Jazz Club Coming To Downtown Fort Worth

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:05 AM

Jazz club coming to downtown Fort Worth
By SANDRA BAKER

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH — A jazz club is coming next year to the mix of restaurants and bars in the Sundance Square entertainment district downtown.

The Scat Jazz Lounge will open in the basement of the Burk Burnett Building, at the southwest corner of Main and Fourth streets, early next year.

The venue will complement the live music, theater and comedy that's already staged in Sundance Square, said Johnny Campbell, president of Sundance Square.

The 2,500-square-foot club will get a private entrance on Main Street.

Scat Jazz Lounge is owned by Cary Ray, Neil Connell and Ricki Derek under the name Satchmo LLC.

“We love Sundance Square and the direction of downtown Fort Worth,” Ray said. “The venue will attract local musicians, as well as talent from outside the area, with an emphasis on old school classic jazz. We will feature small ensembles in a relaxing environment where guests can have a conversation and enjoy the music.”

I'm glad they're adding more and diverse entertainment venues to the downtown area (Sundance Square).

#2 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

I love it. Exactly what Sundance is missing.

#3 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

ph34r.gif Bring back the Caravan of Dreams!

#4 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:51 AM

Looks like more than just one new club, according to the FW Buisness Press...

Two more downtown clubs make for lively nightlife scene

Jenny Eure - September 25, 2006

Downtown after dark is about to get a lot more alluring. Whether it’s Dallas nightclub impresario William Powell, who has an 8,000-square-foot Houston Street hot spot in the works, or a couple of Fort Worth locals with an 8th Street Havana-inspired venue, an up-and-coming club scene is well on its way to making downtown Fort Worth a nightlife destination.
At the 501 Houston St. address, Powell, known for such venues as Ruby Lounge, has penciled a lease for space above Bennigan’s restaurant. Although Powell and the venture’s partners, CWD Investments, would not disclose the club’s name, they did confirm that they are looking into opportunities to open bars and restaurants in Fort Worth. According to a Sept. 7 Dallas Observer article, the venue will be called AquaLounge, and will open in late October.

What’s more, Embargo, a Cuban/Miami-themed dance club, complete with specialty mojitos and a stock of cigars, has been quietly hosting private parties in preparation for its October opening. Brian Forella, owner of 7th Street haunts The Torch and Wreck Room, and Andrew de la Torre, are the club’s co-owners; it will be located at 210 E. 8th St., in the Pig & Whistle Pub’s former location.

Other venues on the horizon include lounges at the Omni and Sheraton hotels and the Scat Jazz Lounge, slated for a 2007 opening in the Burk Burnett Building on Main Street.

The downtown nightlife market is poised for expansion, according to data from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

In the past 10 years, gross sales at downtown eateries increased by more than $30 million, to $54.6 million. From 2004-2005, gross sales at downtown bars and lounges increased by more $2 million, to $11.7 million.

The increase in nightlife occurs when entrepreneurs extend the “evening out” beyond dining and entertainment, said Andy Taft, president of Downtown Fort Worth Inc. As more nighttime entertainment is offered in downtown, bars and clubs will attract more mid-cities and Dallas residents, not including increased business from conventioneers and Omni guests, he added.

De la Torre, Embargo’s co-owner, said the increase in clubs is part of a shift to make downtown a nightlife destination.

“We were always lacking in the nightlife arena,” de la Torre said. “All these bars are coming down here and they’re all kind of creating downtown Fort Worth as a destination for nightlife.”

As more places are added, patrons may start to walk downtown more, increasing the “bar-hopping” atmosphere that Fort Worth is lacking, he added.

The incoming venues’ impact on existing clubs will depend largely on what type of clubs are added, said 8.0 Restaurant and Bar manager Ryan Duncan.

“If it’s just a small pub-type place, people aren’t going to flock to downtown to go there,” Duncan said. “But if it’s more of a high-volume thing, and it’s a ‘see and be seen,’ then it could benefit everybody.”

The downtown night scene is relatively new, added Duncan.

“The word is just getting out. As every year passes, more and more people are recognizing that this is the place to be as far as nightlife is concerned,” he said.

Despite the influx of nightclubs and bars, Taft said an older market is still being underserved. He added that the increase in bars also presents noise, traffic, trash and parking issues.

“In rare occasions, people overindulge, which leads to unpleasant public behavior,” Taft said. “We need to make sure that the public realm, streets and sidewalks, to all downtown users, remain as friendly as they are today.”

Contact Eure at jeure@bizpress.net

#5 Wyatt

Wyatt

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

Re: The Scat Lounge Jazz Club to open in Downtown Fort Worth.

My Response:
Let's continue to create a growing Fort Worth culture by focusing heavily on the arts and entertainment.
The talent is here in Fort Worth and no longer should anyone need to feel that a drive to Dallas to be necessary.
We have all the capabilities to enhance the experience in our city.
Sure, every so often your favorite artist may not make it to Fort Worth. We can fix that too!

Good luck to The Scat Lounge.

I'll be glad to check you out.

#6 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Interests:Writing, photography, sci-fi, games, music.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

According to lounge singer Ricki Derek, the Scat Jazz Lounge is now on track after some delays for an October opening.

- Writer, musician, photographer, general nerd.

#7 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 21 2007, 11:08 AM) View Post

According to lounge singer Ricki Derek, the Scat Jazz Lounge is now on track after some delays for an October opening.

The club is still going to happen - the location has changed to the basement of the Woolworth building. SS management sent me this note...

We ran into many issues with historical nature of the Burk Burnett building where it was going to be. As a result we have changed plans and will be opening this same lounge in the basement of the Woolworth building, just one block over. We just finalized all of the paperwork this week. Our goal is still to have it open this year although it will be closer to the end of the year. It will be underneath the Jos A Bank store. cool.gif

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Grand opening of Scat Jazz Lounge is tomorrow, the 6th! Bernie, Steve, Pete, Pete, and myself will be doing the West and Clear podcast this week from the grand opening, so if you're attending stop by and say hi!

#9 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

IPB Image

Folks, let me tell you - the Scat Jazz Lounge is out-freaking-standing. Ricki has absolutely *nailed it* with this place. Opening night was packed, and performances by Ricki and the great Johnny Reno had 'em dancing and cheering into the wee hours. The atmosphere, the decor, the sound (oh my, the sound) - it's all top-notch.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

My buddy Steve-o, fellow West and Clear-ian, has done a great write-up on the place. Here's a sample:

"He’s nailed the 1940’s cool vibe with an old school neon sign in the alley and a speakeasy entrance. Inside the club, the lights are low, there a sumptuous round booths and empty spots on the walls where the black-and-white photos of those who play at the club will soon hang. Just sitting there, you are thinking the Copa, the Sands, the Brown Derby. It’s what would be in your mind’s eye if you imagined a jazz club.

But if you are worried that this is some sort of jazz Disneyland where people will hang out in fedoras (no offense, Kevin) and drink Gibsons while doing their best Jimmy Cagney, I assure you that ain’t what’s going on. The sound is first rate and whole milieu is just right. It isn’t overdone, it’s not anachronistic — it’s contemporary and sophisticated."

Check out the full report, with more of Steve's writing and Pete G.'s great photos:

http://westandclear....at-jazz-lounge/

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Milieu? That's so NPR. tongue.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

First time to the Scat Lounge for me. Pretty interesting. Not tons of people at 1am on a Fall Tuesday. Good music and nice place, however. These few shots are not great like A/Gs preceding mine. But these are FRESH! Fresh beats good, doesn't it?

www.fortworthview.com

#12 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Man, I wish I could get my favorite musician to play here. Anyone know how to get a show booked.

He is quite possibly the coolest man alive and the most talented jazz trumpet alive.

Ephraim Owens

http://www.myspace.com/ephraimowens

#13 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Following is a link to contact info from their website. It lists the email for booking as well as what to send. I think he'd make a great addition to their line-up!

http://scatjazzlounge.com/contact/

#14 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

I've been meaning to make this somewhat selfish comment for a number of weeks. I had occasion to go to to Scat to see Curtis Fuller a few weeks ago and it was magical. The room is great but as a trombone player myself, I was in awe of the 74 year old legend who ripped it up the way he did. Then I got meet him! Super honor for me. Thanks to Scat and to Adonis Rose for booking the show.

#15 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (mnmassie @ Sep 24 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Following is a link to contact info from their website. It lists the email for booking as well as what to send. I think he'd make a great addition to their line-up!

Ask and you shall receive. I'd like to believe that my persuasive writing skills are just so good that a simple email made this happen but Ephraim Owens is playing Scat with the Red Young Organ Quartet this Wednesday at 8pm. I'd wage a cover charge for everyone that attends that you will thoroughly enjoy this guy.

#16 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Oct 4 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mnmassie @ Sep 24 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask and you shall receive. I'd like to believe that my persuasive writing skills are just so good that a simple email made this happen but Ephraim Owens is playing Scat with the Red Young Organ Quartet this Wednesday at 8pm. I'd wage a cover charge for everyone that attends that you will thoroughly enjoy this guy.

Thanks for letting us know! I may have to go check him out!

#17 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Just a bump to make sure you go check out Ephraim Owens tonight at Scatt Jazz lounge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users