• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

Assorted postcard views of Lake Erie / Handley Park, ca 1905-1920, recovered from the fortworthhistory board:

Lake Erie was stream fed and horseshoe shaped. The pavilion was in the center of the horseshoe, and the powerplant and Interurban depot and tracks to the north of the lake.

There were two bridges. One led south from the depot to the pavilion and the other from the pavilion to the boathouses.

Lake Erie was drained when Lake Arlington was built but the lake bed is above the Arlington waterline and still evident.

The powerplat evolved into the present TXU facility.

M C Toyer

#2 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

MC Toyer, thanks a mil! I collect postcards and I live in Handley--I wish I had the originals.
Every October there is a teeny-weeny street festival in Handley where you can see historic pix and postcards, tour the caboose, visit the tempting greyhound rescue gazebo, see classic cars, ogle the old downtown main drag (a must for petrified wood veneer fans), and have roast corn that's miles better than the Main St. vendor's roast corn. (If you're near the east side or have a car that gets good mileage check it out. Faint praise? Well, it is teeny-weeny.)

#3 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Jul 24 2008, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every October there is a teeny-weeny street festival in Handley

Thanks for the tip - will try to make it. I live in Pilot Point in north Denton County but get down that way about once a month.

Since you're a local I've got a couple of questions.

There are two "Handley" Cemeteries. The closest one is right in front of the TXU plant. The other, which is also known as "Handley Hill" and/or "Ebenezer Cemetery" is located on the west end of Lake Arlington Dam. It can be seen from Spur 303 but the only access, via the old Lake Arlington Dam Road, is blocked and/or posted. From what I can see from the highway it appears there has been some recent activity there (new/repaired fence, flagpole, tabernacle). Do you know who to contact for access?

Do you know anything about Buckskin Joe Works? He actually lived in Edervile just north of Handley and died about 1923. He was the postmaster of Ederville about 1890, coming there from Indian Territory where he led quite an interesting life after his Civil War service.

I do have a photo of Joe and one of his Ederville home, which I assume is long gone. He and his wife and some children are buried in the Isham Cemetery.

M C

#4 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

Couldn't resist attaching this pic of the Handley Power Plant. I also have a few old time post cards. Not sure if I have any not already posted here.

This photo was taken on Sunday afternoon with my new lens. 400mm plus 2X all times 1.6 as it is a 24mm format camera (Canon Rebel XSi) so 1280mm worth on a pretty sturdy tripod. Taken from my balcony on 34 of the Tower.

www.fortworthview.com

#5 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Jul 24 2008, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MC Toyer, thanks a mil! I collect postcards and I live in Handley--I wish I had the originals.
Every October there is a teeny-weeny street festival in Handley where you can see historic pix and postcards, tour the caboose, visit the tempting greyhound rescue gazebo, see classic cars, ogle the old downtown main drag (a must for petrified wood veneer fans), and have roast corn that's miles better than the Main St. vendor's roast corn. (If you're near the east side or have a car that gets good mileage check it out. Faint praise? Well, it is teeny-weeny.)

Have you seen the sign on the southeast corner of Lancaster/Handley about a railroad museum coming?It is where the caboose is currently sitting(it has been moved around a lot recently)?I hope the land across Handley is saved for some TOD in the future.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#6 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

Historic Aerials now has images of Tarrant County in 1956, before the impoundment of Lake Arlington. Using the "swipe" feature to compare years, you can see what must have been Lake Erie (or what was left of it in the 50's) by the power plant.

#7 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (801hme @ Jul 24 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Historic Aerials now has images of Tarrant County in 1956, before the impoundment of Lake Arlington. Using the "swipe" feature to compare years, you can see what must have been Lake Erie (or what was left of it in the 50's) by the power plant.

That does present a good view of Lake Erie. I tend to beleive the dam may have been augmented by then raising the water level and partially covering the point where the pavillion was located. I also believe the northern arm of the lake had been filled in and the stream that fed it had been diverted into a channel that ran almost due south to where the other stream entered the lake. That channel still exists on the west side of the present power plant.

I can't tell what the two rectangular structures with round shapes in the filled area were - <could they have been fuel storage tanks? Were the TESCO generators oil fired in the fifties?> edit: They were cooling towers.

There is a grid structure in the upper right corner of the lake and what appears to be a causeway - could those be floating boat slips? I do not know to what extent and/or how long the lake was used for recreation after the Interurban ceased operations. The original boat dock shown in the post card views was southwest of the pavillion.

You can also make out quite a bit of the NTTC track bed and cut from where it turned southeast from Lancaster, crossed under Old Handley Road and the Texas and Pacific, then turned back easterly. There is a long building about where the Interurban Station passenger shed was located but I do not know if that is a remnant of it.

M C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users