2 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

I guess most of us have heard that the last Striplings Department Store on Camp Bowie is on the way out.

I was flipping through a copy of the 1937 Frontier Fiesta brochure that I got recently and came upon a page which is apparently a rendering of a new Striplings store being built. I presume it was the downtown store. Any information would be appreciated...

IPB Image

The back cover of this same brochure also had a nice picture of the now emasculated Texas Electric power plant which is owned I guess by TCC currently. I think it is looking from the north toward downtown. A nice rendering of the first Casa Manana is also on the page:

IPB Image

And I couldn't resist including from the Cover page another picture of Casa along with some additional architecture in a different style:

IPB Image

Note: the Frontier Fiesta was essentially the second year of the Fort Worth Centennial celebration. All this was happening right in the middle of the Great Depression. Before Zolof or Prozac

©2007 Electric Books

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

John will likely give the definitive (and correct) answer, but I think maybe this is the addition that faced Main Street on their block bounded by 2nd, Houston, 3rd and Main (the original store being on the Houston Street side of the block, IIRC).

Wonderful stuff! Thanks for posting it.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

Yes, cbellomy is correct. The Stripling's opening was for the addition along Main Street. The store started on the southeast corner of 1st and Houston and eventually expanded to cover the entire block. However, the buildings that were demolished on this side of the block in 1979 were not the original buildings in which Stripling's started. By the 1910's and 20's the store already had enough growth to replace the earlier buildings on Houston Street. The 1937 Art Deco addition along Main replaced several late 1800's buildings that Stripling's had already expanded into, as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users