• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

Just browsing about this local UNION website recently. Very sad news to report.

What a shame.

www.musiciansdfw.org
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#2 edperc

edperc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:classical music, art, philosophy, eastern religion, biking, raquetball, gardening.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Sep 4 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a shame.

Clarify please.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

A shame that it has come to this and that the TBT , if found to be true, took these desperate and drastic measures behind the backs of so many hardworking musicians. Musicians who have stood by this organization for so many years.

I agree with Mr. Hair's description of what concert goers are paying for and should expect to receive. Some of the best that this local union has to offer.

It's a shame that this boycott came about, and nobody ever wants to see that ARTISTIC DIVISION, especially in the local scene. But it is NOW necessary. The damage and betrayal appears to have been done.

Wonder if the news media is getting a hold of this story. Figure with the primaries now over, there is no better news than what's going on in our own backyard.

www.iheartfw.com

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (edperc @ Sep 4 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (safly @ Sep 4 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a shame.

Clarify please.

No. smilewink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#5 edperc

edperc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:classical music, art, philosophy, eastern religion, biking, raquetball, gardening.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

Latest News:

http://www.star-tele...ory/882605.html

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

Nice gesture.

Great stance by Hair.
www.iheartfw.com

#7 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Didn't know where to put this, but another nice shout out to a Fort Worth institution by The New York Times:

Story on the 2 Strad violins in use by the FW Symphony

BTW, has anyone been in the new Arborlawn UMC? I drove by recently and the outside is spectacular. Now that's contemporary church structure that still looks like a church!

#8 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Very cool - I took a picture of a Strad in the Smithsonian in DC many years ago - the closest I've been to one of these magnificent instruments!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

Fort Worth Symphony musicians agree to contract extension through July 2016:

http://www.star-tele...le57418553.html

I suppose that news of symphony orchestras struggling with finances is not new, and there are certainly a lot of orchestras fighting for air in this region, but surely there are some innovative ways that the FWSO could generate revenue in order to finance a "growth plan",  including pay raises for musicians. Does anyone here have any informed insight into the organization? Is the management competent, are they hobbled by an inept board? Is the whole process just limited by an outdated financing morel, or are the leaders doing everything they can in the face of dwindling support from a wounded hydrocarbon extraction industry? Isn't the outdoors series in the Botanic Gardens a money-maker, and if yes, could this not be extended with a Pops Series (or something to that effect) at a new city amphitheater in Gateway Park? Is there any possibility that the symphony organization could work some sort of arrangement with the local film and recording industries, which by some reports seems to be growing if not yet healthy? More conventionally speaking, are the concerts full at Bass Hall? Is the pricing arrangement realistic and instrumental at attracting newer and younger ticket-buying patrons for the feature performances downtown? What am I leaving out, probably a lot...

#10 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

About 20 years ago my wife and I took an Art's appreciation class at TCU.  The final class session was at a theater where a really old Russian "silent" film shown on back drop screen concurrent with the FWSO played a real time symphony music .  There was also a scrolling translator 'English' subtitle board above the orchestra.  The black and white silent Russian movie was about 30 minutes. For us it was a unique enjoyable event.

I am thinking Star Wars, Superman, South Pacific  or Oklahoma themes.  

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#11 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

From speaking with a former FWSO employee, I've gleaned that there are two main problems:

-The current management is fairly inept and fosters a toxic work environment that has caused a good amount of turnover on the staff.

-A very large percentage of the symphony's funding comes from a very small group of aging donors.  These donors like things traditional, don't like the "pops" events that are held now and are not interested at all in anything more progressive.

#12 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Jimmy,  maybe its a matter of simple communications between age groupings.  

My wife and I are 73 years of age this year.   We like the arts... but are only willing to pay for class acts.

Would you consider explaining to us in your view "What are considered 'Pops events' or more progressive type events ?

On a broader scale, my biggest grip is American Airlines Facility advertising their new and upcoming events.....  never see on local TV  limited advertising about what Arts and symphony going on in Fort Worth !  

So we are to think... yes you guessed it lack ability of acquiring up and coming events or promotions for Casa, Symphony events or Bass Hall.

If we are going to pay for an event.. it has to be an event in our option worth going to that we can relate to...  

The paying public needs to be educated... help us understand the local Fort Worth events and why it benefits us....

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

So, they're having trouble paying their musicians, but you want them to advertise more?

I think it was in a FW Weekly article in the last couple of years that I read that one of the symphony's biggest financial issues is that they stink at raising money.

#14 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

Jimmy,  maybe its a matter of simple communications between age groupings.  

My wife and I are 73 years of age this year.   We like the arts... but are only willing to pay for class acts.

Would you consider explaining to us in your view "What are considered 'Pops events' or more progressive type events ?

A few of their pops events from recent years that come to mind are the night with Ben Folds and the various themed nights (Beatles, Star Wars, etc) at Concerts in the Garden.  An example of something progressive that could really help fill the coffers is the album that the San Francisco Symphony made with Metallica in the late 90s.  I was in high school when it came out, and it was probably the first time a lot of kids in my generation really connected with the music of a symphony.  It sold more than 8 million copies and won a Grammy.

#15 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

Thank you Jimmy

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

I may be in a (very small) minority, but I would enjoy an orchestral program of all Frank Zappa music.

PS Dweezil and the ZPZ band plays Grand Prairie next month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users