Foremost Dairy in Fort Worth

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I've just become a new member here, and I want to thank the moderators for accepting me. smile.gif

Would anyone here remember the old Foremost Dairy building that was located just south of downtown and east of S. Main St.? I had a relative that lived on Cleveland Ave., and I can remember as a child in the late '60s-early '70s seeing that prominent "F" logo sign atop the structure from their street, especially at night when it was lit up with neon. It's an image from my childhood that I'll always remember. I'd like to know if anyone else has some information on it, such as how long was Foremost in business here in Fort Worth, how long did the building stand, and when was it torn down?

Thank you, and I look forward to meeting the rest of the Fort Worthians here and abroad! biggrin.gif

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Great! Our first Cherokee!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (safly @ May 1 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! Our first Cherokee!

If you remember television before infomercials ruled (and ruined) the nighttime airwaves, then you'll immediately recognize my icon. wink.gif

--Saginaw

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

I don't know if we are on the same BIG CHIEF TABLET page here or not???

REDMAN chew?

(Actually, it kind of looks like an elaborate tat on someones shoulder. Sweet!)

What era are we talkin about ?

Dying here.

I'm leaving a big trail of tears over this frustrating riddle.
www.iheartfw.com

#5 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (safly @ May 2 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if we are on the same BIG CHIEF TABLET page here or not???

REDMAN chew?

(Actually, it kind of looks like an elaborate tat on someones shoulder. Sweet!)

What era are we talkin about ?

Dying here.

I'm leaving a big trail of tears over this frustrating riddle.

Think about it, safly. It can be in the 1950s, the 1960s, or the 1970s. It's the middle of the night, and you've fallen asleep in front of your television. Programming is over for the day and you go and turn off your tv....

Ring a bell? conf.gif

I promise that if you can't figure it out, I'll tell you. happy.gif

--Saginaw

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

I guess I am not qualified to take this one. I was not allowed to watch latenight TV until the mid eighties ( I was like 10) .

By then, our rental store style VCR and rental VHS tapes had already taken over our family date. One 80's hit at a time.

Stop littering crying Chief guy??? unsure.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#7 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

OK, OK. I guess you had to be there.

Up until around the mid to late '70s, television stations used to go off the air around midnight or 1 A.M. Their programming day would finish with the National Anthem (with images of bald eagles flying above a prairie, Mount Rushmore, or whatever was patriotic), and then the television test pattern, accompanied by an oscillation tone. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

test pattern

And here is what the actual test pattern looked like:

It was something that most of us over 40 remember fondly.

Wow. How did ever get off the subject here? blink.gif

--Saginaw

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

Keep stayin tune to the FORUM here and you will notice that yours truly gets waaaay off the subject.
www.iheartfw.com

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

Years ago, KXAS-TV (Channel 5) did one of their excellent anniversary programs and it contained an interview with singer Pat Boone. He used to appear on live TV there back in the '50s, doing commercials for Foremost Dairies. He was going to whatever-the-University-of-North-Texas-was-called-back-then in Denton, was married, and had a baby to feed. He said he never got paid very much for the TV commercials, but the bonus was he got to keep all of the Foremost dairy products (milk & ice cream) used in them. "I'd pack it all in the trunk of my car and zoom back to Denton before it spoiled," he laughed.

Recently a friend and I were joking about that mysterious late-night TV program that all the stations showed beginning around midnight each night, during the 1970s. It was called "Sign Off," and at that age I was never able to stay awake long enough to find out what it was. "It was some boring program about Indians," he said. smile.gif

#10 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

I remember that pattern on T.V. and the playing of the National Anthem and the no more t.v. until it came back on in the morning! Now we hav hundreds of channels on 24/7 and I can't find anything to watch. How did we ever make it with only channel 4,5,8,11 and if luckey you could messed with the rabbit ears and get UHF !
Mike

#11 travelbear

travelbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

Back on topic, the old Foremost Dairy was at about 200 E. Magnolia just east of S. Main St. In its day it was a pretty big operation. I believe it shut down in the late 80's or early 90's. After a few years of scrap crews, recyclers, theives and hobos, the remaining buildings were bulldozed.

If you have been on Cleveland St lately there are only about two houses left there.

#12 lonnzer

lonnzer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

I remember very well the Foremost Dairy building... it was on S. Calhoun just south of Vickery. My grandfather was the credit manager there for years until his retirement. He took my sister and me there and the interior was more like art deco. When a new addition was built to make the ice cream, he took us through it and showed us how the ice cream was made. I can remember all the neopiltan ice cream bars he'd give us. We couldn't even say Bordens or Vandervoort in my family.

#13 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

Thanks, lonnzer and travelbear.

travelbear, I believe that Cleveland Ave. is closed off now, and has become private property, much like S. Jennings Ave. is near W. Berry St.

lonnzer, thank you very much for your personal recollection! I never did know exactly where the Foremost Dairy building was, but I remembered it wasn't far from S. Main St. and Cleveland Ave. Art deco? Fascinating! Is there anything else you remember about the building, if you don't mind?

--Saginaw

#14 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Just a bit more history on Foremost. The original creamery was built by Shaw Bros Dairy. They had also dairy cattle and Shaw family house on and around site of George C Clark elem school at Henderson and Shaw streets. as well as near Katy Lake (La Grqan Plaza) and 2 other sites. In about 1928 they sold to a company named Dairyland who then were bought out by Foremost in maybe 30's or 40's.

My grandfather was one of the Shaw brothers who had moved to FW in 1889 with their mother shortly after her husband had died in Montgomery IN. Am working on a history of the family and business with some relatives and will post interesting tidbits as they emerge. Posted a photo from about 1920 of the building about 3 years ago.

The creamery located east of Main on Magnolia was Oak Farms.

#15 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

I remember it as Daikryland in the 40s.

There was an ice house across the street.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users