198 replies to this topic

#151 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I think charter rates are more like $800 to $1200/ hr. I wouldn't want this one - look, the engine just stopped! ohmy.gif

#152 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

rotflmao.gif

Read that a Eurocopter has developed blades that cut the prop vortex noise down to 3 to 4 db, not "down" 3 to 4 db, down to it.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#153 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:The city of FORT WORTH

LOWRIDERS

TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

I have copy and pasted a few of your pics on another board. the guys really like your pics. I hope that's fine with you. If not I will take them down.
TRUE CLASSICS CAR CLUB
Fort Worth Texas

United Lowrider Council

#154 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Mar 5 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have copy and pasted a few of your pics on another board. the guys really like your pics. I hope that's fine with you. If not I will take them down.

L/W if you are talking about my pics you are more than welcome to share.

Saw this War plane flying over me while I was in the Stockyards yesterday around Noon.

www.fortworthview.com

#155 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Tiny Waning Crescent Moon at 5:30 this morning. Can see Dallas to the left of the Carter Burgess Building. (With good eyes and display)

www.fortworthview.com

#156 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

2 "Sun rising over Dallas pics" from this morning. A bit foggy.

www.fortworthview.com

#157 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (Brian Luenser @ Mar 7 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw this War plane flying over me while I was in the Stockyards yesterday around Noon.

This flyover was part of the memorial service for William "Doc" Hospers, the owner/pilot of "Chuckie" the B-17 and founder of the Vintage Flying Museum here at Meacham field. Doc passed away last Tuesday, and the memorial service at the hangar was attended by over 250 folks. Anyone interested in some photos of living and flying history should head up to Meacham and the museum and check it out.

Over 12,000 B-17s were made during WWII, but ony 58 remain. Of those, there are only 12 that can fly. Fort Worth is blessed to have one of these 12, and even more blessed to have folks like Doc who care enough to keep them flying!

#158 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

2 Photos for your inspection.

First of the rising Full Moon from my new condo. Still trying to figure out my directioning for my Moon and Sunrise shots from there. Blew it last night. Took my Moon shot from 21 when I should have been on 34. (Now why didn't my wife call me to tell me to come back to 34?) Yes, the Moon is overexposed. I have been complaining to the city about the Moon being too bright. They tell me they can't do anything about it. Sure.

And this morning's sunrise over Dallas. Icky seeing conditions but a fair shot just the same.
If you have seen my other sunrise pics this week you may notice the sun marching North across the Dallas skyline each morning.

www.fortworthview.com

#159 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Tuesday night at 9pm. Moon seen rising through a cloudy sky over Arlington.

www.fortworthview.com

#160 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

That's a keeper...

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#161 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Brian, another great shot...........we need more. Are you going to take some to the south from your new unit?

#162 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Mike. ^ and yes, indeed. I love my new southern view. But here is another from the old place looking East to Dallas.
This shot is from Sunday. Was a very dirty, dusty sky. But made for some fun colors. BTW the colors are real. No photoshop tricks.

www.fortworthview.com

#163 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

The Moon last night as I was next to the railroad tracks near Montgomery Plaza at 9:30. Yep. Waxing Gibbous.

400 5.6L

www.fortworthview.com

#164 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

4 pictures taken from my balcony tonight. (storm clouds over Dallas and Mansfield)

www.fortworthview.com

#165 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Waning Gibbous Moon over North Dallas. Too hazy to get much of a good shot. I have software with my telescope the tells me exactly where the moon is going to rise (REALLY high end math to figure manually.) If it is very hazy, the shot I want with building behind the moon is unattainable. One of those Jet Planes flying nearby. (Love Field takeoff)

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#166 Nitixope

Nitixope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

Are any of our planets visible this time of year? I've noticed a predominantly bright star that appears around dusk in the southwestern sky.

#167 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Are any of our planets visible this time of year? I've noticed a predominantly bright star that appears around dusk in the southwestern sky.

You are seeing Venus. Though Mars and and Saturn are both very close to it. But Mars and Saturn (Both also very visible to the naked eye) are pretty well setting right at sunset so would not be visible.

For the most visibility this week, besides Venus to the S.W. in the evening, is Jupiter rising in the East. Very bright and visible all evening. Interestingly Neptune and Uranus are right next to it but takes a big (like 10") scope to see them. Super huge, but like 2 Billion miles from Earth.
www.fortworthview.com

#168 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

Two more shots from tonight's Moon. Unexceptional except for the jet flying in front of the Moon. (Again Love Field)

Posted Image

And a close up crop.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#169 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

I took these 2 shots yesterday morning. (7:14AM verifiable) They are not pretty pics due to the pollution and or humidity/pollen/dust. But still a bit interesting. This is the Texas Health Resources building in North Arlington. (And a bit of Dallas on the left.)

This was the week the sun rises through Dallas from my place. And it was full of icky air. Next time is the end of March to try again. (just twice a year on any given section of Dallas from this distance. )

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#170 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Any chance of us seeing some Jupiter shots with the telescope?

#171 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Moon-rise on Tuesday. These two look great on my home display. Muddy on my work display. Sure always makes me wonder if I should be adjusting my photos on a more "average" display. (Or my work display sux)

Straight up HWY 121 toward the airport.
Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#172 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

Here is a slide show of this morning's Moon-rise over Dallas. (4:55 AM) And one pic, too.

Believe it or not, I have been waiting almost 5 years for a Moon-rise over Downtown Dallas. Where the moon comes up. Rocket science. Even with good software for me. It was a bit cloudy East of Dallas so the very first shots are a bit subdued. (A Waning Crescent of only 8% illumination has a hard time breaking through at such low altitudes.)

http://s830.photobuc...mview=slideshow

One photo from the slide-show

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#173 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

As previously admitted, I am a bogus astronomer. I love the sky and space. I know my major constellations and a few dozen stars. But I have become fascinated with taking pictures of the sky with my camera. Not attached to my telescope but just with my 400mm lens. From my balcony. (swaying balcony) Works pretty good. I am very surprised. I run the ISO up to 20k or whatever to allow a fairly fast exposure in the dark. (Anything longer that 5 seconds or so and you are only looking at the Earth spinning streaks of stars.)

Anyway, these 2 pics are not cream of the crop of my new stellar photos. But I am confused by an object. My astronomy software says there was no planets in the area. (I kind of keep track of the planets and kind of know where they are and what the look like.) this is not a planet. So what is it? I do not think it is a star. Stars are so far away that the closest star (forget our Sun) is just a pinpoint even to the largest telescope. So then what is this? An asteroid? An exploding star? Just not a clue. If somebody knows a real astronomer, ask them please...

Posted Image

Cropped pic of above shot.
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#174 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I noticed the red fringe halo. Have you corrected the image for lens chromatic abberation.... use Adobe Camera Raw and correct for the red channel. Hollar if you need help.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#175 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

I thought about a new category, like "Videos of the distance" videos taken with major magnification. But not sure this is not a one of. Interesting concept however. I did not plan this video, was just out on the balcony taking sunrise shots when I saw this get making a great contrail. Made a short video clip with my 5D MkII with my 400mm and x2 attached. Pretty good use of movie technology really. Ask yourself, what could you take a movie of except you cannot get close enough? A jet making a contrail is the perfect candidate. Jets don't make contrails flying low so major magnification is necessary. The kind no video camera under 500k offers. What I have here is hillbilly NASA equipment. Take a look at this video. Just 18 seconds.

www.fortworthview.com

#176 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I know. Pretty similar to last months Waning Gibbous Moon. But a little better seeing conditions, so here it is . (Tonight at 9:25pm)

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#177 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

And a bit later last night. Full and near full moons are not very photograph-able as they are too bright with too few shadows. (Direct Sun on in) But I sure got a few craters on last night's moon on the far right (Western) side.

A good reminder that we exit on Earth only because we have the perfect moon for collecting asteroids. And of course with pretty much no atmosphere or wind that are sharp craters forever. (Or at least 8-10 billion years)

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#178 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

Shot of Venus this morning. (11-10-10) 400x2. As I have mentioned before, the 2x adapter on my 400 5.6L is a quality image, but because the maximum F Stop exceeds 5.6 with the 2X I have to focus manually. This is a bigger deal than it sounds when you have a big lens on a tripod. I have about 400 bucks in my tripod and head. About what you pay in sales tax for a really good tripod. So it is not REAL steady when you put a big lens on it and then focus it manually. (Touch the lens and it is rock'n and roll'n for several seconds.) So it has very limited us as attached to a pretty big lens. A 2x works great on a 100. It works with my 70-200 2.8L IS. But if I want that kind of magnification I reach for my 400.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#179 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Some shots of last night's winter solstice full lunar eclipse:

Full moon shot first:

Posted Image

Halfway to full eclipse:

Posted Image

Totality Part One:

Posted Image

Totality Part Two:

Posted Image

Pink Moon shot from over the weekend:

Posted Image

#180 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

[quote name='Art Cooler' timestamp='1292981834' post='63903']
Some shots of last night's winter solstice full lunar eclipse:

Full moon shot first:

Last photo (pink moon) is really spectacular, Art. Get that puppy on the wall!
www.fortworthview.com

#181 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

I noticed, even without optics, that the Dallas skyline looked different this morning. 2 factors. Super Bowl lighting and some strange optical situation. Like a temperature inversion or something? Notice how you can see a reflection of some of the buildings above them? Like a mirage. Not a high quality photo but I find it interesting.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#182 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yep, its an inversion (I think). You should send that photo to spaceweather.com They love stuff like that and frequently have optical experts comment on exactly what is causing it.

#183 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Yep, probably got a bit of a Fata Morgana there (type of superior mirage associated with inversions).

#184 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Pretty Moon last night. Took this shot hanging over my balcony on 34. (Not many more shots looking South as I am moving on June 1 and trading the Southern view for the Western view.) Will mostly look North but can see East and West.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#185 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Not a very clear sky, but still the Waxing Gibbous Moon shines through. I took this from the Parking Garage at The Tower.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#186 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Nice moon shot there, and I see a bit of chemtrails there as well... hmmm

#187 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Pretty sure they are contrails. But if they are chemtrails, I hope they are to sterilize the general population. I am paying for too many babies in our give-away society.
www.fortworthview.com

#188 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

I took this shot at 8:30 tonight. Kind of fun.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#189 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Your shot made the weather segment on WFAA. By the time I thought to go outside to look at this, Jupiter had already set and the Moon was behind the trees.

#190 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thank you. I got an e-mail just before the news from Steve McCauley, weather guy in Channel 8 to say thanks, he would use if for sure. (But not enough time to shout it out)

Was my second photo on Channel 8 in 4 days. They have been pretty fun to supply stuff to. I mostly only send stuff to Channel 8 now. (Unless I have a picture of Marilyn Monroe riding a dolphin in The Trinity.)
www.fortworthview.com

#191 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I do not ever remember the atmosphere as favorable to contrails as it was this morning.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#192 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Got this shot of the Eclipse from my balcony tonight. I just could not believe how unlucky we were to get that tiny storm right between us and the action. (only) But as the Sun got really low I got a shot or two.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#193 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, Brian. :) We had no clue over here at ground level in far East Fort Worth. :?:

Bruce Burton

#194 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,793 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

I tried to catch a glimpse of it at my house, but it was way too cloudy to see it from my vantage point. By the way, I did see your photo on Channel 8 a few minutes ago.

#195 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Two shots from tonight's view of Venus Transiting the Sun.

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#196 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,793 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Great shots, Brian. There was one other eclipse that most people didn't pick up. On Monday morning, around 6 AM, I went out to my front yard to pick up the Star-Telegram, and I saw the moon setting in the west. I saw that it was about 50% dark. I thought to myself that wasnt' right because if the moon is setting at about the same time the sun is rising, it should be full. I stared at it a long time, and I finaly concluded there must be a lunar eclipse occurring. Sure enough, there was. It was a partial eclipse here because, like the transit and the annular eclipse of the sun, it was setting during the eclipse. I did verify that it was occurring by checking online.

#197 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Great shots, Brian. There was one other eclipse that most people didn't pick up. On Monday morning, around 6 AM, I went out to my front yard to pick up the Star-Telegram, and I saw the moon setting in the west. I saw that it was about 50% dark. I thought to myself thatwasn'tt' right because if the moon is setting at about the same time the sun is rising, it should be full. I stared at it a long time, and I finaly concluded there must be a lunar eclipse occurring. Sure enough, there was. It was a partial eclipse here because, like the transit and the annular eclipse of the sun, it was setting during the eclipse. I did verify that it was occurring by checking online.

Crazy. I have never been surprised by an eclipse before. Heard nothing about Monday's. Seems strange nobody was talking about it. Fun that you saw it.

And thanks, John. (Got both my pics on Channel 8 tonight.) I was sure surprised by the sun spots. I guess that is the first time I even tried to capture the face of the Sun.
www.fortworthview.com

#198 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

View of the sky at 4:30 this Morning. I find it fun to look in the past. The Star Aldebaran you are looking at is 65 light years away. (You are looking at 1947... really) BTW, looking at Jupiter, you are looking in the past by around 40 minutes depending on how close we are to it that day.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#199 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if they sell gold and silver on Aldebaran (at 1947 values) and whether I can get there and back this evening...
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users