"Nicks" Famous Hamburgers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Photography for around 46 years. Love to travel Route 66.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

The following photos were taken by Claud Lee Smith in May 1986.
Permission for use given for publication in this forum.
These photos are in the collection of Les Crocker.
"The Photo Archive of the Universe"

The actual name was Famous Hamburgers,
however every time I ate there I would say
"Hey, let's go get a hamburger at "Nicks",
So take your choice; "Nicks" or "Famous Hamburgers".

It was run by Nick "the Greek" Koutsoubos.

The place had no air conditioning, no phone and
no water heater, it had a gas burner under a sink
for hot water. In the 30's It was a favorite spot to
eat while waiting for the interburban to Cleburne or Dallas.

At one time hamburgers sold for 5 cents each
or six for a quarter.

It was a simple layout inside, twelve red naugahide barstools,
two celing fans,a Rockola minature console juke box,
soda pop box,the money box Nick used was a womans handbag.
Hours were 11am till5:30pm.

The food stand was opened in 1921 by George Koutsoubos
and Gus Voites. When first opened it was called G&G Hamburgers.
The first building was wooden. It became Famous Hamburgers
sometime during the 30's.

Closed May 1986.
"The best investment in life is memories"
www.tchj.com

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for posting these old photographs. It is nice to remember how the corner once looked.

#3 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

WOW!

Who could've known the history of this place when it was in business? I'm thankful for Mr. Smith for taking these snapshots of another Fort Worth memory, and thank you txrdside for posting these. It may be gone, but it's not forgotten.

By the way, I wrote about my personal memories of Nicks Famous Hamburgers today in the "Some gone downtown eateries" thread. I'll repost it here if anyone wants to read it.

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#4 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thankxz-- very great pix of the lost.
I'm always baffled when small buildings are demolished. What do you gain--parking for 8 cars? The demolition of the Turner & Dingees building comes to mind. That was so very old and so small. (We thought it was so small and historic that it was not endangered. )

#5 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Jun 25 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!

Who could've known the history of this place when it was in business? I'm thankful for Mr. Smith for taking these snapshots of another Fort Worth memory, and thank you txrdside for posting these. It may be gone, but it's not forgotten.

By the way, I wrote about my personal memories of Nicks Famous Hamburgers today in the "Some gone downtown eateries" thread. I'll repost it here if anyone wants to read it.

--Saginaw

Hi Saginaw, when I read your post about "some gone downtown eateries" you didn't name "Nicks" but I imediately recognized the aroma of cooking hamburgers and coney dogs. I can still smell them when I get close to the building where the stand was, or perhaps it is just in my mind, anyway, Please repost your thread.
www.tchj.com

#6 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

I sure will, txrdside, and thank you.

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Jun 25 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know everyone's pretty much moved on from this topic, but I had to chime in my memory of the ol' hamburger stand that was on Main and 1st Streets.

I can remember my (much) older brother taking me there a few times many years ago (back in the late '70s up until the mid '80s), and he claimed that the stand made the best Coney Islands in Fort Worth. My most vivid memory of the stand was from one of those trips. It was wintertime, and the air was biting cold. Any slight breeze would make you hunker down even more in your coat and muffler, and the skies were a steel grey, but it seemed like the only sign of life in the area was around that hamburger stand.

I can still smell the aroma of the piping hot chili, melted cheese, and onions that was generously slathered onto the Coney Islands, and I remember seeing the wafts of steam that would float away with the cold breeze. Every time a really good Blue Norther blows in from way up north (namely Amarillo!), I get a hankerin' for a chili cheese dog with onions. It's the memory I take from that now closed down hamburger stand.

And I miss it.

I can't wait until the next cold front arrives. cheeburga.gif

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#7 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Jun 26 2008, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankxz-- very great pix of the lost.
I'm always baffled when small buildings are demolished. What do you gain--parking for 8 cars? The demolition of the Turner & Dingees building comes to mind. That was so very old and so small. (We thought it was so small and historic that it was not endangered. )

Hi 'Birdland in Handley', thought you might like to see an old Ad of Turner & Dingee from the 1916 Fort Worth Star-Telegram. I remember driving by the store many times and I think I went in once way back in 1960. A neat store, hated to see it turned into a parking lot. I wonder if Sweet Midgets are still being sold? I love Handley, lived there for about 10 years.

www.tchj.com

#8 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

Great local history scan. beyond the migets, what about the stuffed mangoes? Desi in turn of that century?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users