• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

Tonight on PBS Channel 13, starting at 7:00pm and then at 8:30pm:

Texas History Productions
Made by KERA

Big D Back When 7:00pm
The distinct neighborhoods that grew up around downtown Dallas in the decades following the turn of the century and helped to create the city's unique character are the focus this KERA production. Big D Back When combines archival film footage, still photos and interviews with a wide range of Dallasites to create a portrait of the past that offers fascinating insights about how Dallas has evolved. Among the neighborhoods featured in Big D: Back When are Little Jerusalem - which later became Little Mexico - Deep Ellum, the Thomas and Hall community now known as State-Thomas, Old South Dallas and Oak Cliff - a separate city until it was annexed by Dallas in the early years of the century. The program also highlights La Reunion, a short-lived utopian colony along the Trinity that was settled by European immigrants. For new Dallasites and longtime residents alike, Big D: Back When offers an entertaining and informative look at how early neighborhoods grew up and changed in relation to downtown, the river and the railroads. Most of all, however, this is the fascinating story of the people themselves, the pioneers, the visionaries and the families who made something special out of Big D - back when. Premiered in March 1995.

Cowtown Memories - A History of Fort Worth 8:30pm
The early days of the cattle industry that gave Fort Worth its enduring nickname, the promotional genius of Amon Carter, the 1936 Frontier Centennial and the birth of Texas Swing are just a few of the topics covered in this nostalgic and historically fascinating special. The program explores how oil, aviation, railroads, commerce, the media, an ethnically and culturally diverse populace - and, of course, cattle - helped to shape a growing city. Through vintage photographs, film clips and the recollections of those who were there, the special weaves a Texas tapestry as colorful as it is complex. Premiered in 1994.

smile.gif Mary Bess

#2 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

I know I have seen the Fort Worth one before and could swear I saw the Dallas one too. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'll be watching!

#3 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Appreciate the post on this as well, saw it advertised a few weeks ago and had forgotten.

Did anyone else happen to catch the sign which read something like "Dallas passports will checked and OK'd before passing through?" I believe it was during the segment talking about FTW keeping up with it's brother to the East.
Not sure if I got the wording correct, if anyone TIVO'd, please correct me. Regardless--it was greatness! newlaugh.gif

#4 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Holden @ Aug 16 2006, 09:07 AM) View Post

Appreciate the post on this as well, saw it advertised a few weeks ago and had forgotten.

Did anyone else happen to catch the sign which read something like "Dallas passports will checked and OK'd before passing through?" I believe it was during the segment talking about FTW keeping up with it's brother to the East.
Not sure if I got the wording correct, if anyone TIVO'd, please correct me. Regardless--it was greatness! newlaugh.gif

No I missed that . Thats funny. newlaugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users