not bring back the old Brace Building but at least it preserves the architectural character of the original albeit being merely an exterior "cloak" over a thoroughly modern building. Older buildings often have a lot of charm and imitation, as we all know, is the sincerest form of flattery. Look at the ersatz turn of the last century look for Southlake's "Square"? Humans have been building structures since the Stone Age so just about every concept of design in architecture has been tested at one time or another. Some styles and designs have found more favor than others. The late 19th to mid-20th century rainbow of styles provides us with a lot to choose from. This design (from a Fort Worth firm, thankfully and thanks) visually integrates the new building with the older existing architectural streetscape so I personally think it is successful. However, I still feel at least the old facade of the Brace Building could have been kept and a new structure created within the space much as was done with the Sundance Square buildings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users