12 replies to this topic

#1 SDiver

SDiver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

I picked up a postcard a few months ago (which I can't locate right now - arghh) with an image of the Fort Worth Narcotics Hosp. There are a number of references to it online, but no address. Does anyone know where the facility was located?

From NARA: "Opened as the Fort Worth Narcotics Hospital, October 28, 1938, pursuant to the Narcotic Farms Act (45 Stat. 1085), January 19, 1929, as one of two narcotics treatment facilities (the other was at Lexington, KY) under the Narcotics Division, Office of the Surgeon General, PHS, for addicted federal prisoners. Began accepting neuropsychiatric patients, 1942. Placed under NIMH, 1967, and designated a clinical research center. Closed, with facility transferred to Bureau of Prisons, Department of Justice, 1971."

Suzie

#2 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (SDiver @ Jul 18 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up a postcard a few months ago (which I can't locate right now - arghh) with an image of the Fort Worth Narcotics Hosp. There are a number of references to it online, but no address. Does anyone know where the facility was located?

It is now the Federal Medical Center (prison) southwest of Mansfield Highway and Wichita Street in the Forest Hill area northeast of the South Campus of Tarrant County Junior College.

There was some discussion on the FortWorthHistory.Com/Forum a couple fo years agp but that board is not managed and has been heavily spammed. The thread and others are still there.

M C

#3 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

Welcome, Sdriver.
I collect old postcards and would love to find one of the "Narcotics Farm,'' as I have heard it called. Hope you locate the card.
Was Peter Lorre ever treated there?

#4 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

Here is a scan of my postcard captioned U S Public Health Service Hospital. I have seen but do not have a similar view captioned U S Narcotics Hospital

Here is a comparable recent aerial photo view.

M C

#5 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Wow! It hasn't changed much at all.

#6 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

It's still in operation. That's usually where the high profile Fed prisoners now go. A bunch of mobsters were there in the 80's.

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Wow, if the Feds ever decide to "downsize" the prison system that complex looks like it would make a great candidate for the site of the "University of Fort Worth" main campus. The location has a quadrangle in place, dormitory rooms, plenty of room for expansion, some sports facilities, fine campus security in-place, easy access to I-20 and the potential for a transit station on the tracks to the NE, and proximity to TCC-SC (shared facilities, adjunct faculty, etc.) and the state school (learning lab/intern opportunities for a school of education/social work - too bad UTA already excels in those areas) tongue.gif

#8 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

I had a friend who worked there as an orderly back in the mid to late 60's. He called it the Narc farm. I have not checked lately as to the whereabouts of the past Gov. of Louisiana Edwin Edwards but I think he was a "guest" of the prison.
Mike

#9 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Gov. Edwards of Louisiana was at the Fort Worth prison from 2002-2004 and is now at Oakdale prison in Louisiana. Jim McDougal of the Clinton "White Water scandal died at the facilty after suffering a heart attack.
Mike

#10 SDiver

SDiver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the images! That one is the same as my postcard (which I still haven't found), but I'm sure mine says Narcotics Hosp.

#11 SDiver

SDiver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

I don't know if this will work, but this should be a scan of my pc that says U.S. Narcotic Hospital, Fort Worth, Texas. It used the same image as the one MCTroyer posted.

On the reverse: "Located on a 1400 acre site with more than 50 buildings, the hospital represents an expenditure of $4,500,000. Designed for treatment of narcotic addicts and study of narcotic addiction."

#12 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

According to the Federeal Bureau of Prisons, this is now the Federal Corrections Institution (FCI) Fort Worth, a minimum security prison for males. I have been in that facility many times in the late 50s and early 60s when it was still a Narcotics Hospital. My grandfather was a mechanic there and when I would accompany my grandmother to pick him up after work, he would let us in the garage area to see and play on the fire engine (yes, we were young). Security was minimal then and I believe the inmates were restricted to their buildings or special outside exercise areas. Our safety never seemed an issue. I attended his retirement dinner in the cafeteria in '61 and even got to meet some of the inmates that he worked with in the garage. Can you imagine that happening today?

#13 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Here is a scan of my postcard captioned U S Public Health Service Hospital. I have seen but do not have a similar view captioned U S Narcotics Hospital

PSHFW.jpg

Here is a comparable recent aerial photo view.

PSHFWA.jpg

M C

Back in the early 80s, FCI, Fort Worth was a minimum security co-ed facility. It was like a college campus and the inmates were wearing civilian clothes. Some of the inmates were taking classes at TCJC. The prison commissary was like a 7-11 store and was always busy. Quite a few pregnancies occurred there during this era. The mission was changed a few years later as the women were transferred to Federal Prison Camp in Danbury, CT. Without the women being there, the sales in the commissary dropped dramatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users