• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

Anyone else see this? I think this is sooooo cool. laugh.gif

From Thurs Star-Telegram:

"Tune in to the '60s

A bit of Fort Worth radio history will get a nationwide tribute this Friday -- on satellite radio (but stay tuned, you might still be able to hear it without a satellite unit). XM Satellite Radio, as part of a weekly tribute to 1960s radio stations, will honor Fort Worth's classic KFJZ as one of the most influential stations of that time. From 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, XM's '60s channel will present radio station jingles, sound checks and local color about Fort Worth-area high schools, restaurants, people and so forth. Present or former Fort Worth residents can call in and talk about their memories of KFJZ and the city itself. The show is free to non-subscribers via a free, three-day trial of XM Satellite Radio, available online at listen.xmradio.com."

Mark E Baby, L Shannon, George Erwin!! I am so going to check this out and feel even older than I do already! cool.gif

#2 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

I can hear the commercials for "Henry's Jean Scene" now. . .

#3 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Bought many a pair of Landlubber hip hugger bell bottom jeans there 30+ years ago!!

#4 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Ah Henry's Jean Scene...I don't think we bought jeans anywhere but there until the Gap opened at Ridgmar.

I always loved going there to sell advertising for the Jacket Journal in high school.

#5 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Geeez . . . the Jacket Journal . . . have not heard that in years! Henry's was always the place to shop to get ready for school in the fall. It was Mecca for blue jeans.

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

And if I'm remembering right, and certainly dating myself, Levi's only came in two styles, button fly and zip fly, and the button ones you had to buy 1 size too big and 2 sizes to long or some such thing. And forget there being lady's Levi's.

#7 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

And the lesser amount of buttons on your button fly the sleazier you were...lolololol

#8 danny

danny

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Custom Trim Contractor

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(seurto @ Feb 9 2007, 03:55 PM) View Post

And if I'm remembering right, and certainly dating myself, Levi's only came in two styles, button fly and zip fly, and the button ones you had to buy 1 size too big and 2 sizes to long or some such thing. And forget there being lady's Levi's.

mark stevens aka marky baby with kfjz and concerts west present
jimi hendrix in concert may 9 1970 at will rodgers
dig

#9 Paul Hinson

Paul Hinson

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

Henry's Jean Scene? Hadn't heard that one in a long time. I miss the old days when Channel 11 had their building near Arlington Heights along with KFJZ I do believe being in the same building. When driving back to the west side from downtown you could see what movie was on the 9:00 p.m. movie (or sometimes 8:00 p.m. movie).

#10 Dave S

Dave S

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

Good ol' KFJZ was our main staion back in the mid 70s before FM took over. We listened to KXOL sometimes too, but KFJZ was just a tiny bit cooler. Larry Shannon (who shortened his name to L. Shannon) spoke at our HS (Paschal). I remember thinking he sure did look different than his voice! lol I wonder what ever happened to him? I was a sack boy at a neighbothood grocery store and saw a guy wearing a cool-looking T-shirt embroidered with the KJJZ logo. I aksed if he worked at the station. He said yes so I naturally asked what he did. His voiced dropped wayyyy down and he said "My on air name is Brother John Rivers." I sent him an email at KLTY a few years ago but never heard back from him.

#11 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

Hey DaveS - welcome to the FW Forum! You'll love it. I don't remember when L Shannon came to Paschal (being a former Paschalite myself), but do remember him and Mark E Baby coming to McLean and signing autographs in the gym. Our radio was ALWAYS on KFJZ I think!

#12 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Larry Shannon
Mark E. Baby
Dave Tucker
George Nolan to name a few at KFJZ . . .

and does anyone remember at KXOL . . .K.C. and Ducky on-air duo? . . . I think Ducky was some english gal if my memory serves. . . .

I can remember attending a Heights pep rally in the parking lot of KFJZ back in 1973.

#13 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

If you're not aware of this site, you should be:

The History of Dallas-Fort Worth Radio and Television

As far as I know, the proprietor, Mike Shannon, is no relation to Larry Shannon. However, there is content on his site about Larry, KFJZ, KXOL... pretty much the whole shebang. It's a tremendous resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users