• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 kksmith

kksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

I seem to recall there was an Underwood's Bar-B-Que in Fort Worth. (It's a cafteria, but serves barbeque, fried chicken, etc.) Anyone remember where? And when it closed?

This question is prompted by several recent trips to Brownwood, which has the only remaining Underwood's. It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest restaurants in Texas. Also, it's a real throwback to the good old days!

Thanks for any responses or recollections.

#2 Pam Lea

Pam Lea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth History, Historic Buildings

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

I remember in the 70's there was one on Division street in Arlington, possibly in the building now housing a BBQ place, can't remember the name, but it is next to Candlelite Inn.

#3 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

I remember that place - wasn't there a second one like out in River Oaks or something?

#4 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

There was one in FTW a LONG time ago. My boyfreind's family lives in Brownwood and I ate at Underwoods a few months ago. YUM YUM! They did tell me there was another one in FTW at some point. I think Camp Bowie maybe?

#5 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

http://underwoodsbbq.com/

If you read the history, it tells you that there were over 30 locations at one time. Pretty interesting...

#6 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

There was an Underwood's in River Oaks on 183 about a block or two southwest of the Roberts Cut-Off intersection, near the last location of the Security State Bank (now a Walgreens or CVS or something, the bank building is long gone). I vaguely remember it because my parents used to occasionally get some take-out from there after going to the bank.

#7 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have a 1958 Fort Worth Telephone Directory. At that time there were three Tarrant County locations. They are:
5437 River Oaks Blvd.
4505 NE 28th St.
1206 E. Division St.

#8 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

Is the BBQ good?

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

The big Underwood's cowboy neon sign is now at a BBQ place in Everman.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

That would probably be at Hickory Stick. I never knew that's where the sign came from.

#11 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Jan 9 2007, 12:43 PM)  

That would probably be at Hickory Stick. I never knew that's where the sign came from.

When you mentioned Hickory Stick that brought back the memory of an old barbecue restaurant back in the 1950's on Seminary Drive, just west of the old S&H Green Stamp warehouse. It in fact was called the Hickory Stick. A couple of other good old Fort Worth barbecue restaurants were KC's on Berry Street just east of 8th Avenue/McCart and the Big Apple on the northside. I haven't been by the old KC's in several years but last time I was by there the building and sign were still there.

#12 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

There was one in Waco back in the late 1980's when I was in college at Baylor. It was really good food as I recall! I have no idea if it is even still there. It was way out on Valley Mills Drive.

smile.gif mary bess

#13 kksmith

kksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for their answers and recollections!

#14 fortworthman

fortworthman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, Sociology, Truth.
    Mundus Vult Decepi - "The World Wants to be Deceived"

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(bailey @ Jan 9 2007, 07:29 PM)  
QUOTE(JBB @ Jan 9 2007, 12:43 PM)  

When you mentioned Hickory Stick that brought back the memory of an old barbecue restaurant back in the 1950's on Seminary Drive, just west of the old S&H Green Stamp warehouse. It in fact was called the Hickory Stick. A couple of other good old Fort Worth barbecue restaurants were KC's on Berry Street just east of 8th Avenue/McCart and the Big Apple on the northside. I haven't been by the old KC's in several years but last time I was by there the building and sign were still there.

I remember th Big Apple BBQ. In the early 1950's. The owner was a black lady by the name of Mrs. Hester. It was the best tasting BBQ place.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#15 danny

danny

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Custom Trim Contractor

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(kksmith @ Jan 8 2007, 11:08 AM)  

I seem to recall there was an Underwood's Bar-B-Que in Fort Worth. (It's a cafteria, but serves barbeque, fried chicken, etc.) Anyone remember where? And when it closed?

This question is prompted by several recent trips to Brownwood, which has the only remaining Underwood's. It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest restaurants in Texas. Also, it's a real throwback to the good old days!

there was one on ne 28 th st in haltom city
somewhere between haltom rd and beach street

#16 FWFF'r

FWFF'r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Antiques, Artifacts, History, Rustic Furnishings, Baseball

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(kksmith @ Jan 8 2007, 11:08 AM)  

I remember the Underwood's that was in the triangle formed by E. Seminary - Wichita St. - Mansfield Hwy. http://maps.google.c...2&t=h&z=16&om=1 It was in a building behind the strip center on Wichita St that had a Mott's & Army Navy store.

That's the main one I can remember eating at as a child in the late 60's/early 70's. I thought they had the best BBQ & served something I have never again had in a BBQ restaurant or any other restaurant for that matter. I found out years later that it was a pork steak smothered in BBQ sauce & baked until it was melt in your mouth tender. My wife's family reintroduced it to me in a home made version...

#17 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

There was still one open in Brownwood as of about 6 years ago...

#18 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

Underwood's is amazing. When I was a kid my parents would load us in the car and drive down to Brownwood on the occassional Saturday morning just to eat lunch there. The one in Waco was there even in the late 90s, as I used to go there when several of my friends went to Baylor. I was heartbroken the first time I saw it as a Chinese food place. I haven't been down to Brownwood in years but my parents still call to rub it in whenever they get down there.

#19 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

My family ate at the Underwood's in Brownwood last fall. At the risk of having my Native-Born-Texan card revoked I have to say that I was not impressed. Sorry, but there are a ton of better places here in Fort Worth.

#20 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (FWFF'r @ Jun 12 2007, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kksmith @ Jan 8 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember the Underwood's that was in the triangle formed by E. Seminary - Wichita St. - Mansfield Hwy. http://maps.google.c...&...p;z=16&om=1 It was in a building behind the strip center on Wichita St that had a Mott's & Army Navy store.

That's the main one I can remember eating at as a child in the late 60's/early 70's. I thought they had the best BBQ & served something I have never again had in a BBQ restaurant or any other restaurant for that matter. I found out years later that it was a pork steak smothered in BBQ sauce & baked until it was melt in your mouth tender. My wife's family reintroduced it to me in a home made version...

Greetings for the oldest continously inhabited city in the country!

Long time lurker, First time poster.

I remember this location. When I was kid a church that my family attended was getting ready to build at a new location, and as a temporary location we used the old underwood building for a while. The interior was pretty much intact and from what I remember the kitchen was all there for the most part. This would have been sometime between '85 and '89. Looking at the Google image in the link, I believe it sat right where the CVS is now.

#21 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (fwpcman @ Jan 9 2007, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 1958 Fort Worth Telephone Directory. At that time there were three Tarrant County locations. They are:
5437 River Oaks Blvd.
4505 NE 28th St.
1206 E. Division St.

Today, 1206 E. Division St. is home to another BBQ joint, called "Bodacious BBQ." It's pretty good, too.

#22 The Haltom City Kid

The Haltom City Kid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:History, Music, Cooking, Politics

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (fwpcman @ Jan 9 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5437 River Oaks Blvd.
4505 NE 28th St.
1206 E. Division St.

The 28th Street store was on the corner of NE 28th and Gene in Haltom City.
We ate there a lot, we lived just down the street a few blocks. We also hit the one in Wichita Falls on our trips to Vernon to see family. The meat was okay, but what I remember the most was their au gratin potatos. Them were some top notch spuds. I hope the one in Brownwood is still open, I would drive that far just for the 'taters.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however, billions of electrons were temporarily disturbed.

#23 kksmith

kksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (The Haltom City Kid @ Jul 26 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (fwpcman @ Jan 9 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5437 River Oaks Blvd.
4505 NE 28th St.
1206 E. Division St.

The 28th Street store was on the corner of NE 28th and Gene in Haltom City.
We ate there a lot, we lived just down the street a few blocks. We also hit the one in Wichita Falls on our trips to Vernon to see family. The meat was okay, but what I remember the most was their au gratin potatos. Them were some top notch spuds. I hope the one in Brownwood is still open, I would drive that far just for the 'taters.

Hey, Haltom City Kid, the Underwood's in Brownwood is still open, and it is great. Plus it is a throwback to earlier times. It is definitely worth stopping at, in my opinion.

#24 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (mbdalton1 @ Jan 12 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was one in Waco back in the late 1980's when I was in college at Baylor. It was really good food as I recall! I have no idea if it is even still there. It was way out on Valley Mills Drive.

smile.gif mary bess

They had on on 28th St. west of Belnap a few blocks. The one in Waco was nice, but it is gone. Maurice Lambert

#25 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

I remember going to the one on Seminary and Wichita streets when I was really young. My grandparents lived not to far from there until 1969.
I ate their with my dad a few times as late as 79 or 80. I'm guessing it closed not too long after then. Last time I passed through that part of town, several years ago, it and most of the other buildings I remember around there were gone, replaced by newer buildings.

#26 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

Going off on a tangent.... when I first lived in Fort Worth in the late 1980s, I remember going with some guys from GD to a barbecue place that (I think) was on Hwy 183 between West Loop Dodge (which became West Loop Hyundai and now is a used car lot) and Hwy 80 (now Camp Bowie West). I remember the day we went there it was raining hard, and the building was best described as "ramshackle" When we sat down we had to leave one seat at the table empty because there was a leak in the roof right above it. As I recall, I think it may have started as a walk-up place that had sections added to provide indoor seating. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I think it might have been the first time I ever had Texas barbecue (but certainly not the last!)
My blog: Doohickie

#27 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Jan 11 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Going off on a tangent.... when I first lived in Fort Worth in the late 1980s, I remember going with some guys from GD to a barbecue place that (I think) was on Hwy 183 between West Loop Dodge (which became West Loop Hyundai and now is a used car lot) and Hwy 80 (now Camp Bowie West). I remember the day we went there it was raining hard, and the building was best described as "ramshackle" When we sat down we had to leave one seat at the table empty because there was a leak in the roof right above it. As I recall, I think it may have started as a walk-up place that had sections added to provide indoor seating. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I think it might have been the first time I ever had Texas barbecue (but certainly not the last!)

You must be talking about "Rancher Bill's". I believe the outside of the building was yellow.
The place had been around for decades. Awful barbecue (my opinion).
I ate there finally about the last year it was open. Remember getting out of the truck and being knock down by the smell of vinegar. Sure enough it was in the sauce. For weeks I couldn't get the smell or the taste out of my mind. I don't miss it a bit. Hope this helps.

#28 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

That could have been it.
My blog: Doohickie

#29 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Regarding current Bar B Q situation in Fort Worth, I guess that Angelo's is now the oldest. I do remember the Big Apple though as a youngster never went there, but Deer's also had a place in River Oaks near the current Bowling alley in that strip mall area. Underwoods was as you say near CVS.

#30 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Jan 14 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding current Bar B Q situation in Fort Worth, I guess that Angelo's is now the oldest. I do remember the Big Apple though as a youngster never went there, but Deer's also had a place in River Oaks near the current Bowling alley in that strip mall area. Underwoods was as you say near CVS.

How long has Bailey's BBQ downtown been around? I read a blog that said the building has been around since 1931, but I don't know how long BBQ joint has been there. I imagine a good long while. Reminds me of the Record Grill in Dallas, a tiny hut surrounded by towering buildings...

#31 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Bailey's. Riscky's and Sammie's all go back more than 50 years --

Angelo's is a relative newcomer

#32 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Buck @ Jan 21 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bailey's. Riscky's and Sammie's all go back more than 50 years --

Angelo's is a relative newcomer

I checked the city directories at the DT library and Bailey's is listed at it's current location as far back as 1932.

#33 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

Vegetarian now, but as a kid Ford's on 8th Ave was best. Really lean, hard, smokey. Even now I could go for their fried pies 'cause I'm not a vegani.

#34 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Angelos has been around a long time Buck.

http://www.angelosbbq.com/

#35 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (fortworthman @ Feb 8 2007, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bailey @ Jan 9 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JBB @ Jan 9 2007, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember th Big Apple BBQ. In the early 1950's. The owner was a black lady by the name of Mrs. Hester. It was the best tasting BBQ place.

Mrs. Hester was not black. She also had Hesters on the Hill on 28th.

#36 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE (FWFF'r @ Jun 12 2007, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kksmith @ Jan 8 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember the Underwood's that was in the triangle formed by E. Seminary - Wichita St. - Mansfield Hwy. http://maps.google.c...&...p;z=16&om=1 It was in a building behind the strip center on Wichita St that had a Mott's & Army Navy store.

I went to that location as a child with my parents. It was a little expensive compare to some of the other bbq places. I didn't like the BBQ but l did like the desserts and the soft drinks.

#37 stevee

stevee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

The only Underwood's I visited several times was the one on NE 28th St. I liked the crunchy fried chicken more than anything else, I miss it.

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (m lambert @ Jan 30 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (fortworthman @ Feb 8 2007, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bailey @ Jan 9 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JBB @ Jan 9 2007, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mrs. Hester was not black. She also had Hesters on the Hill on 28th.

I think this comment refers to Pappy Williams and the Big Apple BBQ on Cliff Street. (don't know his wife's name)

#39 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

There was still one open in Brownwood as of about 6 years ago...

The Underwood's in Brownwood is still alive and kicking. They just sent me a Underwood's Tee shirt with the original logo on the front and a photo of the original Underwood's on the back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users