• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pelligrini

pelligrini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

After reading some of the other tidbits of information about other existing ranch houses in a couple recent threads, I thought I might try to confirm one of the stories I know.

When I first moved to Fort Worth in '72 there was a small ranch house on Walton, right next to Westcreek Elementary. The old structure is now gone to make way for Little Peoples Park. My folks had always told me that it was the last remaining parcel of a large ranch that was sold to create Wedgewood, although, a lot of what is considered Wedgewood is platted as South Hills Addition. They also told me that part of the deal when selling the land was that they could still keep livestock on the property for as long as they wished. That was probably true, as my sister and I fed the cows quite often when walking to Westcreek for school.

Erik France

#2 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

I haven't been in Wedgwood long enough to remember that house, but if it was pre-development ranch house, it was only about 350 yards from the one that still stands on Wooten Drive. Maybe it was a guest house?

#3 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Dec 20 2006, 11:14 AM) View Post

I haven't been in Wedgwood long enough to remember that house, but if it was pre-development ranch house, it was only about 350 yards from the one that still stands on Wooten Drive. Maybe it was a guest house?

The house was an old farm house that was on the property before the area was developed. It's location was the corner of Walton and Wilkie Way. There were cattle on it for many years as the houses built up around it. There are houses an a kids park on the property now and it butts up to Westcreek Elementary.

#4 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(bailey @ Dec 20 2006, 01:45 PM) View Post

The house was an old farm house that was on the property before the area was developed. It's location was the corner of Walton and Wilkie Way. There were cattle on it for many years as the houses built up around it. There are houses an a kids park on the property now and it butts up to Westcreek Elementary.

OK. It's a bit interesting to me that it was so close to the other pre-development house out here, though.

You've been out here forever, I assume you're familiar with that house on Wooten I keep referencing?

#5 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Dec 20 2006, 04:39 PM) View Post

QUOTE(bailey @ Dec 20 2006, 01:45 PM) View Post

OK. It's a bit interesting to me that it was so close to the other pre-development house out here, though.

You've been out here forever, I assume you're familiar with that house on Wooten I keep referencing?

I may be having brain lock but I can't picture a house like that on Wooten. It's a fairly long street so where exactly was it located?

#6 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

The Wooten house would be almost due north of the old farmhouse on Walton, between Westcreek and Vega on the south side of the street. Look for a lot that at first looks overgrown but in fact is just obscured with flora. Rather than facing the street, the house faces east; it's hard to be sure through all the vegetation, but I think the house is wood-frame rather than brick. It's nothing fancy, but it looks extremely out of place.

Note that you can also see this property on the north side of Wedgway -- the lot extends all the way between the two streets.

I'd refer you to a Google map but I think that pushes the bounds of the rules of the forum.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Until you gave this more specific information, I couldn't find it on Google Maps. I did finally locate the house and can tell that it doesn't fit the neighborhood. I will have to drive or ride my bike by the house soon. I was actually on bike through Wedgwood this weekend, but my route took me a couple of blocks away from the house. As for the rules of the forum, this is about as far as I would like to go in giving a specific location. If I could figure it out from this thread, then others can, as well.

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

This is further west, but I think Mrs. Bryant is still alive from the Bryant ranch family (as in Bryant Irvin Road).

She was in her 90s and living in California. As I recall, she was in the first graduating class from the original Arlington Heights High School location on Camp Bowie.

#9 TxConnie

TxConnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

Interesting. Wish I could find a map from that period. My husband moved to Walton in 1963. At the time, Walton ended on their house and a old 2 lane dirt road continued on. He can't remember a ranch house. he does remember the house on Wooten.

#10 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (bailey @ Dec 20 2006, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may be having brain lock but I can't picture a house like that on Wooten. It's a fairly long street so where exactly was it located?

I grew up (and currently live) down the street from that house. It is in (I think) the 3500 block of Wooten, about half-way between Vega and Westcreek. The house is on the Wooten side, but the property actually takes up four lots, two on Wooten and two on Wedgway. The trees on the Wedgway side produced "horse apples"...deadly weapons when I was a kid!

#11 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

In the late '50's, we used to hunt prairie dogs and Jackrabbits in the area of the Edwards ranch that is now where Hulen intersects Grandberry Road. Sometimes 'Red', the ranch foreman and some of his boys would ride up furiously on their horses and threaten and cuss us and try to chase us off. We would leave, but would return usually within the hour. Eventually they would tire of all the dramatics and leave us be.

When the county began cutting the streets of the new Wedgewood addition, some of my rowdy friends would come out at night and, fueled by Falstaff and Schlitz would help the county by improving on their street design. Some became very proficient with graders and D-9 Cats.

#12 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (sonny 2 @ Nov 22 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the county began cutting the streets of the new Wedgewood addition, some of my rowdy friends would come out at night and, fueled by Falstaff and Schlitz would help the county by improving on their street design. Some became very proficient with graders and D-9 Cats.

That explains Wedgwood's loopy street grid! tongue.gif

#13 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (sonny 2 @ Nov 22 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the late '50's, we used to hunt prairie dogs and Jackrabbits in the area of the Edwards ranch that is now where Hulen intersects Grandberry Road. Sometimes 'Red', the ranch foreman and some of his boys would ride up furiously on their horses and threaten and cuss us and try to chase us off. We would leave, but would return usually within the hour. Eventually they would tire of all the dramatics and leave us be.

There were definitely plenty of Jackrabbits in that area. We moved into a new home in 1958 one block north at Granbury Road and Wedgmont Circle. There was a fence across the street from our house and everything toward what would become Hulen was open fields. The cows would wake me up in the morning just across the street from our house. None of the homes had fences so our backyards were one open neighborhood that included the Southwestern Bell Telephone Building. I had a border collie and of course all dogs ran loose. Every night she would go out and catch a rabbit and skin it in our back yard. We didn't have to buy much dog food as she did her own hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users