4 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

For those of you that are interested in maps of Texas and Fort Worth I have recently updated my website with some new things:

www.lectricbooks.com

For arcane Texas history buffs one of the new maps is an 1872 Texas County map by Warner & Beers. It is a beautifully colored map, but it is also the only Texas county map that I know that shows the very short-lived "Wigefarth" County in the lower Panhandle up against Indian Territory on the Red River. I have been able to find very little published information about this county.

One of the new maps is "1885 Fort Worth ~ Hell's Half Acre" (HHA). It is an original design using many historic elements. It is on the website but there is a larger image available at my eBay Store. The Great Texas Trail map and the Lonesome Dove map are also there for those of you who have never seen them.

The HHA map uses a number of original maps from my collection as well as several public domain maps to show both an overall picture of Fort Worth in the period from about 1881 to 1889 and specifically the area from about 10th Street south to the T & P railroad and east to Jones St. The map also shows an approximate routing for the cattle trail as it came in from the south and went through town headed down Samuels & Cold Springs road for the Daggett crossing on the Trinity. This route was probably somewhat earlier than the 1885 date of this HHA map.

There are various boundaries published for the HHA but this is probably the most likely for the period. Much of the information was based on Rick Selcer's definitive 1991 book "Hell Half Acre" , which any of you interested should read. The Stockyard's Museum in the Livestock Exchange building has these in stock.

One of the most interesting things that turned up during the process of developing the HHA map was that a very large number of people thought that HHA was originally in the Stockyards. Even some old timer natives that should have known better insisted that it was. Since the cattle drives started in about 1866 and continued only to the middle 1880's in the Fort Worth area, and the first Union Stockyards in North Fort Worth were not started until about 1889-1890, this just wasn't possible.

Also.. If you're looking for something interesting to see & do this weekend you might try the Frontier Fort's Muster in the Stockyards Friday & Saturday.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

I saw some interesting pictures in the CHASE Bank lobby in DTFW. The lobby lady said that a Mr. Lee Angel was the local photographer who did the restorative works on the pics. Very detailed and intriguing number of photos to see. I recommend seeing them and finding more about how Mr. Angel got hold of them.

One had HHA in the shot, I believe. And another had a wonderful skyline pic with the old Medical Building.

What was really neato and soooo FW, were the bank pics in the lobbies back in 1910's. Every bank lobby had about 2 or 3 spitoons setup.

Anyone here know of Mr. Angel? If so, please invite him on the FORUM.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Lee Angle Photography maybe? Here.

#4 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Very cool new maps, Pete. I'll have to see if the Mrs. will loan me a couple of bucks. :-)

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

The original post really wasn't meant as anything but historically informational.

However, if any forum member is interested in any of the maps or CD's I will make them available at my dealer's cost. Just contact me direct at:

djold1@charter.net

Thanks

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users