• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

This is just about to open up at 309 Main. Anyone know what it's all about?

I know Richardson was a leading citizen in the city decades ago; I'd have to get out my Ft. Worth history books to refresh my memory as to just what he did.

Was he so accomplished that a complete museum, located on very prime real estate, could be devoted solely to him? Or is someone (his heirs?) using his name for a museum about Ft. Worth in general?

-Jim

#2 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

It's actually a "reopening" as the building has been closed for about a year for renovations. Here's their web site: http://www.sidrmuseum.org/

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(1963Parade_of_Homes @ Aug 23 2006, 10:12 PM) View Post

Was he so accomplished that a complete museum, located on very prime real estate, could be devoted solely to him? Or is someone (his heirs?) using his name for a museum about Ft. Worth in general?

The museum houses Richardson's art collection.

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

I remember seeing the museum some 3 years ago. was getting some ideas for interiors on a restaurant. Wonderful showcase of ornamented rider chaps and beautiful saddlery. Pieces from Mexico and Argentina. Nice bronze works. Amazing stuff, glad to see it RE-open.

It reminded me of the Cowboy Art museum in Kerrville. Without the view of the Hill Country.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 mhill

mhill

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(1963Parade_of_Homes @ Aug 23 2006, 11:12 PM) View Post

This is just about to open up at 309 Main. Anyone know what it's all about?

I know Richardson was a leading citizen in the city decades ago; I'd have to get out my Ft. Worth history books to refresh my memory as to just what he did.

-Jim

Sid Richardson was an oilman and one of the richest men in America. He was a frequent visitor to the Eisenhower White House. He was a confirmed bachelor but his sister married Perry Bass who had four sons and they have a Performance Hall named after them smile.gif After he died, she and her husband inherited a few dollars from Sid Richardson smile.gif Sid was good friends with Amon Carter and they share a love for Remington and Russells paintings--I don't remember who influence the other. They frequently exhibited their painting at the Fort Worth Public Library gallery until the Amon Carter Museum was built. Then the Richardson paintings were exhibited with the Carter paintings until the Sid Richardson Museum was built.

Max

#6 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

I remember back when the collection was hosted by the Amon Carter...some time later I met the Director-Grand Poohbah of the collection, and mentioned seeing the artwork at the Amon Carter. I had always assumed it was a colletion owned/housed by the Amon Carter. After I expressed this misunderstanding to her (the Director) she indignantly replied that I was mistaken, and the collection was simply awaiting its own sovereign exhibition space...jeeez, pardon me for not knowing who's Russel was who's. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users