56 replies to this topic

#51 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

So I posted this in another thread when someone mentioned tearing down the strip mall on 7th and University. 

25114331085_ecb278c07f_b.jpg

It's not exactly the best or most accurate design, but I think we could still have a roundabout on that intersection if we stretched it like a football and altered the roads entering in. I still feel there's some room left to make it happen. 

The red, obviously, is the actual roundabout. The blue are the other roads (with the existing Camp Bowie east to south on University exit staying intact. The green is the space between, of course, and I didn't add it in to the West 7th side between the strip mall and new Chu Eyeworks, but you get the idea. 

As for the yellow and orange, it's what I would think would be a hotel or residential building. Yellow being the building and orange being a 3 level garage. 

It would take time, major planing, and some headaches to build it, but I think it could benefit the area by easing time waiting in traffic. There could also be an opportunity for a monument or fountain in the middle and unique signage like what you see in Houston's Galleria Area, only it would point to the direction of each road. 

88330-san-francisco-houston-postoaksanfe

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#52 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

One improvement I would suggest to help traffic flow would be a tunnel under the roundabout for University Drive to continue through north and south without having to go around the circle. Much of the University Drive traffic is trying to get from one side of town to another, and by having a through-route under the intersection it would make transiting north to south quick and painless while easing the amount of traffic actually going around the circle, making the intersection easier to navigate for everyone else. There is vacant land on either side of the intersection along University to allow this sort of descending ramp to be built while allowing the turn lanes as well.

#53 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:46 AM

Hmm... I never thought of that.

I guess, going south to north, start the tunnel before Lancaster and end after Wingate.

7fwPZnE.png

#54 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

This is fairly common in the UAE- they love their (overengineered) roundabouts over there.

Here's an example:

https://goo.gl/maps/PtfSzNR1af12

Note that's about double the size of what would fit at University & 7th.

#55 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

One improvement I would suggest to help traffic flow would be a tunnel under the roundabout for University Drive . There is vacant land on either side of the intersection along University to allow this sort of descending ramp to be built while allowing the turn lanes as well.

Oops! :eek:

So far, I am seeing a tunnel as a more  less practical solution than a roundabout. 

#56 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

One improvement I would suggest to help traffic flow would be a tunnel under the roundabout for University Drive . There is vacant land on either side of the intersection along University to allow this sort of descending ramp to be built while allowing the turn lanes as well.

So far, I am seeing a tunnel as a more practical solution than a roundabout.

Why not both...?

7fwPZnE.png

#57 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

Why not both...?

Having corrected my post#55 to indicate my actual preference, here are some reasons why I think the roundabout is the better of the the two options:

#1 - building a surface roundabout should be cheaper than tunneling;

#2 - implementation of a roundabout should be less disruptive than tunneling;

#3 - a roundabout improves traffic flow along all the arteries while tunneling does not;

#4 - a roundabout eliminates the need for signals; while again, tunneling does not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users