• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davejew01

davejew01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Ft. Worth/Dallas history. Urban exploration. Current affairs of our city.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Hello, I am new here to the forums so I hope I am posting in the right place. I live in south Ft.Worth between I35 and Hemphill street close to Texas steel. Well demolition has begun and nearly complete at the old cotton mill and grain silos in this area. My question is the history of this place. I remember it active as a child in the 80's but don't know when or why it shut down.
For some reason this place has always intrigued me and was just curious. Thanks

#2 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

I don't remember much about the Cotton Exchange, but there used to be a huge granary on the north edge of Trinity Park, easily visible from 7th Street or Lancaster when you hit the bridges over the river. I looked for it via Google Earth, and it seems to be gone now, so I can't tell where it was.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Owen, all of the area around the old grain elevator at the north edge of Trinity Park has now been redeveloped. The elevator sat on the west side of the tracks and Museum Way goes through the site of the old elevator. Part of it was located where the Art House is now located and the other part of the elevator was south of where Museum Way is currently located. As a guess, I would say the first set of townhomes on the south side of Museum Way were also built directly on top of the old grain elevator footprint.

#4 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (davejew01 @ Aug 24 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, I am new here to the forums so I hope I am posting in the right place. I live in south Ft.Worth between I35 and Hemphill street close to Texas steel. Well demolition has begun and nearly complete at the old cotton mill and grain silos in this area. My question is the history of this place. I remember it active as a child in the 80's but don't know when or why it shut down.

We lived on the south side, 1980-1990, and while we lived there the area smelled as if the main purpose of the silos was to feed the cotton seed mill. (Unless the wind was from the East, when we got flux smell from Texas Steel in the mix.) Sometimes the processed seeds smelled like oily, processed seeds (OK) ; and sometimes they smelled roasted, almost like tortilla chips (very OK) and sometimes they'd smell roasted-but-rancid and as as greasy as a bad fried chicken joint (not OK). We always wondered if they were processing cotton seeds in different ways or if they were processing different seeds.

#5 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

Oh, and I meant to ask, are we the only "Nose-Witnesses-to-History" on thr Forum? Meh, it's not worth starting an Olfactory History category. And it could get icky. ;wink;

#6 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Sep 10 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (davejew01 @ Aug 24 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We lived on the south side, 1980-1990, and while we lived there the area smelled as if the main purpose of the silos was to feed the cotton seed mill. (Unless the wind was from the East, when we got flux smell from Texas Steel in the mix.) Sometimes the processed seeds smelled like oily, processed seeds (OK) ; and sometimes they smelled roasted, almost like tortilla chips (very OK) and sometimes they'd smell roasted-but-rancid and as as greasy as a bad fried chicken joint (not OK). We always wondered if they were processing cotton seeds in different ways or if they were processing different seeds.

No. I remember the Mrs. Baird's Bakery by the I-30 (intersection not remembered). If you went by there at the right time of night--and we often did on returning home from concerts or downtown movies--you's get the heavenly aroma of bread baking.

#7 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

Yes! The bakery had a wonderful fragrance. And a Deco building.

#8 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

Owen,
I think you may be talking about the following silo.

The 1988 Tarrant County Historic Resources Survey shows this elevator as E.G. Rail Company Elevators built in 1914-15. The book shows the silos still up in 1988 so I dont know when they came down. From the picture you can tell that the location is just off of the new Museum Way area to the west of the railroad tracks. They were serviced by the SLSF RR but the T&P RR had a spur that came in just near here so maybe they hand in it also.

John Briggs
FTW

#9 amanda

amanda

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:38 AM

I remember the smell around the silos off of Hemphill in the early 90's. I had a friend that lived near there, it smelled like burnt hair to me, yuck!

Here is an interesting photographic essay of some one's urban exploration of the abandoned cotton mill:

http://www.texplorat.../cottonmill.htm

#10 davejew01

davejew01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Ft. Worth/Dallas history. Urban exploration. Current affairs of our city.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

I appreciate the responses. They have since demolished most of the complex. Sad to see, but the place was infested with danger, grafitti and whatnot. I did read the article on the texploration website and found that to be helpful. I remember as a kid seeing it soooo busy with trains, and traffic.I have no idea what will replace it, no doubt a shopping center, or there has even been rumors of a gas well going up. Time will tell. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users