#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

Which restaurant serves the best Italian Food in Fort Worth?

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

I haven't been in years, but I was always really liked Margie's Italian Gardens.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Actually I can't find a decent place in town worth mentioning. closedeyes.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Dr Quest

Dr Quest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 3 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only Fort Worth would get a Fazoli's you'd be in luck.

#5 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

Margie's is still one of the best but seems to have gone down somewhat. Chief Paul bought the original Margie's for a short time and I don't know who has it now. After Chef Paul left there he was hired as Toby Keith's family chef to cook for his wife and daughter. He was a good chef but seemed to be overly fond of boos and other things and came back to open Fuzzy's Taco Shop and has sold those now.

#6 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

Has anyone else eaten at Piola yet? It's somewhat hit or miss (had a smoked chicken pasta that was WAY too smoked...as in they must have poured in liquid smoke or something). But their Lasagna is amazing. I can't say I've ordered Lasagna at a ton of places, but this is the best I've had. Also their patio is going to be great when the weather warms up.

Overall I would say the best Italian meal I've had in FW was at La Piazza, but I think the quality isn't what it used to be (and the prices are way high). Taverna is my regular spot in FW nowadays if I want decent risotto or pasta.

For Pizza, we order from Rocco's at least once every couple of weeks and it's excellent. I've been wanting to try Coal Vines as well, since the coal-fired pizza I've had at a couple of places in New York is the best I've eaten. Rocco's is wood-fired.

#7 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

La Piazza is the only authentic Italian place I know. It is way, way overpriced, overly formal, and Vito is infamous. But foodwise, is the only place that serves what you would find in Italy.

I've heard good things about Piola and Nonna Tata but haven't tried either yet. Next time I'm in town, though. Taverna's pizza is mostly authentic, the rest of their menu not so much.

One of the many doomed restaurants in the space currently occupied by Risky's downtown was an excellent Italian restaurant. And I'm not taking about Lombardi's. Bernard (of St. Emilion) opened an Italian place there for a little while in the late 80s and it was fantastic, but always empty. I can't remember the name, though.

#8 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (hannerhan @ Jan 4 2008, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Pizza, we order from Rocco's at least once every couple of weeks and it's excellent. I've been wanting to try Coal Vines as well, since the coal-fired pizza I've had at a couple of places in New York is the best I've eaten. Rocco's is wood-fired.

i hadn't thought of pizza (sort of its own category in my mind). we really like i fratelli for regular delivery. coal vines is a true new york style pizza, which in my experience is a take it or leave it thing for many texans. we went to the new one in southlake a few times and liked it, but probably wouldn't have gone back after the first time if my sister hadn't been working there. now that she isn't, we'll probably opt for delivery and store bought (less marked-up) alcohol.

#9 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

I can't find coal vines listing, is that in FW? I like the thick soft dough and gobs of cheese on top. So far Mamma's is more to my liking when I order triple cheese and remind them not to keep it in the oven too long.

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Dr Quest @ Jan 3 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (safly @ Jan 3 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only Fort Worth would get a Fazoli's you'd be in luck.

Isn't that a chain? Looks like a Popeye's (colors) from the outside with a BIG RED TOMATOE sign??

Lookin for a good gnocchi place, different sauces to try, good calamar, decent wine list. Care less about the pizza, but would like for a great meat lovers platter, Napolitano or Tuscan style. In fact, Napoli's in DTGrapevine is the last great Italian meal I had without hurtin the wallet in N.Texas. Yummy soft garlic/cheese bread stix to dip in a side of alfredo sauce. Bliss!

Bon Appetito!
www.iheartfw.com

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jan 4 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't find coal vines listing, is that in FW? I like the thick soft dough and gobs of cheese on top. So far Mamma's is more to my liking when I order triple cheese and remind them not to keep it in the oven too long.

Try West End Dallas.
www.iheartfw.com

#12 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

Aventino's in Ridglea is my favorite and best coffee in town! Oh the carpachio

#13 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

- Nonna Tata
- Margie's
- Ruffino's

#14 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

Palermo's on Magnolia is my Italian restaurant of choice in FW.

#15 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jan 4 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coal Vines is in Uptown Dallas just north of downtown near the Crescent. Really good pizza, great wine list. But very small and always too crowded... with incredibly good looking people that strangely, don't look like they eat much pizza.

Keep this list going, I've always said I've never found really good Italian in FW. (Not since I was much younger and there was a place next to the old Kroger's in the old Woodhaven Shopping Center on Brentwood Stair back when it was nice. That place was terrific, my family ate there all the time.

#16 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

There is a Coal Vines in Southlake, out in front of the Central Market. Good food, but I haven't worked my way up to the pizza yet.

#17 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Jan 7 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a Coal Vines in Southlake, out in front of the Central Market. Good food, but I haven't worked my way up to the pizza yet.

Forgot about the CV in Southlake. I hope they stop there. Cool places lose their appeal, IMO, when they start setting up shop in the burbs.

#18 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Dcurtis @ Jan 7 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep this list going, I've always said I've never found really good Italian in FW. (Not since I was much younger and there was a place next to the old Kroger's in the old Woodhaven Shopping Center on Brentwood Stair back when it was nice. That place was terrific, my family ate there all the time.

Are you talking about Italy Pizza and Pasta?That place moved to a shopping center(next to albertsons) at the corner of Bridge St. and 820 years ago.I heard it was the same people operating.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#19 Okie-JR

Okie-JR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

I haven't really found a local one I like either. I have to admit though, (and this will make me lose any credibility) I like Macaroni Grill. : )

#20 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Jan 11 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dcurtis @ Jan 7 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about Italy Pizza and Pasta?That place moved to a shopping center(next to albertsons) at the corner of Bridge St. and 820 years ago.I heard it was the same people operating.

Italy Pasta and Pizza is run by Nick. I'm sure Nick has a last name, but in ten years I've never heard it. It's an interesting place. Nick claims it's the only business he has, but the guy has a different $100K sports car every six months. He had a sweet little Ferrari for a while that I just loved. The place is staffed entirely by Nolan students and people who barely speak any English.

Personally, it's my favorite Itallian in town, but it's a lot like La Familia for Mexican. It's good and the prices are good, but don't go there expecting La Piaza or anything to appease the culinary snobs of the world. It ain't that kind of place( BYOB for one thing). I will say this for it, though. I've got some good friends who are Italians from New Jersey and this is where they always want to eat. I think it is very comfortable for them.

#21 76107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

Bella West. They charge like the Light Brigade, but you get what you pay for. Its kind of like La Piazza without Vito, or Vito's horrible attitude. Its also behind a police substation in case you want to ask them for a ride home when you're done. I also think Nonna Tata is one of the best Italian restaurants in the country, and I've eaten at a lot of them. Unfortunately, I'm something of a hood rat, and it ain't in my hood. Also, you could grow old and die waiting for a table on a Friday.

#22 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

I haven't tried some of the establishments listed previously in this thread. I proposed to my wife at La Piazza, and would still rank that meal as one of the best I have ever had, however, since then they have moved locations to their present one and we have not been back - maybe that's overly sentimental. The one we used to like in Dallas doesn't exist anymore, I even forget the name off the top of my head. As far as downtown choices go, we like Taverna the best of all the available options. I would agree that there is a strange lack of top-notch choices in Fort Worth.

#23 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

I didn't read your post until just now, 76107. Hilarious.

Being vegetarian, I always forget about Bella West. They are very good, though.

If you really want a good Italian meal in FW without the hassle or paying an arm and a leg, buy a cookbook by Micol Negrin or Mario Batali, do your grocery shopping at Central Market, and cook it yourself. Italian food is fairly simple and the most important thing is that you have fresh ingredients. In case I haven't mentioned it before, the produce here in Indiana (where I am educationally exiled) can best be described as Soviet. You don't know how good you have it in FW.

#24 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Sam Stone @ May 19 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't read your post until just now, 76107. Hilarious.

Being vegetarian, I always forget about Bella West. They are very good, though.

If you really want a good Italian meal in FW without the hassle or paying an arm and a leg, buy a cookbook by Micol Negrin or Mario Batali, do your grocery shopping at Central Market, and cook it yourself. Italian food is fairly simple and the most important thing is that you have fresh ingredients. In case I haven't mentioned it before, the produce here in Indiana (where I am educationally exiled) can best be described as Soviet. You don't know how good you have it in FW.

Agreed about cooking it yourself - that's exactly what I did tonight, though I usually shop at Whole Foods - Central Market is excellent as well.

#25 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

Italian Inn for pizza (love those singing waiters) and Milano's on 7th for good prices and great service.

#26 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

There is a great italian place on Riverside and Belknap called Mamma Mia's. Its better than Milano's (which i think is excellent as well) and is in a really interesting space. They have done a terrific job in the restoration of the building they are in. The stuffed mushrooms are ridiculously good.

Italy Pasta and Pizza is run by Nick. I'm sure Nick has a last name, but in ten years I've never heard it. It's an interesting place. Nick claims it's the only business he has, but the guy has a different $100K sports car every six months. He had a sweet little Ferrari for a while that I just loved. The place is staffed entirely by Nolan students and people who barely speak any English.

I also love Nick's on the east side. Everyone on the east side knows it cause it was pretty much the only restaurant in the area for the longest time. I love that someone also noted the random sports cars out front. He used to have a yellow Lotus Elise out front that made you wonder what went on in the back room. I have heard that if you ask him about the "we dont call the cops here" sign by the cash register he will show you huge .44 magnum a la Dirty Harry that he has behind the counter. of course that could be a little urban legend.

#27 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

I agree that Mamma Mia's is a very neat looking place, but I cannot say the same about their food. Now, I have not tried their stuffed mushrooms, but that isn't going to make me choose them over another place that does the same. Are they breaded? Their antipasti salad looks amazing and loaded, people I know second that. I might stop in there one more time just for that.

Anyways, their pasta sauce is not genuine and authentic as one would ASSUME. In fact, too acidic and tangy for my taste. Very very very dark red.
www.iheartfw.com

#28 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Jan 4 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aventino's in Ridglea is my favorite and best coffee in town! Oh the carpachio

Aventino's is one of my favorite too. I also like Fortuna's on Camp Bowie next to Red Carpet Car Wash...very good...

#29 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Anyways, their pasta sauce is not genuine and authentic as one would ASSUME. In fact, too acidic and tangy for my taste. Very very very dark red.

I have a hard time with almost everyone's red sauce. I personally prefer bolognese to traditional tomato based sauces, so tend to not like many red sauces. If i could find a place with a good bolognese, i dont think i would leave. I haven't found one in FW, or the DFW for that matter.

Mamma Mia's tortellini ala panna is pretty great and their specials are consistently good. There is a salmon dish that my grandmother always gets that is good, but i can never remember what it is. Their stuffed mushrooms are sinful. They are smothered in cheese and sauce, pretty much a big fat bowl tasty goodness, tasty tasty [heart attack] goodness.

does anyone have a good recommendation on excellent bolognese?

#30 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Bolgnese. I would recommend Salerno's that was on Camp Bowie (in a shady motel), but Mike scrammed back to NYC and the restaurant changed hands. He was TOPS in my book of foodies for Fort Worth.

If you were to be interested in taking a drive, head out to Southlake or Dallas for some Bucca di Beppo. And bring family!
I know that Joes Pasta and Pizza on Park Place and 8th Ave. has very tasty bolgnese. Easy to make at home too.

If you are to make your own tomato sauce at home, just remember to srape the discolored top foamage off every once in a while. That's THE ACIDIC BYPRODUCT! Slooooooow cook your sauce and no need to lid it until AFTER it is done to your tasting. Personally, I like it Mario Batali style with some finely chopped carrots.

A good article on sauce making. TOMATO SAUCES

And THE CHEF himself. Now this guys cooking shows in the early part of this decade really got me going with my culinary pursuits and all things ITALIAN. Molto MARIO!

An old topic about acid reduction for your tomato sauce. Good points made late in the conversation. NO SUGAR AND NO OREGANO! What?

I will have to try that Nick's place. How does one get there?
www.iheartfw.com

#31 stephania

stephania
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Jan 3 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been in years, but I was always really liked Margie's Italian Gardens.

good day everyone!

One of best Italian food located in Velleggia's Restaurant, they serve Authentic Italian eatery serves traditional cuisine, such as antipasto, scalloppini and primavera dishes, as well as offers a variety of salads.

#32 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

Nick's is just off of loop 820 on bridge street. It is in a strip mall north of the Home Depot. Exit bridgewood going east on 30, then left on bridgewood and right on Bridge, Nick's is on the left.

#33 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Good grief! Now I have several Italian joints to try? I am trying to take it easy on the carbs.

Nicks, Fortuna's, Aventino's, Vellegia? Whew, I'm already fat!

Joe's: Thumbs up for me. Great prices.
Milano's: very OK for me. But good prices.
Bucca: wouldn't drive anywhere for it anymore.

La Piazza. When I first moved to FW, I was flatly told that was the best restaurant in town. I don't really agree to such a broad statement but it's good. Right now I would vote for Taverna but......you know..........

Good info though!

#34 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

I too have not ventured out to Bucca in quite a while. I was taken back a bit when they HAD NO MORE garlic mashed potatoes twice in a row, and then they had THA NERVE to take their Chocolate Wedge Cake off the menu. So me and THA LADY don't hit it up like we used to. Excellent meatballs though.

Another place I have been to and the name escapes me but it is very good quality and variety. The location is just off of Precinct Line and Airport Highway. It's in Hurst or Mid Cities area. It could be called Joe's or Italianni's, but it is not a Joe's Pizza Pasta kinda place. Very similar to a Maggiano's. And the nearest Maggiano's is in Allen or Addisson I believe.
www.iheartfw.com

#35 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Jun 4 2008, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too have not ventured out to Bucca in quite a while. I was taken back a bit when they HAD NO MORE garlic mashed potatoes twice in a row, and then they had THA NERVE to take their Chocolate Wedge Cake off the menu. So me and THA LADY don't hit it up like we used to. Excellent meatballs though.

Another place I have been to and the name escapes me but it is very good quality and variety. The location is just off of Precinct Line and Airport Highway. It's in Hurst or Mid Cities area. It could be called Joe's or Italianni's, but it is not a Joe's Pizza Pasta kinda place. Very similar to a Maggiano's. And the nearest Maggiano's is in Allen or Addisson I believe.

safly, the place you are thinking of is called Italianni's, and it is indeed a block or two north of 183 on Precinct Line, left-hand side. This place has changed hands more than once in the time I have lived here, and the quality has varied accordingly. The last time we went, it was very good again, but this was several months ago now.

Also, there is a Maggiano's in Northpark Mall in Dallas - another of my favorites in the area.

#36 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Nonna Totta just got a fantastic write-up in today's Morning News by Bill Addison. Might have to try that place pretty soon.

#37 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (learsfool @ Jun 6 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nonna Totta just got a fantastic write-up in today's Morning News by Bill Addison. Might have to try that place pretty soon.

It's definitely my favorite--save room for dessert. I haven't read the DMN's review yet, but any review would be remiss if they don't warn you to be prepared for a long wait and to byob.

No love for Ferre at all on this board? I've only been once but thought it was pretty decent..at least as good as Taverna. I agree with the previous comment on Piola--way hit or miss.

#38 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

I've been to Taverna plenty of times, and love it, but haven't been to Ferre once. Will have to remedy that.

--

Kara B.

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Kevin, go to Ferre and you can see some of my firm's work in action.

#40 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

I'm headin over there tonight for late dessert. Your firm did the interior?
www.iheartfw.com

#41 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Jun 6 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm headin over there tonight for late dessert. Your firm did the interior?

Safly, after reading the 'best steak' thread, I was surprised not to see you pop in here with Olive Garden laugh.gif

#42 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

Their Zuppa Toscana is TOPS in MY SOUP BOOK. And their breadstix, FUUUH-GET-ABOUT-IT!

Just so happens that OTHERS all over the country agree. tongue.gif

Zuppa Toscana RECIPE. YUMMMMMMMM!

Thought about that thread when I read this in a magazine advertisement.

Well, THE Saltgrass did EARN a FAVORITE STEAKHOUSE reader's choice award down in SA (SA Express News), and FIRST PLACE BEST STEAK by Best Of CITYSEARCH for Austin and San Antonio! And those cities boast just as many prime steakhouse places to dine as FW touts. And SA has TWO Ruth's Chris Steak Houses, SO THERE!
www.iheartfw.com

#43 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

Ate at Ferre again last night. Better than I remembered from a visit several months back. Don't know if the pizza beats Taverna's, as they have a REAL pizza oven at Taverna's, but probably better entree's overall, and better deserts.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Safly, no we didn't do the interior of Ferre. We did the exterior addition to the building at the patio, and even that was split up work. David Schwarz designed the addition and we prepared the drawings to build it. This was a very piecemeal project, with each architect only having a small part of the overall project.

#45 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (learsfool @ Jun 8 2008, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ate at Ferre again last night. Better than I remembered from a visit several months back. Don't know if the pizza beats Taverna's, as they have a REAL pizza oven at Taverna's, but probably better entree's overall, and better deserts.

Maybe I'm missing out, but I just can't order pizza at restaurants like this--so many other interesting menu items & Rocco's is just a phone call away!

#46 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

Oh, I didn't get to dine at the patio. We had the "Maestro" area reserved for our party. I have dined al fresco there before, but when it was Angeluna's.

Food was simple and unnecessarily SKIMP and DELICATE, but with a DAINTY quality for the eyes. The thinly sliced red onions in my ALFREDO ORECHIETTE (supposed to have 2 C's) were too raw and overbearing in taste, it took away the simplicity and heartiness that is ALFREDO, but the spinach pasta was delightful (PSSST! It wasn't orecchiette, it was spinach tortellini ohmy.gif ), but they get a pass on it. Would have substituted pan cooked prosciutto or finely diced bacon pieces for the onion, or at the very least add to it. Not my take on ITALIAN, but they seem to be doing there's very well judging by the late din-crowd. The desserts were very flavorful (riccota cheesecake, like an open cannoli) and their appetizer bread tasted just heavenly. What saved the evening was RAHR on tap, Summer Wheat Ale I want to say, the server never really described the beer to me. Just said RAHR lager. Tasted like a wheat ale, very good though.

All in all it was average for it's pricing and upscale attitude, I will probably dine there at another time, just not more than 3 times a year. Not my kind of price for those kind of portions, especially if I have to drive into DTFW at these gas prices.
www.iheartfw.com

#47 Dr Quest

Dr Quest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Jun 7 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought about that thread when I read this in a magazine advertisement.

Well, THE Saltgrass did EARN a FAVORITE STEAKHOUSE reader's choice award down in SA (SA Express News), and FIRST PLACE BEST STEAK by Best Of CITYSEARCH for Austin and San Antonio! And those cities boast just as many prime steakhouse places to dine as FW touts. And SA has TWO Ruth's Chris Steak Houses, SO THERE!

Several years ago the readers of The Dallas Observer voted Burger King the best burger in Dallas, that's usually why these polls have an editors or staff's choice because when you let the masses vote you usually end up with El Chico at the mall chosen as best mex.

#48 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

So when the FW FORUM was voted Reader's Choice BEST OF LOCAL WEBSITE in the '07 FW Weekly, that didn't mean anythig? huh.gif

Get real Q.

I trust the judgement of the masses the same if not more than those staffers who tend to pick those that advertise with them.

BK does make a mean burger.
www.iheartfw.com

#49 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jun 8 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So when the FW FORUM was voted Reader's Choice BEST OF LOCAL WEBSITE in the '07 FW Weekly, that didn't mean anythig? huh.gif

Get real Q.

I trust the judgement of the masses the same if not more than those staffers who tend to pick those that advertise with them.

BK does make a mean burger.

By the way the words "favorite" and "best" are not interchangeable. I find it hard to believe that Saltgrass won any "best steak" award by a reputable source, but I'll take your word for it.

I agree that the staff choices (particularly in the FW Weekly) usually leave a lot to be desired. There are cases where the staff clearly picks something just to be quirky or different from the Reader's choice, which is annoying.

#50 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Jun 8 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm missing out, but I just can't order pizza at restaurants like this--so many other interesting menu items & Rocco's is just a phone call away!

I don't know - the pizza at Taverna is also interesting, and darn tasty. I love the pear & gorgonzola pizza there.

--

Kara B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users