2 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

Here are some images of a June 30, 1929 Fort Worth Greeters Guide that was recently added to the Electric Books collection. The Greeters Guides were published monthly for hotel patrons and tourists.

It's an interesting time frame with Fort Worth having a population of almost 200,000, Cotton and grain crops doing well, the railroads at their peak, the Interurban generating profits, the Stockyards humming and the oil boom to the west still running fast and new paved roads everywhere. Dismukian music was trilling its bouncy but essentially empty sounds. Jazz was moving on past Dixieland toward the big bands with the great black musicians beginning to be appreciated if not integrated.

Just a few months away lies the great stock market crash, issuing in the Great Depression. In 1931 the Interurban will cease running, the railroads would find their traffic drifting down until WWII, some banks would fail but new car sales would continue to rise.

Cover Page

Central Business District & Index

Welcome & FW facts - 1

Church List & FW Facts - 2

Transportation Page 1

Transportation page 2

Hotel Advertising

Back Cover

Pete Charlton

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 Pam Lea

Pam Lea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth History, Historic Buildings

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for posting.. I looked at this on ebay.

Question, what is the electric books collection?

#3 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hi Pam..

The EBC is simply the name I use for my collection of old maps and paper. In (sur)real life I am an antique map, book & paper seller as well as a collector and I have a little proprietorship business called Electric Books. Old Fort Worth/Tarrant County maps are a specialty of mine and I have a number of originals dating from from about 1885 to the present as well as large format reproductions of the public domain maps for this area.

I also sell high resolution large format printed reproductions of many of the original maps and items in the EBC as well as offer a CDROM with 200+ Texas maps from 1780 to 1930 on it. These maps and the CD's are sold through a number of dealers in Texas. I am currently working on a long overdue CDROM with over 100-150 older maps of Fort Worth, Tarrant County and North Texas from the EBC. My website has more information..

Thanks for your interest...

Pete Charlton
www.lectricbooks.com

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users