12 replies to this topic

#1 101Partner

101Partner

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

On a visit to the larger city to our east not long ago, I had occasion to tell my colleague about Greater Southwest International Airport and the tunnel that remained for so long after the construction of DFW. It started me to thinking about when that tunnel was removed, and much to my irritation, I could not find a date. Anyone here remember?

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

I remember driving through it in the early to mid-80s. It seems like I remember the tunnel being gone when my family went to the airport to leave for a trip in the summer of 1987, but I can't be 100% sure of that. If you can find out when the 183/360 interchange was constructed (I tried and failed), then you should get a pretty good idea.

#3 Cranky Greg

Cranky Greg

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

I remember that tunnel very well. I am not sure of the exact date of its destruction, but I am almost sure it was before 1980. Part of the deal with DFW Airport was that Fort Worth would tear up its airport, which it did. The tunnel was under a runway. You might check out this thread.

Also, check out this website - TexasFreeway.com

I'm almost certain that the 360/183 Interchange was completed 1981. The tunnel was definitely gone in the 1980's.

#4 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

the complete history of the old Amon Carter airport can be found on Google "Fort Worth area airports", then scroll down to "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields-Texas Northeast Fort Worth". It is in depth and should answer any questions you have. Also lots of photographs. I took a trip to New York on an American Airlines DC-6 out of there in the Fall of 1953 shortly after the airport opened.

#5 101Partner

101Partner

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Jul 31 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the complete history of the old Amon Carter airport can be found on Google "Fort Worth area airports", then scroll down to "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields-Texas Northeast Fort Worth". It is in depth and should answer any questions you have. Also lots of photographs. I took a trip to New York on an American Airlines DC-6 out of there in the Fall of 1953 shortly after the airport opened.

I've been to tat site and agree it is most comprehensive. Beautiful pictures, old and new. But the only reference I found to the "tunnel" was in the form of an uncertain recollection:
"The old highway tunnel which used to pass under Runway 17/35 was not
demolished until 1989 or 1991 (can't remember exactly, but it was one of
the 2 summers that I was home from college).

My recollection of the tunnel also dates to the early 90's, but I still have not seen a declarative date.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

I first remember the tunnel from very infrequent trips to Dallas back in the 1960's. We kids in the back of the station wagon would be egged on by my dad who would start to talk about the tunnel about 10 minutes before we would get to it, and get us all worked up so we were screaming for him to honk as we appreoached it. Of course he said he wouldn't, citing several diferent reasons it would be inappropriate. But he inevitably gave into the majority opinion and would blast away on the car horn all the way through the tunnel, all 7 or 8 seconds of it. I remember the way to and past the tunnel on SH-183 was farmland, very few buildings other than farmhouses were visible from the road. We usually took the turnpike to get to Dallas, so these trips were quite exotic for a 8 or 9 year-old. I guess the GSW Airport (Carter Field) was closed by then, since some of the trips wereot take relatives to Love Field. Anyone remember the Braniff monorail?

#7 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

Wow I had long forgotten about the tunnel. Speaking of Braniff on a recent trip on the shuttle bus in another city the driver asked what terminal and I said Braniff and the driver did not get it, so another guy says to let him off at Eastern Airlines. So many over the years and sad to say we may be looking at more airline losses.
Mike

#8 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

You mean this tunnel? :-D

There's more about its history over at dfwfreeways.info.

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jul 31 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great site, it states that the 183 tunnel was built in 1964 and demolished in 1988.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (101Partner @ Jul 29 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a visit to the larger city to our east not long ago, I had occasion to tell my colleague about Greater Southwest International Airport and the tunnel that remained for so long after the construction of DFW. It started me to thinking about when that tunnel was removed, and much to my irritation, I could not find a date. Anyone here remember?

Gosh, I remember that tunnel quite well! My sister used to call it "The Snake." As we would drive into it, it felt like we were heading into the mouth of a huge, long reptile. Not once did I ever see all of the interior lights working; well over half of them always seemed to be turned off, burnt out, and/or full of dead bugs. It was an incredibly long tunnel.

I live not far from the site of that tunnel and I think the reason for its existence was because one of the runways for the old Great Southwest Airport crossed over Hwy 183. That airport has since been demolished and very few traces of it remain. Part of an old taxiway or runway still exists, as the northern tail end of Amon Carter Blvd. Once it crosses Hwy 183, it's blocked off and you can see buses parked on it, with grass growing up between the cracks. I think there's a big yellow "X" painted on the end of it, which tells pilots "Don't try to land here!"

If you look very closely from an airliner's window seat as you take off from DFW Airport toward the south, you may still be able to see the different shades of grass that still show the outlines of where the old runways of GSA were. The main entrance to GSA featured a semicircle of trees that were planted there, and those trees are still there today. People who see them but are unfamiliar with their source may wonder what incredible coincidence of nature made those trees grow in a perfect semicircle out in the middle of a field.

#11 101Partner

101Partner

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Jul 31 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jul 31 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great site, it states that the 183 tunnel was built in 1964 and demolished in 1988.

The newspaper article dated May 1988 seals the deal for me. My memory is proven wrong yet again.

#12 The Haltom City Kid

The Haltom City Kid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:History, Music, Cooking, Politics

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Jul 31 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I first remember the tunnel from very infrequent trips to Dallas back in the 1960's. We kids in the back of the station wagon would be egged on by my dad who would start to talk about the tunnel about 10 minutes before we would get to it, and get us all worked up so we were screaming for him to honk as we appreoached it. Of course he said he wouldn't, citing several diferent reasons it would be inappropriate. But he inevitably gave into the majority opinion and would blast away on the car horn all the way through the tunnel, all 7 or 8 seconds of it. I remember the way to and past the tunnel on SH-183 was farmland, very few buildings other than farmhouses were visible from the road. We usually took the turnpike to get to Dallas, so these trips were quite exotic for a 8 or 9 year-old. I guess the GSW Airport (Carter Field) was closed by then, since some of the trips wereot take relatives to Love Field. Anyone remember the Braniff monorail?

We had the same routine of our dad honking the horn as we passed through the tunnel, it makes me wonder how many others did the same and why. It's funny, the little things that make kids happy.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however, billions of electrons were temporarily disturbed.

#13 LocalYokel

LocalYokel

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:46 PM

I checked it out on Google maps and on the satellite view if you look at the southwest end of DFW airport by 183you can clearly see the old runway structures previously mentioned. However I do not know the significance of the "@" symbol that shows up in the grassy area.

I have a copy of the satellite view saved as a jpeg but don't know to embed it here....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users