7 replies to this topic

#1 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Is there any known history about the retaining wall on the north side of Jacksboro Highway. Traffic, weather and time prevented me from stopping and taking pictures, but I know the retaining wall has been there prior to the 1970's when I lived in the area.

You can tell on some properties, there are still some old steps that go up the hill to the back of the properties above Jacksboro Hwy. There are also some possibly wide enough gaps in the wall to have been entrances to driveways.

Does anybody know anything?

Thanks
GenE

#2 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

I know exactly where you're speaking of. . . I have often wondered the same. . . I can't remember ever seeing homes there.

#3 Pam Lea

Pam Lea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth History, Historic Buildings

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

When I was a kid I lived on Grand Ave, which is at the top of the hill above the highway between Northside dr and Park St. There were houses that faced Grand Ave however there were none that faced Jacksboro Highway. This was about 1966 - 1969.

#4 fortworthman

fortworthman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, Sociology, Truth.
    Mundus Vult Decepi - "The World Wants to be Deceived"

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:10 AM

I can remember the retaining walls in 1951. As I recall, the landscaping then was not much different than what you see today (2007). It was sort of scrubby then. A clue to aging some of these old sites can be found in the width of the tire tracks in old dirt or concrete driveways. The more narrow ones indicate c.1920's and before. This was becasue they were built for cars like the Ford Model - T, and others, which had a more narrow tire width than modern day cars.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#5 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

So maybe there were homes there at one time. . .and whenever the highway was widened, the houses were demolished. . . My guess.

#6 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(GenE @ Feb 4 2007, 09:02 PM) View Post

Is there any known history about the retaining wall on the north side of Jacksboro Highway.
GenE

I posted the following on TXDOT.

The following information has been sent to the:
Ft. Worth District
Name: Genevieve B. Shockley
E-mail: gshock7768@sbcglobal.net
Address:
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip: 78664
Phone:
Comments: Can you give me some guidance toward finding the history of the retaining wall on the north side of Hwy 199/Jacksboro Highway in Fort Worth? In searching the web, I have found that the road was built around 1939. There are gaps in the wall that might indicate former driveway entrances to the back of the homes that sit above Jacksboro Hwy/Hwy 199 and face Grand Ave. Also, if you are able to provide an answer or direction to finding the information, I would like to post your response on www.fortwortharchitecture.com as I have asked the same question there with little information gained. Thank you for any help, Genevieve B. Shockley

#7 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

This is an interesting topic. I wonder if the retaining walls are part of the original construction? It looks to me like the "driveway" gaps are pre-planned to allow ownership access.

Historic note: I believe that Jacksboro Highway was built in 1929-30 rather than 1939. I don't know if this original section was built as 4 lanes or 2 and then widened later. I remember reading that the section north of Lake Worth was widened after WWII, I believe.

During the "good roads" campagns fo the 1920's and 30's to get paved roads between cities, most of the state and federal highways that were created just paved over mostly exisitng roads. I find it interesting that 199 was really cut through where no others already were. It didn't use existing right-of-way as far as I could see. I think this is a little unusual for the time. And expensive.

After it connected to Henderson downtown, it just went right up the base of the bluffs toward Lake Worth (The city of Lake Worth did not exist at this time). There are a number of vintage 1929 postcards that show the Lake Worth amusement park, the old 9 Mile bridge and the new construction of Jacksboro Highway and its bridge across the lake.

199's original designation was SH34. It continued south of Fort Worth as the old Mansfield Highway. In the late 1930's or during the 1940's I think it was redesignated SH199. The Mansfield Highway eventually became old US 287.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#8 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

I don't think any home were built above the wall. Most of the land was taken over by the people living above. One or two made driveways, but hard to get up them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users