Walter Jetton's Barbeque

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Photography for around 46 years. Love to travel Route 66.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Anyone remember Walter Jeton's Barbeque? He started in a little hole in the wall place in the back of a grocery store on Terrell street now gobbled up by Harris Hospital. In 1959 my buddies and I would sneak out for lunch from Tech High and drive several blocks and we could buy five chopped bar-b-q sandwiches for a buck. You could smell that barbeque for blocks.
Walter Jeton's Barbeque Sauce: 1 cup tomato ketchup, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar,1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cup water, 3 stalks choped celery, 3 bay leaves, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped onion, 4 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 dash black pepper.....Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, Simmer about 15 minutes, strain. Recipe by Walter Jeton.
Right behind the grocery store (can't remember the name) was Mrs Bairds day old store where you could buy bread and cakes for discount prices. Does anyone remember the Mrs Bairds Devil Dog? I think they cost 5 cents fresh and at the day old store they were 2 for 5 cents.
Some interesting facts about Walter Jeton: "Walter Jeton is perhaps the most influental pit boss in Texas barbecu history, once holding the record for feeding 12,000 people at a single event. Walter Jeton was pitmaster and BBQ caterer to President Johnson in the 60's at the LBJ Ranch.
"The best investment in life is memories"
www.tchj.com

#2 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

I notice that they are opening a Jetton's something-or-other -- BBQ? -- in the strip center next to Chick-Fil-A by Central Market on Hulen. This is in the old Burger Junction space. Anybody know what connection this may have with old Jetton's?

#3 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (txrdside @ Mar 28 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone remember Walter Jeton's Barbeque? He started in a little hole in the wall place in the back of a grocery store on Terrell street now gobbled up by Harris Hospital. In 1959 my buddies and I would sneak out for lunch from Tech High and drive several blocks and we could buy five chopped bar-b-q sandwiches for a buck. You could smell that barbeque for blocks.
Walter Jeton's Barbeque Sauce: 1 cup tomato ketchup, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar,1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cup water, 3 stalks choped celery, 3 bay leaves, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped onion, 4 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 dash black pepper.....Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, Simmer about 15 minutes, strain. Recipe by Walter Jeton.
Right behind the grocery store (can't remember the name) was Mrs Bairds day old store where you could buy bread and cakes for discount prices. Does anyone remember the Mrs Bairds Devil Dog? I think they cost 5 cents fresh and at the day old store they were 2 for 5 cents.
Some interesting facts about Walter Jeton: "Walter Jeton is perhaps the most influental pit boss in Texas barbecu history, once holding the record for feeding 12,000 people at a single event. Walter Jeton was pitmaster and BBQ caterer to President Johnson in the 60's at the LBJ Ranch.

I have only just joined this forum, so I am about 6 months late with this reply; I remember Walter Jettons well...I worked there in 1959 and 1960. I lived on 7th ave. a block and a half from there when I was growing up. Bar-b-que eateries from all over town would buy Mr. Walters' sauce to use in their own places. Mr. Walter was very demanding....he insisted on giving the customer the best for the best price, year after year. If something came out not to his standards, there would be hell to pay. Everyone loved him and the place was staffed with loyal long-timers who were almost like a family.

#4 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (sonny 2 @ Sep 19 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (txrdside @ Mar 28 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have only just joined this forum, so I am about 6 months late with this reply; I remember Walter Jettons well...I worked there in 1959 and 1960. I lived on 7th ave. a block and a half from there when I was growing up. Bar-b-que eateries from all over town would buy Mr. Walters' sauce to use in their own places. Mr. Walter was very demanding....he insisted on giving the customer the best for the best price, year after year. If something came out not to his standards, there would be hell to pay. Everyone loved him and the place was staffed with loyal long-timers who were almost like a family.

Didn't he used to be in Mr. Tillery's store???? Best BQ, Colonial really messed that up.....

#5 Eric_T

Eric_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (txrdside @ Mar 28 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember Jetton's very well and those chopped beef sandwiches were still 5 for a dollar in the 1960's.

My dad was an elementary school principal, (Stephen F. Austin and Alexander Hogg), in that general area and would occasionally bring Jetton's BBQ sandwiches home for supper. We ate them more often when he spent a over a year in Harris Hospital.

#6 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

I remember going to a Jetton's in, I think, the late '60s and early '70s, but it was off University Dr. a little. (opposite the zoo, but waaay back) As I recall it was tucked off by itself, and was not your usual tiny barbecue place...it was really nice and big. We'd stop by after church (at the old Mathews Memorial Methodist at the corner of Berry and McCart) and pick up BBQ chicken to take home. Good stuff!

#7 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Mark S @ Nov 21 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember going to a Jetton's in, I think, the late '60s and early '70s, but it was off University Dr. a little. (opposite the zoo, but waaay back) As I recall it was tucked off by itself, and was not your usual tiny barbecue place...it was really nice and big. We'd stop by after church (at the old Mathews Memorial Methodist at the corner of Berry and McCart) and pick up BBQ chicken to take home. Good stuff!

It was back behind the west side of University.

You and I probably know each other. My family moved to Wedgwood in 1958 and also went to the same church.

#8 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 21 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You and I probably know each other. My family moved to Wedgwood in 1958 and also went to the same church.

Perhaps! Zip over to my website (in sig below) and send me an e-mail.

Wait...
You didn't beat me up at Bruce Shulkey, did you? wink.gif

#9 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Mark S @ Nov 21 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 21 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps! Zip over to my website (in sig below) and send me an e-mail.

Wait...
You didn't beat me up at Bruce Shulkey, did you? wink.gif

I don't know about beating you up but I had my share of scuffles. I actually started in first grade at Bruce Shulkey in 1958, its first year. Hard to believe it's been 50 years. Then it was off to Wedgwood and then opening Southwest in 1967. We owned the house in Wedgwood until 2002 when my Mother passed away. It was on Wedgmont Circle South a couple of houses from the Southwestern Bell building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users