151 replies to this topic

#151 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

I was curious about the claim that 714 was the tallest building in Texas when it opened. Most places list the Adolphus hotel at 311 or 312 feet, and it opened in 1912, where 714 Main is listed as 307 feet and opened  9 years after the Adolphus, meaning 714 never would've been the tallest. I asked John if he knew anything about this and if the listing on the website was maybe a mistake. He checked the 1922 Sanborn map of Dallas, which listed the Adolphus as only 220 feet. I then went and checked the heights of the modeled buildings in Google Earth and it came much closer to the 220 height mark and was nowhere near 312 feet. This is also obvious when viewing the 327-foot building adjacent to the adolphus, which is clearly much taller. There is no way the Adolphus is anywhere near 300 feet tall. The wrong height for the Adolphus is listed in several places, including Emporis, Wikipedia, and Skyscraperpage. I've not figured out where the 312-foot number came from. 

This does mean that 714 was certainly the tallest in Texas at the time of its completion. Interestingly, I believe 714 Main was also taller than anything in Chicago at the time, an impressive feat for little ol' Fort Worth! This Hometown by Handlebar post also lists it as the tallest in the Southwest, which I guess depends on your definition of Southwest, it was taller than anything in Los Angeles, but Oakland's city hall is taller, as is the Hibernia National Bank building in New Orleans.

714's reign of tallest was officially taken by Dallas in 1923 when the 430 foot Magnolia Hotel opened. 

• JBB likes this

#152 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

Adding to this thought, along the accessible ramp connecting the hotel lobby to the elevator lobby, inside the Magnolia Hotel, there is an architectural drawing of the building's elevation.  This drawing is dimensioned and from finish floor to the top of the building, the number is 400 feet, not 430.  Therefore, this building's height is probably incorrect, as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users