8 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

I hope I have posted in the correct forum, and I am shooting in the blind here.

I am a former performing member of the Chuck Wagon Gang, and am presently employed as Marketing Director, and live in Nashville, TN.

We are now in our 72nd year of music. The group began briefly as The Carter Quartet (no relation to the famous Carter Family) on WBAP in 1936. There was a male western group on the station by the name Chuck Wagon Gang, and they were sponsored by Bewley Mills Flour. The executives at WBAP decided there should be two "Chuck Wagon Gang's", one for the radio, and the other going out on location serving biscuits made with Bewley Mills Flour. The Carter Quartet instantly became the Chuck Wagon Gang performing western songs and one gospel song each day. I don't know how long this arrangement with two groups lasted, but eventually the western Chuck Wagon Gang band disolved or something and we, as The Chuck Wagon Gang, switched to all Gospel, and have been recording and doing personal appearances ever since. Of course all of the original members are deceased now.

We are preparing a documentary on our musical history, to be released on our 75th anniversary in a few years. The CWG was on WBAP for the most part from 1936 to 1950-51, of course interrupted by the war. I understand the station was at the Blackstone Hotel, and Ft. Worth Star Telegram for many of those years. They recorded for Columbia Records, and many of those recordings were made at the WBAP studio at the Blackstone.

We are looking for photos of the era, including WBAP, Bewley Mills Buildings, and Blackstone Hotel, Chuck Wagon Gang...pictures and articles, newspaper clippings, radio transcriptions, home-made recordings...just about anything historical relating to the Chuck Wagon Gang. We do not need official publicity pictures or recordings. We have all of those.

We will be interviewing decendants of the original group in the Ft. Worth area July 18-23. We are looking for people to interview who may have been on the "inside" during the time, or even fans who tuned in to those radio shows everyday. We are also looking for decendants of Bewley Mills (as old as possible) for interview.

If any of you "Forth Worthians" are able to help, I'd appreciate hearing from you. My contact info is below. Thank you.

--
Harold Timmons
Marketing Director
The Chuck Wagon Gang
PO Box 140416
Nashville, TN 37214-0416
chuckwagongang@comcast.net
Telephone 888-319-1021
Fax 615-316-0990
Chuck Wagon Gang Website: www.thechuckwagongang.net
Chuck Wagon Gang Discussion Boards: www.chuckwagongangblog.com

#2 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

It has been over a year since I posted the original post. Does anyone on this form have any recollection of the Bewley's Chuck Wagon Gang shows on WBAP. Do any of you know the original members, have pictures of the era, home made recordings or any memorabilia?

Thanks.
Harold Timmons
The Chuck Wagon Gang

#3 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hi, Harold. I don't know how much help I can be, as I'm not familiar with the people and events you've so richly described, but I thought at least one person from the forum should try.

As I've been reading your posts, I found the following website:

Fort Worth Timeship

There's what looks to be a "period" advertisement for Bewley Mills Flour, which you might like to see. Perhaps the blog's author may be able to help you further. Also, I would highly recommend a visit to the Fort Worth Public Library, as they have an archive of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram available for viewing and copying. The Fort Worth Historical Society should also be of help in your quest.

Good luck in your endeavor, Harold.

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#4 hi-flyer

hi-flyer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Chuck Wagon Gang @ Dec 21 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been over a year since I posted the original post. Does anyone on this form have any recollection of the Bewley's Chuck Wagon Gang shows on WBAP. Do any of you know the original members, have pictures of the era, home made recordings or any memorabilia?

Thanks.
Harold Timmons
The Chuck Wagon Gang

Hi Harold. My name is Angie. I think I can help you with your research. My grandfather was an original Texas Hi-Flyer. My mother worked at the Texas Hotel and my dad was working at the Blackstone when thet met and married. My uncle Jack played with the Chuck Wagon Gang and with some bisquet sponsered band at the Blackstone where the radio station was located. Probably have lots of info and pics for you. I am 52 and my parents are alive and well. please let me know if I can help. Hope I am not too late. I always thought it would make a great story.

Your friend,
Angie
Hi-Flyer

#5 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (hi-flyer @ Feb 18 2010, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chuck Wagon Gang @ Dec 21 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.
Harold Timmons
The Chuck Wagon Gang

Hi Harold. My name is Angie. I think I can help you with your research. My grandfather was an original Texas Hi-Flyer. My mother worked at the Texas Hotel and my dad was working at the Blackstone when thet met and married. My uncle Jack played with the Chuck Wagon Gang and with some bisquet sponsered band at the Blackstone where the radio station was located. Probably have lots of info and pics for you. I am 52 and my parents are alive and well. please let me know if I can help. Hope I am not too late. I always thought it would make a great story.

Your friend,
Angie
Hi-Flyer

Hi Angie, Thank you for your reply. Think maybe you might be the person who called me a few months back, and I could not talk then. If so, I took your number down incorrectly and never could reach you. My number is 888-319-1021 or you can send me your number and I'll call you.

#6 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

Still looking for anything Chuck Wagon Gang, Blackstone Hotel, WBAP, Bewley Mills

Harold Timmons
Chuck Wagon Gang
817-944-2538
chuckwagongang@comcast.net

Thank you.

#7 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Still looking for anything Chuck Wagon Gang, Blackstone Hotel, WBAP, Bewley Mills

Someone called me a few days ago. His father was an original member of the all male Chuck Wagon Gang in the mid-30's. I could not take the call at the time, and told him I would call him back. Unfortunately, I lost his number. Sir, if you are reading this would you call me again 817-944-2538 or email me chuckwagongang@comcast.net, Thanks.

#8 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

<!--quoteo(post=58898:date=Dec 21 2009, 08:04 PM:name=Chuck Wagon Gang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chuck Wagon Gang @ Dec 21 2009, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=58898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been over a year since I posted the original post. Does anyone on this form have any recollection of the Bewley's Chuck Wagon Gang shows on WBAP. Do any of you know the original members, have pictures of the era, home made recordings or any memorabilia?

Thanks.
Harold Timmons
The Chuck Wagon Gang<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your friend,
Angie
Hi-Flyer

Angie I have been trying to reach you. Please call me 817-944-2538 or email me chuckwagongang@comcast.net

#9 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I remember WBAP broadcasting from their studios on the top floor of the Medical Arts Building just west of Burk Burnett Park. Could it be that the Blackstone was a remote?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users