4 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

Here is a bit of Local History. The Westbrook Hotel was imploded 30 years ago this week (January 29, 1978)

Does anyone remember where it was and what is there now????

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Janna, you didn't search the forum before you posted. There is already a thread on this, complete with photographs.

I will answer your questions, and later, I will probably merge the threads.

The Westbrook Hotel faced West 4th Street between Main and Houston. It was a half block wide along Main and Houston. The building was demolished for a parking lot and the lot still stands today. It is better known as the Chisholm Trail Parking Lot because of the Chisholm Trail Mural that faces the lot and is on the wall of the only building standing on that block at the current time. Future plans call for a public plaza to be constructed on a portion of the block and a half block retail building is to be built facing Houston Street. Across Main, another half block portion of the plaza will be developed, along with another retail building facing Commerce. The property where this retail building may be built is not owned by Sundance Square.

Here's a link to the implosion photographs in another "Local History" thread:
http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=1676

#3 Janna

Janna

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

JOHN........THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT INFO!!! I was 19 years old at the time and my 1st ex-husband smile.gif worked for Tompkins and Company (demolition company), and he was one of the men who set the explosives. It was the 1st building I had ever seen imploded and it left a lasting impression on me!! The pics are great!!!

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 27 2008, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Janna, you didn't search the forum before you posted. There is already a thread on this, complete with photographs.

I will answer your questions, and later, I will probably merge the threads.

The Westbrook Hotel faced West 4th Street between Main and Houston. It was a half block wide along Main and Houston. The building was demolished for a parking lot and the lot still stands today. It is better known as the Chisholm Trail Parking Lot because of the Chisholm Trail Mural that faces the lot and is on the wall of the only building standing on that block at the current time. Future plans call for a public plaza to be constructed on a portion of the block and a half block retail building is to be built facing Houston Street. Across Main, another half block portion of the plaza will be developed, along with another retail building facing Commerce. The property where this retail building may be built is not owned by Sundance Square.

Here's a link to the implosion photographs in another "Local History" thread:
http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=1676

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the comments. However, an architect friend of mine took those photographs when he worked for Preston Geren back in the 1970's. Their offices were in the old Fort Worth National Bank Tower (now just The Tower).

#5 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone know the name of the bar that was in the basement of the Westbrook?

Here is a bit of Local History. The Westbrook Hotel was imploded 30 years ago this week (January 29, 1978)

Does anyone remember where it was and what is there now????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users